Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith motor problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

Exclamation Wraith motor problems

Hello everyone, I recently put a new motor in my Wraith & it doesn't want to move, especially in reverse.
Here's what I got in it so far:
Axial HD universal axles
Axial HD diff gears with overdrive in the front
Avid revolutions bearing kit
Savox Sa-1230 SG servo 500oz/in @ 6.0V
Castle Creations 10A BEC set to 6.0V
Dynamite Tazer 12T waterproof ESC with crawler mode 2S capable
max current: forward-38A, reverse-19A
peak current: forward-138A, reverse-190A
MIP Wraith drive shaft kit
RRP steel idler gear & one-piece output gear
Orion 6500mAh 2S 90C
Deans plugs
87T spur 13T pinion

Now here's my issue, I have a RC4WD Bully ARTR that I never got the electronics for because I lost interest in comp crawling. I did however, have a couple Brood motors built for it that are just sitting, new it package. I figured since my Axial 55T was just about dead, I'd try one of these bad boys before getting another cheapee motor. Everything seems fine until the motor is installed. Once installed, I can just barely turn the drive shafts by hand like I do in the following video when the motor is not installed. This video show how freely everything spins without a motor installed. Is is because the motor is meant to be used on a MOA in conjunction with a second motor? Is it meant for 3S instead of 2S? I'm completely baffled! Please help!!!

Here are the stats of the matched set motors:
Brood Apocalypse type T armatures with 35T winds
armatures are ground, polished & dyed
epoxy balanced
10mm comms
stand-up high torque brushes
team 150 11oz springs(firm)
zero timing

Axial Wraith trans & axles without motor - YouTube
Shelbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Default Re: Wraith motor problems

Can you turn the motor by hand when the pinion gear is installed on it, out of the trans? It sounds to me that the motor is just a monster that needs to be broken in, has that been done? If you could post an after install vid showing more of what you're talking please
jakmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Well, I put the Axial 55T back in & now it runs again, but I can tell the motor is almost at the end of its lifespan because I can see the brushes are almost gone. I guess the brood motor can't handle this 10 lb rig so...another 55T is needed since I got the best performance from it over anything else. I just don't understand how this super torque beast motor can't move my truck when I see people claiming they use cheap 35T motors with no problem. What a money pit...
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

I can turn the comm by gripping the pinion, but it is tight to turn. Maybe because of its 2 magnets instead of 4? When the motor was installed, it would kind of buzz and vibrate as if it was struggling to turn the gears. As I gradually gave more throttle, the buzzing would get louder until it would break free from its bind and take off. It acts very similar to an unsensored brushless motor in a crawler. The issue has to be the motor, because with no motor, it rolls like a new hotwheels car. If I get motivated to put the brood back in, ill post a vid of how it doesn't crawl. Also, Eddie at Brood told me all his motors are broke in before they're shipped. But is does sound like the motor has some sort of power issue. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Brushed motors aren't a Wraith's friend. Its just too heavy. I ran everything from Integy to Holmes brushed motors and none lasted. Now I have a MMP and Pro4 and its been performing flawlessly for over 6 months.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

That's what I was thinking, and looking into the roc 412 & pro 4 threads. I just really like the natural water resistance of brushed motors. I have yet to be impressed with the vxl system in a Wraith, so is it hard to waterproof a brushless motor? I have a 100% success rate at waterproofing all other electronics, but never had a brushess system other than my mini revos vxl. I don't plan on going 3S any time soon, so how well do these motors work on 2S? I like the torque and speed of the 55T brushed, so I'm looking for something close to that. I'm thinking the 3300kv roc with a mmp or rx8. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The Roc412 is a 3100kv motor. I've ran my Pro4 3300 on 2s and it has a good amount of torque still. Either way you go both motors are way, way faster than a 55t brushed. As for water proofing, read through some of the dozins of threads on the subject.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

I'm not looking for speed, just crawling power so maybe those would be overkill. I'll keep researching. Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Any brushless motor built for crawling or that's good in a crawler will give you speed. If you don't want the speed then just set the power output to 25% on the esc. It will slow the motor down, but you'll still have the torque. The Novak Ballistic crawler motor is slower, but I don't recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you might want to check out the roc 412 1200kv. I run it on 3s and 6s. 3s alone lacks wheel speed. On 6s i dial it down. Super smooth torque and startup. Its a good buy.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #11

Thanks for the tip, I didn't even think of lower kv motors. I'll keep that in mind!

Wraith motor problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VXL motor heat problems in wraith RcBashertruck Electronics 5 02-18-2013 08:56 AM
Wraith Problems 1fast67 Axial Wraith 22 01-02-2013 09:22 PM
Wraith problems.. HELP!** Trentenowns Axial Wraith 10 12-17-2012 09:42 PM
wraith problems popeye123 Axial Wraith 13 01-13-2012 01:18 PM
AX10 Motor Plate/Motor Mounting Problems md7989 Electronics 8 11-25-2010 01:30 PM