Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10 III coming soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #421
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 III coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbo_baggins View Post
Here ya go!
That's the one. Installed it into the Ryft transmission yesterday morning, and, as can be seen in the above photo, it fit exactly as if it were the SX107.

For those needing the lower piece of the Axial servo saver...the piece that supposedly 'only' comes with the SX107...the truth is, it does NOT come 'only' with the SX107. Axial has AXIC3009 (Hi-Low Servo Saver Kit), which not only includes the different tooth count (23T, 24T & 25T) pieces of the lower part, but also includes two different top pieces, providing the different horn lengths. On top of that, Vitavon Racing has a machined 7075 servo saver that is a spot-on copy of the servo saver included in the Ryft, Capra, & SCX10-IIIs, AND includes the lower piece.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 06-03-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #422
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks!

That's why I couldn't find it. I was looking in the servo section.

That is a great price.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #423
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
That's the one. Installed it into the Ryft transmission yesterday morning, and, as can be seen in the above photo, it fit exactly as if it were the SX107.

For those needing the lower piece of the Axial servo saver...the piece that supposedly 'only' comes with the SX107...the truth is, it does NOT come 'only' with the SX107. Axial has AXIC3009 (Hi-Low Servo Saver Kit), which not only includes the different tooth count (23T, 24T & 25T) pieces of the lower part, but also includes two different top pieces, providing the different horn lengths. On top of that, Vitavon Racing has a machined 7075 servo saver that is a spot-on copy of the servo saver included in the Ryft, Capra, & SCX10-IIIs, AND includes the lower piece.

More good info. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #424

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming I could buy the servo and that kit, and be all set and ready to run dig and/or 2 speed?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
killbo_baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #425
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 III coming soon?

Is the spline on the Powerhobbies servo a standard sized spline or a mini spline? Kinda looks like a standard size in the picture. (Asking, as I have a few mini servos with standard size splines and some with mini size splines).

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../AXIC3009.html

I do have the AX31009 (part number on the runner) Servo horns. These are for standard size servo splines and not the mini splines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Phyro; 06-03-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #426
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming I could buy the servo and that kit, and be all set and ready to run dig and/or 2 speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Is the spline on the Powerhobbies servo a standard sized spline or a mini spline? Kinda looks like a standard size in the picture. (Asking, as I have a few mini servos with standard size splines and some with mini size splines).

I do have the AX31009 (part number on the runner) Servo horns. These are for standard size servo splines and not the mini splines.
To be completely honest, I wish I had an answer for both of you...but, I don't. I wanted to wait until I got home to reply, as I wanted to test the piece that comes with the SX107, as well as the pieces that come with the AXIC3009 kit. Having tested them, all I can say right now is, I'm thoroughly confused. Let me explain.....

First, I tested the bottom pieces from the AXIC3009 kit on a standard servo having a 25T spline. This was how I determined which piece was for a 25T servo spline. Next, I tested that same piece on the MG59...and, it's too big. Looking at the two servos, I can easily see that the spline on the MG59 is smaller...so, thinking it might be the same as the spline on the SX107, I removed the complete servo saver from a dead SX107, and gave it a try...and, it's too small.

Obviously, something is NOT right. As for why I'm 'confused', I pulled out my social calipers, and measured the diameter of a standard servo's 25T spline, and it measured 6.0mm. Next, I measured the SX107's spline, and it's 4.85mm. Finally, I measured the spline of the MG59...and it's 4.95mm. Literally, 0.1mm larger in diameter than the SX107 spline.

I'm going to call PowerHobby tomorrow, to see what they say. Honestly, I hope they have an answer. Maybe they're not even aware, and are under the impression that the spline is exactly the same diameter as the SX107 spline. Maybe the factory "goofed" in manufacturing the spline parts. Whatever it is, I hope to be able to reply back tomorrow with an answer.

In the meantime, does anyone know the tooth count on the SX107? If it's 25T, then there's the possibility that the bottom pieces of the servo saver could be pushed down with a little extra 'forced'...although, I'd prefer not to do that...which is why I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:10 AM   #427
Rock Crawler

Quote:
To be completely honest, I wish I had an answer for both of you...but, I don't. I wanted to wait until I got home to reply, as I wanted to test the piece that comes with the SX107, as well as the pieces that come with the AXIC3009 kit. Having tested them, all I can say right now is, I'm thoroughly confused. Let me explain.....

First, I tested the bottom pieces from the AXIC3009 kit on a standard servo having a 25T spline. This was how I determined which piece was for a 25T servo spline. Next, I tested that same piece on the MG59...and, it's too big. Looking at the two servos, I can easily see that the spline on the MG59 is smaller...so, thinking it might be the same as the spline on the SX107, I removed the complete servo saver from a dead SX107, and gave it a try...and, it's too small.

