Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: --- Crawler Innovations "White Lightning Wraith" ---

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #121
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: --- Crawler Innovations "White Lightning Wraith" ---

New video with the wraith in it:

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #122
I wanna be Dave

I could have a watched a few more minutes of that!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #123
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I could have a watched a few more minutes of that!
Thank you for the kind words sir
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #124
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The last two videos of this wraith it was using:
62 Spur / 8 Pinion = 7.75 gear Ratio
With the 13.5 Tekin motor, Mamba Max Pro ESC, & 4S Lipo it was fantastic for crawling, OK for speed. I could have installed a bigger pinion for more speed, but I like smooth start up and low speed crawlability. Simply put the 13.5 motor was doing the best it could. Time for something new.

Something new;

Size comparison;

I find it's easier to drop the skid out of the wraith for motor changes;

62 Spur / 12 Pinion = 5.16 gear ratio
The 5mm shaft really limits gearing options for a crawler. The smallest 5mm - 32P I can find is 11 which I ordered but still need to install.
62 Spur / 11 Pinion = 5.63 gear ratio
I'd like to gear lower, so I'll either have the shaft machined down to 3mm or buy the new 3mm arm shaft from Tekin for the Pro4.

Ready to be re-installed into the wraith;
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #125
Rock Stacker

some pretty cool rigs
jpomenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #126
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpomenich View Post
some pretty cool rigs
Thanks. The majority of RC's pictured on the first page have been sold or parted out. They don't tend to stay around the shop to long.

1.9 MRC Comp Rig = Sold
2.2S Sportsman Rig = Sold
Berg Comp Rig = Sold
Berg Super Class Crawler = Parted out & Sold
6x6 Rig (although not pictured but mentioned) = Parted Out & Sold

Leaving the 2 Toyotas, Jeep, XR10 (not pictured), & Wraith.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #127
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The last two videos of this wraith it was using:
62 Spur / 8 Pinion = 7.75 gear Ratio
With the 13.5 Tekin motor, Mamba Max Pro ESC, & 4S Lipo it was fantastic for crawling, OK for speed. I could have installed a bigger pinion for more speed, but I like smooth start up and low speed crawlability. Simply put the 13.5 motor was doing the best it could. Time for something new.

Something new;

Size comparison;

I find it's easier to drop the skid out of the wraith for motor changes;

62 Spur / 12 Pinion = 5.16 gear ratio
The 5mm shaft really limits gearing options for a crawler. The smallest 5mm - 32P I can find is 11 which I ordered but still need to install.
62 Spur / 11 Pinion = 5.63 gear ratio
I'd like to gear lower, so I'll either have the shaft machined down to 3mm or buy the new 3mm arm shaft from Tekin for the Pro4.

Ready to be re-installed into the wraith;
Did not know about the 3mm shaft from tekin the Pro4 is next for me... my rig is ready for it... Your's is SICK..thats all i can say
Crash1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #128
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Sadly this will be the final update on this rig for a while. I crashed and broke it.

This happened about a month ago and the day started with me pulling the white interior out to install an old silver interior I had modified for a Go Pro mount. This was going to be the first outing with my new to me go pro I acquired from Szczerba. The plan was to use Szczerba's go pro in the wraith and the second go pro on the side of the hill to capture the hill climb footage. So Gavin and I set out to our pond to hill climb up the back side of the bank. We captured some footage and headed over to the large rock piles.

Stupidly I thought it would be cool to capture footage of a small hill climb next to a very deep puddle and of course, the wraith fell in it after it broke another long side axle shaft. (The Tekin Pro4 on 4S geared down to 5.63 is ridiculous for torque). The go pro was not in a water proof case and after it's dip in the drink it was malfunctioning. As I drove the wraith out of the pond back towards the shop, I lost sight of it briefly. It was long enough that I hit a random tree log that was hidden / out of view from where I was standing at half throttle.

I heard a loud bang and then loud gear clicking noises. It tore the wraith up pretty bad. It snapped both lower chassis rails and the damage would have been worse had it not been for the DMG bumper tubes and DMG front lowering chassis brace. I don't know the full extent of the damage because the skid and everything attached to it were pulled from this truck for a new 2.2 TTC Southern Buggy style build that's still sitting on the shelf.

