Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #1941
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

There are plenty of waterproof, sensored ESC options ranging from the Holmes Hobbies BLE to various Hobbywing ESCs to the 8th scale ESCs (Mamba Monster X, Viper VTX. There are differences (available settings, interface for settings, internal BEC rating, ability to run brushed/non-sensored, etc), so a little research and reading up in the forums will help you pick the one that best suits you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #1942
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
There are plenty of waterproof, sensored ESC options ranging from the Holmes Hobbies BLE to various Hobbywing ESCs to the 8th scale ESCs (Mamba Monster X, Viper VTX. There are differences (available settings, interface for settings, internal BEC rating, ability to run brushed/non-sensored, etc), so a little research and reading up in the forums will help you pick the one that best suits you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry, thought this was the section to ask to keep info localized.

The Viper VTX8 is discontinued for quite some time now. Had a few of those and they worked well. Something new going on there, new brand I guess they are going with but wouldn't be surprised they get away from the waterpoof thing. I did hear though on another forum something about there software not being exactly the best for crawling. I don't recall the specifics but something about going from forward to reverse.

The holmes hobbies esc looks interesting, but would prefer something that doesn't require an external BEC. But I'll look into it more for sure.

Not seeing where hobbywing is offering a waterproof sensored esc, though the SCT Pro is splash proof.

Looks like the Castle Mamba Monster X may be what the doctor ordered then based on what is out there and wha the Mamba Monster X offers for features.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #1943
I wanna be Dave

Lol...no apologies needed. The reason I suggest reading up is that there are a lot of opinions out there about ESCs, and the responses to any one particular post rarely cover all (or even most of) the bases. I mentioned the VTX8 because it's a terrific ESC (I have 2), can usually handle our electronics loads without an external BEC, and they pop up periodically for sale used. I have been using the BLE on a couple of rigs, and it's excellent but, as you noted, you'd probably want an external BEC for the load you're going to place on it. I don't mind having the external BEC (if it fails, it's a cheap fix) but can understand if you're trying to do without. I haven't tried the Hobbywings, but I've seen their 120A XERUN (WP and supports sensored). Trackstar also has a 150A WP ESC. You'll see various folks praise those brands, and others complain about them. Since I don't have personal experience, I can't comment either way. The Mamba Monster X is new (I haven't tried one yet) but should be a pretty safe bet based on its lineage, specs and Castle's past history. I hope that helps - good luck with your build!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #1944
Pebble Pounder

cool thanks!

I actually still use there viper V10RBE or whatever its called esc, shame they went away.

didn't think to look at the high end racing esc from hobbywing. Not seeing though if it can or can't handle the motor I am looking for, impressions from the website are it can't.

Right now am looking to use this tekin 4.5 550 on 2S as its basically new and I figure why not lol.

Outside of that, biggest thing I am trying to find info on is what 32P setup to use for spur gear. I was thinking kimbrough steel but it sounds like you can't do a direct bolt, and there appears to be people saying a variety of nylon 32P spurs are sufficient.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #1945
I wanna be Dave

I've been running the RRP Slash 32P slippers on my Wraith and SCX-10 with ROC 412 3100s on 3S for over a year and have been very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Baker View Post
Hello all!

Great thread and great forum! This is actually my first post.

I am ordering a Wraith Spawn RTR in the coming days and was looking here for more info on what to plan for.

First of all AlphaDelta's question is something I am really interested in also. How much of a difference are theses more expensive engines?
Are the benefits gonna hit me like a truck or am I gonna be more like, meh, don't really feel it but it sure is shiny. (If going from an Axial 27t to a HH 27t (or equivalent) for instance?)

This Spawn is gonna be my first Crawler and I am not planning to do anything crazy with it. Mainly just running light trail with some basic crawling. Oh and i am at this stage not planning on going for more than 2s LiPo.
I'm a pretty big boy and rather old so I'm not planning on becoming a mountainclimber at this stage.

The question/feedback I have is this: Wouldn't it be a nice addition to add a table of gearing from the factory for the different variants of
Wraith's? I am pretty sure the Wraith Spawn RTR is 56/12 32p , based on some comments here and the fact that if i go to Axial's page for spare parts,
it says there that spare spur is 56 32p and spare pinion is 12 32p.

Now this is ofcourse not set in stone but i can confirm this when i get my pack.

Adding a table like this for the different variants would make it even easier for us noobs mainly to just follow the lines with a finger to figure out what to buy.

Just to clarify for my own sake 56/12 32p would mean if i go for a Axial 27t or some other make/spec 27t, on 2s LiPo should be fine?
Hi! First post for me, too.

I can't confirm the gearing in your RTR, but can say that my kit Spawn came with 56/12 32p gearing. I'm running an Axial 27T on 2S LiPo and it's been just fine. Still going strong after 10-12 hours, and barely gets warm while trail running/crawling. Seems like a decent combo to me.

Not sure about the better motors, but I think one of the main benefits is that they last longer when running higher voltages. I'm actually thinking about going to 3S and trying a HH Crawlmaster 13T or Torquemaster 27T. Not sure what I'll do first: 3S and see how long the Axial motor lasts, or try a HH motor on 2S and see if I notice a big improvement over the Axial motor.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:17 AM   #1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicrawler View Post
Hi! First post for me, too.

