Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #1901
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

stock gearing and esc with integy 19t motor

works great - good mix between speed and torque

TowerHobbies.com | Integy Matrix Pro Motor 19-Turn Brushed Speed Tuned
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #1902
Quarry Creeper

I mustve missed it on the forums on in here...im kinda new w the vanguard motor...im got one in on trade and don't know much about it other than its fast...doesn't like to crawl really.. kinda cogs out...im have 20t pinion and Robinson racing hd slipper clutch for the wraith installed as well looks like it's an 85 t spur...im I bought say a 24 pinion ,do you think it would work with the crawling or am gonna burn up my new vanguard motor? if I have to I'll buy another motor...wouldn't want to risk it...I also have the waterproof esc that goes w the vanguard motor as well...thanks for your anticipated reply!
87yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #1903
Quarry Creeper

that spur gear looks like the wrong pitch....suckered gonna be noisy as all heck! as long as pitch on pinion is same you should be ok..
87yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #1904

OK running a 16t crawlmaster with 56/10 32p on 2s and still seams to be getting hot. Should I go with the 9T pinion or up the spur? Its in a spawn so not sure what spurs will fit it. Any info is appreciated.
dorafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #1905
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorafo View Post
OK running a 16t crawlmaster with 56/10 32p on 2s and still seams to be getting hot. Should I go with the 9T pinion or up the spur? Its in a spawn so not sure what spurs will fit it. Any info is appreciated.
I run a 60T with the cover in one of my setups, I did have to clearance a few spots on the cover
pmadrid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #1906

I tried searching but found nothing. How long motor can u fit in a Wraith without modding it with a dremel? It seems like the Pro4 HD is one of the biggest ones that fit.

Im planning a Wraith FoFF / Rock racer and im torn between a HW 3656 or Toro 4168 or perhaps a 550sct motor.
jonathansvahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #1907
Quarry Creeper

I will be running a HH 27t pro and BR-XL with stock gearing until i figure out the best gearing for good mixed trailing. Any suggestions?
kingfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #1908
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota View Post
I mustve missed it on the forums on in here...im kinda new w the vanguard motor...im got one in on trade and don't know much about it other than its fast...doesn't like to crawl really.. kinda cogs out...im have 20t pinion and Robinson racing hd slipper clutch for the wraith installed as well looks like it's an 85 t spur...im I bought say a 24 pinion ,do you think it would work with the crawling or am gonna burn up my new vanguard motor? if I have to I'll buy another motor...wouldn't want to risk it...I also have the waterproof esc that goes w the vanguard motor as well...thanks for your anticipated reply!
It isn't too fast, it's sensorless.

Get a 3000-3500kv sensored motor.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #1909
RCC Addict

And just to update...

HH BL Pro 3100kv and an MMP geared 60/13 on 3s hit 200* today. 40 minutes straight laps around the track at work. Still going strong, but the bearing noise is really bad now.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #1910
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: crawlmaster 13t expert and gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31 View Post
I see the note that you do not recommend the HH crawlmaster 13t with 52/12 gears and recommend the 52/10 setup to prevent problems. Is this still currently a problem Or something that's been worked over the past 4 years? What are the details of the problems that occur then if you know. I just installed this motor, bec, and hitec 7950 and wanted to make sure not to smoke something right off the back.
I'd also like more info on this. For instance, if 56/10 is recommended is that with all other driveline components remaining at stock specs? What if I run taller tires for more ground clearance, or different gearing in the diffs to dial in more ground speed? Is this "problem" entirely caused by the spur and pinion?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #1911

Looking for motor and gear recommendations for my wraith. I am interested in the 35t torquemaster but am unsure of the gearing. Most recommend under 15/84 gearing. I am making it a crawler but want a little wheel spin when need be. Recommendation on the gearing? Or a different motor and gearing? Also how do you post pics?

Last edited by 4X4FORFUN; 06-08-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: how to post pics?
4X4FORFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #1912
Rock Stacker

i'm going to make a foff wraith and i want to install a novak ballistic system only problem is motorshaft for pinion is 5.5 mm can i buy a 5.5 mm pinion for a wraith ? thnx
Castor-Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:46 AM   #1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
GEARING!

Ok, I've answered the "what gearing for my xxxxx setup" question about 346 times too many. It's time to try and cover it as best I can here. *However the issue is that it goes hand in hand with motor choice, so this could get windy. These are all just starting points and there are hundreds or thousands of combinations. This is just a quick reference to get new people started in the right direction.

First off, when I refer to numbers in the format similar to "80/20", this means 80 tooth spur/20 tooth pinion. So, 84/14 would mean 84t spur/14t pinion, clear?

Are you running a stock motor? Short story, 84/16

If so then your gearing choices are limited but should be handled immediately if you are running the RTR. The stock gearing 80/20 (4:1 ratio) is too high of a ratio for the stock motor. The stock motor will not last you long anyway but if you want to extend it's life you need to regear, NOW. You are going to lose speed, there is just no way around it, I would suggest an 84/16 (5.25:1 ratio) setup.

