Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Loose drive shaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 09:25 AM   #1

Default Loose drive shaft

Since recently the shaft keeps coming out of the axle housing.
I understand it is held in place by tightening the screws that hold the 2 axle housing parts and the red piece that connects the link.
I need to tighten it more and more and I guess next time I will strip the thread. Anything to solve this ?
Has been on the shelf for most of the time and started driving it earlier this year so it is not a worn out truck

http://imgur.com/a/wv5ctrp
picklewars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Loose drive shaft

lol thats a axle shaft and the bearing exploded its a cheap fix just need a new bearing 5x11x4 if i remeber corectly
just take off the end peice and remove the peices of the old bearing

the hardest part is gona be cleaning the axle cause now you have dozens of tiny steel balls rolling around inside of your axle so the entire axle needs to be taken apart so you dont have more problems down the road
also might be a good idea to oil the other bearings or replace them
you can buy a bearing set for those axles pretty cheap then you know you have good bearings through out

Last edited by ferp420; 10-01-2022 at 10:58 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:30 AM   #3

No not really

https://imgur.com/gallery/AQgUEG2

Looks like there is not enough friction to keep it together when I tighten the screws.
Only happens at rear right side

Last edited by picklewars; 10-03-2022 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's a bearing issue ... your axle shaft is supposed to be kept captive inside the axle housing by a lip resting on a bearing on each side. Looks like your outer bearing is missing, it's the one supposed to prevent the axle shaft going out on the wheel side.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Take a look there : https://www.astramodel.cz/en/eview/axid9047/rear.html
You're either missing bearing AXA1221 or your axle lockout AX31383 is shot.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #6

When the AX31398 screws are loose I can slide out the axle (same on both sides). When I tighten them firmly it holds everything in place… On side wants to slide out more easily.
No parts are missing or damaged. Like I said the truck is barely used
Old 10-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

from the firstpicture there is what apears to be a bearing race were the bearing should be
the second picture is useless we all know what a 10.2 looks like a generic pic dosent help you at all
back to the shaft the only thing that holds it in is the bearing that you only have part of so unless you can provide more information that shows something else
from what you have shown us here you need a bearing i dont care if it was instaled yesterday its not there in the pic
it is posable you or someone else just installed it wrong
ive never seen a lock out fail but it could happen but theres no bearing there just a race

and besides there cheap

one of the down sides to rc is they break sometimes in a few minutes sometimes years down the road and bearings are ware items you should have a fresh pack on hand at all times cause well like now your bearing exploded and you need a replacement
Old 10-03-2022, 07:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The AX31398 screws do not hold the axle in, they are there for the lower link mount. Overtightening them is crimping your axle which may help it from sliding around, but that's not what hold them in place and will eventually melt from the friction.

I'm not sure why you are not listening to what people are telling you. There is NO bearing in the pic where it needs to be. I suspect it's inserted in the end of the housing which is wrong - it needs to be in the lockout, not the housing - otherwise, the axle can slide around. I don't care if it's barely used, it's assembled wrong.

There needs to be a bearing in the outer edge of the rear lockout (BLUE). Take off the wheel and hex from the axle, take off the lockout and push the 5x11 bearing in. Slide the axle through the bearing until it STOPS. it is held in place by the little lip (RED). Re-install the lockout with the axle in it. The bearing should now be riding on the spot indicated by the black arrow, but inside the lockout, which is how it is designed. The lip (RED) will keep the axle from sliding out. Repeat on the other side. Loosen any overtightened screws so the axle spins freely.

EDIT: on a side note, it may be tempting to leave the bearing in the housing and add another in the lockout - don't, it will bind up. One in the lockout is how it was designed and works fine.

Last edited by OSRC; 10-03-2022 at 08:01 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
The AX31398 screws do not hold the axle in, they are there for the lower link mount. Overtightening them is crimping your axle which may help it from sliding around, but that's not what hold them in place and will eventually melt from the friction.

I'm not sure why you are not listening to what people are telling you. There is NO bearing in the pic where it needs to be. I suspect it's inserted in the end of the housing which is wrong - it needs to be in the lockout, not the housing - otherwise, the axle can slide around. I don't care if it's barely used, it's assembled wrong.

There needs to be a bearing in the outer edge of the rear lockout (BLUE). Take off the wheel and hex from the axle, take off the lockout and push the 5x11 bearing in. Slide the axle through the bearing until it STOPS. it is held in place by the little lip (RED). Re-install the lockout with the axle in it. The bearing should now be riding on the spot indicated by the black arrow, but inside the lockout, which is how it is designed. The lip (RED) will keep the axle from sliding out. Repeat on the other side. Loosen any overtightened screws so the axle spins freely.

EDIT: on a side note, it may be tempting to leave the bearing in the housing and add another in the lockout - don't, it will bind up. One in the lockout is how it was designed and works fine.
if you dont put the bearing in the axle housing the shaft bends alot easyer its not needed but i always install it and never had one bind i have bent my share of shafts though untill i figured that out
it was a bigger issue on the og scx10 axles and the ar60s then on the 10.2 the 10.2 has a better design and dosent really need the extra suport but ive always done it with my other axles and since theres a bearing pocket i use it

Loose drive shaft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
loose axle shaft need help humve Axial SCX-10 22 07-29-2015 09:07 AM
Transmission output shaft screws loose. flyboy320 Axial Wraith 8 04-09-2015 11:04 PM
Drive Shaft comes loose NHebayer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 11-01-2012 02:41 AM
Drive shaft comes loose. Dirby Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 01-25-2009 07:40 PM
Rear Axel Output Shaft Getting Loose... I SMOKE ROCKS! Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 01-12-2009 07:40 PM