I have new chassis parts to repair what's broken on the wraith chassis. The plan is to use the majority of the white lightning wraith chassis, panels, interior, etc in a new and completely different style build that will be crawler based, not go fast like it was.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #129
Rock Crawler

My under hood looks better than that..... Especially since I bought your new electronics tray! How did your tray hold up?
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #130
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
My under hood looks better than that..... Especially since I bought your new electronics tray! How did your tray hold up?
Thank you for your business

The tray held up fine. The front stinger and both lower chassis braces broke. I was able to straighten the DMG Chassis Lowering Brace by putting it in a vice, heating it up, and then moving the tubes back into position.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #131
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Update on this rig:

The axles and trans found there way into a new home:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374408907.354807.jpg
Views: 7539
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374408925.227530.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  122.2 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374408955.809648.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374408972.326904.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  115.2 KB

The white lightning plastic chassis has been repaired and upgraded with parts from DMG & Carter Fab & Machine. The chassis is now @ Szczerba Innovations to receive it's new axles and trans. Got something very different planned for the build.

Sent from the Pit Bull G6
Old 07-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

That rig looks even better in person!! Btw cant wait to try out those new outdrives
Rich
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #133
RCC Addict

Quote:
The VP goodies arrived Saturday so I was able to get these parts mounted:

VP titanium Tie Rod
VP titanium Drag link
VP Wraith aluminum knuckles
VP aluminum C hubs
I got the servo mounted

The VP tie rod has a lot of toe in with it. It had more than I wanted so I cut 1/4" off a Jato rod end and used it on one side instead of a revo end. Everything else was straight forward.

[CENTER]

I ran into a similar problem. The tie bar you have looks like the ackerman bar. They sell a standard fit bar too that has more bend in the links and sticks way out. I like the ackerman bar better though.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hot Racing makes down to a 9T 5mm pinion. Bought one of eBay for my summit a while ago. You'd have to make a motor spacer plate though since they extend the length of the pinion to reduce it so much. Hot Racing Traxxas E-Maxx 3905 RC Car upgrades and Hop-ups

More sizes. http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?c=421

Last edited by SkinInc69; 07-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sadly this will be the final update on this rig for a while. I crashed and broke it.

This happened about a month ago and the day started with me pulling the white interior out to install an old silver interior I had modified for a Go Pro mount. This was going to be the first outing with my new to me go pro I acquired from Szczerba. The plan was to use Szczerba's go pro in the wraith and the second go pro on the side of the hill to capture the hill climb footage. So Gavin and I set out to our pond to hill climb up the back side of the bank. We captured some footage and headed over to the large rock piles.

Stupidly I thought it would be cool to capture footage of a small hill climb next to a very deep puddle and of course, the wraith fell in it after it broke another long side axle shaft. (The Tekin Pro4 on 4S geared down to 5.63 is ridiculous for torque). The go pro was not in a water proof case and after it's dip in the drink it was malfunctioning. As I drove the wraith out of the pond back towards the shop, I lost sight of it briefly. It was long enough that I hit a random tree log that was hidden / out of view from where I was standing at half throttle.

I heard a loud bang and then loud gear clicking noises. It tore the wraith up pretty bad. It snapped both lower chassis rails and the damage would have been worse had it not been for the DMG bumper tubes and DMG front lowering chassis brace. I don't know the full extent of the damage because the skid and everything attached to it were pulled from this truck for a new 2.2 TTC Southern Buggy style build that's still sitting on the shelf.

I have new chassis parts to repair what's broken on the wraith chassis. The plan is to use the majority of the white lightning wraith chassis, panels, interior, etc in a new and completely different style build that will be crawler based, not go fast like it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I ran into a similar problem. The tie bar you have looks like the ackerman bar. They sell a standard fit bar too that has more bend in the links and sticks way out. I like the ackerman bar better though.
Weird that I did not have this issue. I ordered the 3/16 titanium drag link and tie rod together and did not have any toe issues and I'm running the same wheels and tires as he is. I am using axial aluminum XR knuckles and c hubs instead but I doubt that makes any difference pertaining to toe.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

The srairh frame is so cheap that it seems the only reason to retire it is the want for something new and not boreing ;)

Curious how the Union angles look with long output on the front.

Those max shafts looooook gooooood.

This rig spells awesome with the modded tires on it. With the rock beasts it kinda knocked back into the same category as every other wraith.

Last edited by evan03; 07-21-2013 at 11:32 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #137
Pebble Pounder

just wondering who made the awesome looking blue tube frame ? Couldn't figure it out...
12stepRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stepRC View Post
just wondering who made the awesome looking blue tube frame ? Couldn't figure it out...
mojave450rider laid down the main chassis lines. I bought it from him and added the shock mounts and some bracing, as well as making upperlink suspension mounts, etc.

First post is how I recieved the chassis.

Szczerba's Scramblin' KOH

This rig still works good. I have been to two G6 with Eddie and it has performed great.
Szczerba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #139
Pebble Pounder

Thanks and I gotta hand it to that's one beastly looking rig
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #140
Pebble Pounder

Why does it have to be that all the tube frames that I would actually be interested in purchasing are either "only one ever made" or "for a limited time only the low low price of $5000" lol jk but great job once again