Are you running a little higher speed brushed or brushless (Examples: 13t CrawlMaster, 27t TorqueMaster, 13.5 Redline)? Short Story, 56/12 32p (brushed) 56/14 32p (brushless) (note from Holmes- 56/12 has caused problems with brushed motors, we recommend 56/10 or 84/16)

Did you read the post #2? If you are running something I suggested (or similar to that) then the stock gear ratio is probably fine for you. The problem is that the little 48 pitch gears can't hold the power, you need to upgrade to 32 pitch gears. The stock ratio of 4:1 is fine, so you just need to equivalent in 32p. 56/14 is the same ratio. You can still run the stock spur cover with this setup as well. If you want a little more strength and tooth contact area you can go to 60/15 but the stock spur cover is likely a no go. Also with the 60/15 setup some motors require you to do a little filing on the motor plate to slide the motor over further. If you are running/wanting a Tekin Pro4 (or similar high power brushless) then see the last section.

Are you running something for mostly trails and crawling (example, 35t Torqemaster)? Short Story, 84/18

If you changed out your motor to something with a little more low end control and power then you likely could benefit from a better gear ratio. This isn't a must for a setup in this range however. The stock ratio is OK, but just not ideal in my opinion for someone who is looking to spend most of their time going slow. I do still feel that even if you're a rock crawler only that you will benefit from some wheel speed. I would suggest that if you do change gearing you start with an 84/18 setup.

Are you running a Tekin Pro4 (or similar high power brushless)? Short story. just read the rest of it!

If so then you likely need to build everything as strong as possible. I have gone this route personally. My suggestion is the 56t Gen3 metal spur and slipper setup from Robinson racing. To run this setup you will also need to buy a Traxxas slipper rebuild kit, all you will use from this kit is a black spring and a lock nut though. The next thing you need to buy is the Beefy top shaft from v84x4 here on RCC. I will include a link shortly. With the Pro4 you also must buy a pinion that has a 5mm bore and is hardened steel so that it wears more slowly against the steel spur gear, a 14t pinion is my suggestion. The Pro4 is very high power and you will likely spend the rest of your money replacing things in the truck since it was never meant to have something like this bolted into it!

That is my best first shot at handling this question. I'll come back and edit as required.
My Spawn is 32p and I can't seem to find Spurs with 84t. Should I just change to 48p? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't know much about gearing. My stock ESC and motor were running hot today in 100* weather and going into thermal shut down.
GMCSierra2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #1914
I wanna be Dave

Default Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCSierra2500HD View Post
My Spawn is 32p and I can't seem to find Spurs with 84t. Should I just change to 48p? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't know much about gearing. My stock ESC and motor were running hot today in 100* weather and going into thermal shut down.

The 84t spurs are 48p. The stock 56t spur in the Spawn is 32p and about the same overall size as an 84t 48p spur. 32p gears will be more durable than 48p, so I'd suggest leaving your spur as is. If you're overheating in the summer with the stock 56/12 gearing, stay with 32p and try going down to an 11t or 10t pinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #1915

Thanks for that information, never would have figured that one out! Learn something new every time I read through these forums!
GMCSierra2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #1916
Rock Stacker

Anyone have a recommendation for gearing with a roc412 2300kv and mmp? Running 3s for now, but may look at 4s in the future.

Drivetrain is already beefed up, no dramas there. Currently running a trackstar 10.5t (3250kv) with xcar 120a on 3s geared 12/60 and pitbull rockbeast xor's. Temps are around 40c

Reason to go 4s is with then same gearing 4s is pretty similar rpm, so should get similar speed, but if it can handle being geared higher then 3s will do.

I known the 3100 is a far better choice, but I got the combo for next to nothing
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #1917
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for gearing with a roc412 2300kv and mmp? Running 3s for now, but may look at 4s in the future.

Drivetrain is already beefed up, no dramas there. Currently running a trackstar 10.5t (3250kv) with xcar 120a on 3s geared 12/60 and pitbull rockbeast xor's. Temps are around 40c

Reason to go 4s is with then same gearing 4s is pretty similar rpm, so should get similar speed, but if it can handle being geared higher then 3s will do.

I known the 3100 is a far better choice, but I got the combo for next to nothing
I'd probably try something around 56/16 and see how the start up and temps are. Then go from there.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #1918
Rock Stacker

Cheers Harley, 60/14 is the highest I can go with the current spur, so will order something smaller. Just gave it a quick run in the backyard, speed is alright, but great torque and smoothness. If I can get a little more speed out of it, I'll probably be happy with 3s.
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #1919
Pebble Pounder

So I am looking at going with the RC4WD AW2 2sp tranny with a 16/48 (4:1 ratio) pinion spur combo. Being powered by a Tekin 40T hand wound brushed motor and a Tekin FX-R running from a 3s battery.

I am really not interested in brushless at this time.

Any suggestion or insight as to what I am getting into as compared to my current mostly stock SCX-10 setup (axial 27T/AE-2/2S) in my poison spyder wraith? Can anyone confirm that second gear with a 40T and 3s will be plenty of power to move the wraith? My buddy has a axial 55T running behind a 3s battery and AE-2, but it seems to lag abit in second gear.
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #1920

Harley, what do you think about 88T / 20T 48p with a 35T HH TorqueMaster Pro??? It's only for crawling
Benson33 is offline   Reply With Quote