Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Another wraith.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
I would not use loctite on bead screws hell they strip easy enough as it is.. If thats the problem which I don't think it is use silicone it works great and breaks free as easy as without but holds great.. I believe you have a set of wheels with some machining error it happens. I'd get with vp and find a solution I'm sure they'd be more than happy to work with ya

J-bird
J-bird, Im pretty sure he's talking about loctite on the surface of the bead, not the screws.. Similar to how Axial recommends you put loctite on the axles before they go in the locker.. Kind of a good idea - Will try that, Thank's Ontario.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
I would not use loctite on bead screws hell they strip easy enough as it is.. If thats the problem which I don't think it is use silicone it works great and breaks free as easy as without but holds great.. I believe you have a set of wheels with some machining error it happens. I'd get with vp and find a solution I'm sure they'd be more than happy to work with ya

J-bird
Not the screws, the inner rim bead. it will help to bond the tire to the rim, and wont be like gluing if you want to change later.

its like grabbing a wrench with oil on your hand, add something to help the grip, and your good to go.

Edit: yep you got it! Never understood why they say put it on the lockers, mine still has plenty of play lol

for shits and giggles, here my wraith:

ill be watching for insperation!

Last edited by OntarioCrawler; 10-17-2011 at 04:40 PM.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioCrawler View Post
Edit: yep you got it! Never understood why they say put it on the lockers, mine still has plenty of play lol
Hahaha - Yea, I never really understood it either. Grab some of these - http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ls-locker.html . I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Good lookin rig.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Hahaha - Yea, I never really understood it either. Grab some of these - http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ls-locker.html . I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Good lookin rig.
well whataya know! looks like a good idea! if my paypal was working, id be right on it!

And thanks, its mainly stock, though i finally got it running decently. if i find anything ill be sure to post up.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #45
Sometimes, I make things.

Quote:
So the solution to fix my already expensive wheels is to spend more money, orrrrr even more money ? I dont think so...

Well, i wouldnt want to glue tires to those expensive wheels, and unless you do something like make a spacer to wedge in between your ring and tire to clamp the tire more firmly, i dont see another solution besides removing some material from the face of the rim. It wont be seen, and its an easy fix, and it will remain just as easy to mount the tires. I dont know of anyone that makes a shim to clamp the tire under a ring harder, i imagine it would be a PITA to mount a tire with a whacky shim in there.

If they are already used, there is no sending them back to VP (i dont think so anyways), another solution is to sell those wheels and try another set but you will just loose money. Easiest fix=sand them down. Its up to you, do what you want, i was just trying to offer a solution to the problem you were looking for a solution for.

Maybe use a piece of another tire to cut a ring (or from and use that to pinch the tire better, but if it was me, i would sand them down
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Oh never glue them. thats why loctite. its designed to harden and secure things. Beats grinding them down.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #47
RCC Addict

32p Spur ive been using, No real issues - had a rock jump up and take a tooth off - finished off 3 packs with a missing tooth. Didn't sound pretty, but it did it - Still a good spare!

TowerHobbies.com | DTXC9397 DuraTrax Spur Gear 32P 56T Nitro Evader BX

Paired up with one of these (5mm shaft on Pro4)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBAWE&P=7
Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
32p Spur ive been using, No real issues - had a rock jump up and take a tooth off - finished off 3 packs with a missing tooth. Didn't sound pretty, but it did it - Still a good spare!

TowerHobbies.com | DTXC9397 DuraTrax Spur Gear 32P 56T Nitro Evader BX

Paired up with one of these (5mm shaft on Pro4)
TowerHobbies.com | 91165 Associated Pinion Gear 32P 14T 5mm Shaft
whats the advantage to going to a 32p? ive never had problems with my 48p gears.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #49
20K Club

Quote:
whats the advantage to going to a 32p? ive never had problems with my 48p gears.
It's pretty easy to strip 48p gears if you drive hard or run high power.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Good to know. Though, if you setup your gear lash correct you shouldn't ever have a problem. ive run 2s lipo's and a 55 turn venom through my scx10 and never had the gears skip a tooth.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #51
20K Club

Quote:
Good to know. Though, if you setup your gear lash correct you shouldn't ever have a problem. ive run 2s lipo's and a 55 turn venom through my scx10 and never had the gears skip a tooth.
Not true at all. The tooth size can only sustain so much stress. If your logic was true we could all run 64p. A setup with 2s and a 55t is on the low low side of the power scale for a truck like this.

3s lipo and brushless or 3s lipo and a 13t Crawlmaster are going to put much more abuse on the drivetrain. Let alone when we bump up to 4 or 6s lipo. Also 5.5" tall sticky tires make for more resistance.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Not true at all. The tooth size can only sustain so much stress. If your logic was true we could all run 64p. A setup with 2s and a 55t is on the low low side of the power scale for a truck like this.

3s lipo and brushless or 3s lipo and a 13t Crawlmaster are going to put much more abuse on the drivetrain. Let alone when we bump up to 4 or 6s lipo. Also 5.5" tall sticky tires make for more resistance.
Exactly what Harley said. My motor's got enough balls to make a 48p spur looks like a smooth disc with holes.. 32p is pretty much mandatory for this ride/one with horsepower. The smaller the face of the tooth on the gear, the less load it can handle.. 48p is cool for 2wd stadium trucks and stuff. But were talking about putting lots of horsepower to the ground - NOW, Slipper's are for sissy's and any plastic in the drivetrain is a joke..

Speaking of failing drive-train parts, Rear ring gear's got teeth bout as sharp as a shark - so, time to upgrade. Nice to see the through pin!

Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET (Yes, this is stock ratio)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #53
20K Club

So the new HD gears are helical cut now too?! Thats cool to see.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
So the new HD gears are helical cut now too?! Thats cool to see.
Yessir! Those were the words right out of my mouth when i picked em' up.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Nice gears Ray
Lil Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Alright, so from a novice when it comes to power, and a budget around $150, i have a 25C 2s lipo that works for me, what motor and esc would you recomend. I love SLOW crawling, with tons of control, but its nice to have a blip of speed.

I have a 55t venom and a 55t axial now, but im fine with getting something if it give me what i need. Also, i should have gotten the 7955 servo, im kicking myself for getting a 5645MG digital.

I found most standard 55T dont like 2s power, and i was looking at brushless, but i always thought a low turn brushless was built for speed, not torque.

Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Your wraith is the bomb diezel!

Ill be running mmp/13.5t, 13 or 14mm rotor on 3s. I guess ill need to run 32 pitch then!
I liked 87/16 in my scx10, had good low and top end. Whats an all around good 32pitch spur and pinion #? 56/14 or 58/14?
may have to try that 4 pole motor also

Last edited by Cableman; 10-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I like 56/14, personally. Fit's my driving style. Just that little bit of extra wheelspeed.

Time to get down to business.
Josh... My bank account hate's you.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I like 56/14, personally. Fit's my driving style. Just that little bit of extra wheelspeed.

seriously? can i have your job? id love to drop 200 on a servo...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #60
20K Club

Quote:

Boom. Win.

That servo kicks the shit out of EVERY SERVO I'VE EVER USED.

I run 60/15 which is the same ratio but won't fit in the spur cover. A little better tooth contact patch though. I like the ratio, works great for me.