Obviously, something is NOT right. As for why I'm 'confused', I pulled out my social calipers, and measured the diameter of a standard servo's 25T spline, and it measured 6.0mm. Next, I measured the SX107's spline, and it's 4.85mm. Finally, I measured the spline of the MG59...and it's 4.95mm. Literally, 0.1mm larger in diameter than the SX107 spline.

I'm going to call PowerHobby tomorrow, to see what they say. Honestly, I hope they have an answer. Maybe they're not even aware, and are under the impression that the spline is exactly the same diameter as the SX107 spline. Maybe the factory "goofed" in manufacturing the spline parts. Whatever it is, I hope to be able to reply back tomorrow with an answer.

In the meantime, does anyone know the tooth count on the SX107? If it's 25T, then there's the possibility that the bottom pieces of the servo saver could be pushed down with a little extra 'forced'...although, I'd prefer not to do that...which is why I'll be calling them tomorrow.

You could always count the teeth if you got one
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:23 AM   #428
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
You could always count the teeth if you got one
As already started, I have one...actually, I have 4. After a little research (checking the tooth count on the Reef's 99), I believe that the spline is the same 25T Micro Spline as the Reef's 99. The SX107, on the other hand, is a 20T Micro Spline (which would account for why the 59MG is 0.1mm larger in diameter (I'd assume that the Reef's 99 spline is the same diameter as the 59MG).

Thankfully, all is not lost...if you have a 3D printer, or know someone with a 3D printer (of which neither applies to me ). You can download a file from Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4546674), allowing you to print a bottom piece that will fit the 59MG, or Reef's 99. This would work with all three vehicles, as all three use the same micro servo saver. And, if that falls, you could always skip the servo saver design completely (as many have done), and just go with the same aluminum horn others use on the Reef's 99 (again, same 25T Micro Spline). Until I can call PowerHobby later today, those are my best suggestions for now.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #429
Rock Stacker

Quote:

IHMO with just a 0.1mm interference and using the plastic servo saver base, you should be able push that on and pry it off with just a bit of extra force. Working it and wiggling it should help widen the splines.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #430
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
IHMO with just a 0.1mm interference and using the plastic servo saver base, you should be able push that on and pry it off with just a bit of extra force. Working it and wiggling it should help widen the splines.
You didn't read where the Spektrum SX107 has a 20T micro spline, and the Reef's 99 & PowerHobby 59MG both have a 25T micro spline.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #431
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You didn't read where the Spektrum SX107 has a 20T micro spline, and the Reef's 99 & PowerHobby 59MG both have a 25T micro spline.

Yes, I did miss that. I can't keep the spline counts straight in my noggin.

I'm a standards guy. They exist for reasons like this. It seems incredibly silly that there isn't a standard spline for each servo size.

So, if the spline count matches, I would stand by my post.

Of course, I also fix electrical issues with a hammer.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #432
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
Yes, I did miss that. I can't keep the spline counts straight in my noggin.
Of course, I also fix electrical issues with a hammer.
Standard? You mean, there's supposed to be a 'standard'...lol. On a related note (to your final comment), I've been known to suggest to engineers that they fix their problems with a sledgehammer.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #433
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Standard? You mean, there's supposed to be a 'standard'...lol. On a related note (to your final comment), I've been known to suggest to engineers that they fix their problems with a sledgehammer.

Hahaha! We can dream.

Engineer's problems usually exist in their head. Perfect application for the tool.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #434
I wanna be Dave

Advice about engineers....... Never trust one unless you can see their locomotives.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #435
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Advice about engineers....... Never trust one unless you can see their locomotives.

Hang up and Drive
I understand that one...lol. And, I'm still awaiting that callback. In the meantime, I've ordered an aluminum version of the bottom piece through RC Mart, which "claims" to be for a 25T micro spline. This, in addition to the version in awaiting from Vitavon. If all else fails to I'm willing to give that 3D printed version a try...just need to find someone local who can print it for me.

SCX10 III coming soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Yeah Racing SCX10 II Accessories RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-23-2019 03:25 PM
Coming soon the Reef's RC Products SCX10/SCX10 II Sliders! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-18-2019 11:29 AM
Coming Soon the NEW SSD SCX10 II CVD Axle Shafts! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-30-2018 04:36 PM
Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2? TFitzPat87 Axial SCX10 II 23 01-13-2017 11:46 PM
SCX10 Noise coming from the axle UNDEAD_DC Axial SCX-10 7 03-01-2014 05:08 PM