I'm running an Axial 27T on 2S LiPo and it's been just fine. Still going strong after 10-12 hours, and barely gets warm while trail running/crawling. Seems like a decent combo to me.
Thanks for the feedback on Kit-gears. What ESC are you using with the 27T?

Looking forward to some feedback when you swap motors.

I am really interested in Tekin's brushed ESC in a combo with their 30T handwound brushed engine.

On ebay they go for approx. 160$
71Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #1948

Ok question getting to much heat in my wraith running a tekin 13.5 brushless with Robinson racing 80 tooth spur. And a 20t pinion. I don't want to change my spur or motor wat would be a good pinion size. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
johnvickery864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Baker View Post
Thanks for the feedback on Kit-gears. What ESC are you using with the 27T?

Looking forward to some feedback when you swap motors.

I am really interested in Tekin's brushed ESC in a combo with their 30T handwound brushed engine.

On ebay they go for approx. 160$
I went cheap and got an Axial AE-5. Works fine, but I guess I wouldn't know any better anyway. The Wraith is my first RC in 30 years, so wasn't sure if I'd get hooked again. But now that I have it, I'm totally hooked! In hindsight, I should have just started with better parts from the beginning.

Unfortunately, we have over a foot of snow here now, so the Wraith won't be seeing that new motor probably until spring.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #1950

Ok question getting to much heat in my wraith running a hh 35t pro brushed with Robinson racing 80 tooth spur. And a 20t pinion. I don't want to change my spur or motor wat would be a good pinion size.

johnvickery864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvickery864 View Post
Ok question getting to much heat in my wraith running a hh 35t pro brushed with Robinson racing 80 tooth spur. And a 20t pinion. I don't want to change my spur or motor wat would be a good pinion size.

Well, the first page suggests 84/18, which is a 4.66 ratio.

If you just want to change the pinion, a 17 with your 80 spur would get you to 4.71.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicrawler View Post
I went cheap and got an Axial AE-5. Works fine, but I guess I wouldn't know any better anyway. The Wraith is my first RC in 30 years, so wasn't sure if I'd get hooked again. But now that I have it, I'm totally hooked! In hindsight, I should have just started with better parts from the beginning.

Unfortunately, we have over a foot of snow here now, so the Wraith won't be seeing that new motor probably until spring.
Time to bring out the modding tools then! The AE-5 seems nice enough and im probably gonna run it with Axial 27T's until i switch to a Tekin system. There are other stuff to take care of before engine for me i think.

I believe its something like 30, maybe 35 years since my last RC too. Began this summer by buying a cheapish basher monstertruck but I am too out of shape to run and flip it over all the time so a crawler as a companion on a walking trail seems more likely to keep me hooked.

Good talkin to ya!
71Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #1953

hi guys,

I'm currenlty looking to build a rc crawler myself. I've looked around and found 20T Electric Motor Wraith Rock Racer I would like to know the technical specs. I've looked everywhere for the specs such as the nominal voltage, power etc.. if anyone can help i would really appricate.

thanks
ryanblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #1954
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanblack View Post
hi guys,

I'm currenlty looking to build a rc crawler myself. I've looked around and found 20T Electric Motor Wraith Rock Racer I would like to know the technical specs. I've looked everywhere for the specs such as the nominal voltage, power etc.. if anyone can help i would really appricate.

thanks
If you really want technical specs. Go look up Holmes Hobbies motors. Some of the highest quality on the market, and HH can tell you whatever you wanna know about them.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #1955
Pebble Pounder

First of all let me say this is the best place to learn about our hobby. And now to my question. I finally upgraded to a higher quality motor and decided on the HH 30t torquemaster expert. As of now i'm running a 80t spur and 16t pinion and the motor does get a little warm after a slow to mid speed trail run,but not hot enough to burn the finger. I like to trail run mostly and a little slow crawling. Right now i plan on staying with 48p gears because i don't plan on using a faster turn motor than what i have. Is my choice of gear ratio too high for the motor to run efficiently?
WranglerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #1956
Quarry Creeper

That should be perfectly fine, I ran my HH 30t with a 20t pinion for a while with no trouble either.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #1957
Pebble Pounder

Thanks HahnsB2, i didn't want to damage the motor. Did you run the 30t with that gear ratio in the Wraith?

Last edited by WranglerMan; 11-24-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #1958
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I ran the 16/80 with the 30t as well as 20/80. I really liked the speed with with 20/80 on 3s but it came to my attention a 5:1 ratio is generally preferred so I gave 16t a shot for a bit and then I went brushless.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #1959
Pebble Pounder

I goofed,i meant to say as of now i'm running 84t spur and 16t pinion. I thought it maybe better to drop down to the 80t spur.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #1960

Any one on this combo and done a diy waterproof on the esc?
Good price ticks all the boxes just not waterproof

Yeah racing hacktronic c sensored brushless esc and 21.5t xta hackmoto combo
Rydelean is offline   Reply With Quote