Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Del Monte's Secret Agent build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #401
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Del Monte's Secret Agent build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Huh? Little Jakes or a bling addition to someones finger?
Blang Blang
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #402
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
After some lengthy negotiations, we have successfully opened trade relations with Canada

US/Canada trading is wide open!, thanks for the candy bars jake!
100grand and payday!, FTW

Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #403
Rock Crawler

Oh man, that's bootleggin' right there. Revenuer gone be after you.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #404
Y-Town Crawlers

Default 2013 updates

Here's the first round of changes for my Agent for 2013.

I saw a few guys on here playing with some really lightweight aluminum links, so I thought I would give it another try. These links are 3/16" solid 7075 externally threaded with a 5mm die.

These are 5g a link, compared to 10-11g for my Ti lowers. 10 grams of weight savings doesn't sound like much, but it made a surprisingly big difference in the weight bias and handling of the truck.

I played with a set of .035 walled AL tube lowers that weighted only 3g each, but they didn't survive the post-comp abuse last weekend.

With the lighter weight rear links, I can now get away with running only 30g of knuckle weight per side, and finally use my Nordic Crawler weight holders from Tomy.

I'm also trying out a set of DE racing wheels with VP 600 hubs. I can squeeze two weight plates per side in these wheels, and they are a lot more solid feeling than my HPI's. With a lathe'd down 600 hub, the wheels are within a 1g of my HPI wheels.

Overall, these changes made a definite improvement. The weight bias is better even though the truck is lighter. I'm hoping that with the next round of changes I will be able to drop at least half of the knuckle weights, and get pretty close to the 3lb mark
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #405
Rock Crawler

Those alum links turned out nice, and quite a bit lighter. I was just looking around at work last night for alum scraps for links and rear axle shafts. 5mm threads...what rodends do you have on them?
Wheels came out nice too. Damn, 3lbs. What is it running at currently?
63comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #406
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Ahh those diet crazes. Soon the lipo will be the heaviest thing on there.
Looks good Jake.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #407
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 2013 updates

Quote:

With the lighter weight rear links, I can now get away with running only 30g of knuckle weight per side, and finally use my Nordic Crawler weight holders from Tomy.

I'm also trying out a set of DE racing wheels with VP 600 hubs. I can squeeze two weight plates per side in these wheels, and they are a lot more solid feeling than my HPI's. With a lathe'd down 600 hub, the wheels are within a 1g of my HPI wheels.
E
Looking good

That's a good result with the wheels, 1g heavier but with the beef of the vp hub and less flex in the wheel. Any plans for some y-town wheels? I heard there was something in the mix.

Serious effort getting it that light and having good bias, keep it coming
jakesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #408
Rock Crawler

Nice stance Jake !!! The CG looks very low... These bent links are going on the front, aren't they ? Why that change ? Also a lil question : when preparing your shocks, do you full the shocks body to the brim ? I changed my big bores for some SCX 10 ones and despite the fact that they seem well mounted and full, the chassis is already creating some dampening... Is it normal ?
CrawlrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #409
Rock Crawler

Truck looks very good. The wheels look cool, I have a set of those Borrego wheels lying around for a while but haven't come around to mounting any tires to it. Do you think you can get 3 weights on with a 725 hub ?
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #410
E.Y. Designs

Pics don't work :(.... Can't wait to see them though....
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #411
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

I saw a few guys on here playing with some really lightweight aluminum links, so I thought I would give it another try. These links are 3/16" solid 7075 externally threaded with a 5mm die.

Those DE wheels are nice, the face is a bit flatter then the Losi's so the screws dont distort it to much too.

Black looks tough

Have you changed (or felt the need to) your foams up much or tried anything different getting down to the 3* mark?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #412
Quarry Creeper

Hey jake,
Did the 5mm threads end up being shallow on the 3/16 alum, I mic'd some 3/16" and it's only 4.77 mm. I thought the o.d. Would need to be larger for full threads. Links look great though.

Aaron

Quote:

These are 5g a link, compared to 10-11g for my Ti lowers. 10 grams of weight savings doesn't sound like much, but it made a surprisingly big difference in the weight bias and handling of the truck.

I played with a set of .035 walled AL tube lowers that weighted only 3g each, but they didn't survive the post-comp abuse last weekend.

Overall, these changes made a definite improvement. The weight bias is better even though the truck is lighter. I'm hoping that with the next round of changes I will be able to drop at least half of the knuckle weights, and get pretty close to the 3lb mark
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #413
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63comet View Post
Those alum links turned out nice, and quite a bit lighter. I was just looking around at work last night for alum scraps for links and rear axle shafts. 5mm threads...what rodends do you have on them?
Wheels came out nice too. Damn, 3lbs. What is it running at currently?
I used drilled out revo ends. They feel really solid so far. The current RTR weight is 3lb, 8oz with 1oz of knuckle weight per side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haastnooit View Post
Truck looks very good. The wheels look cool, I have a set of those Borrego wheels lying around for a while but haven't come around to mounting any tires to it. Do you think you can get 3 weights on with a 725 hub ?
3 will be tight with a 725 hub, but you can probably get them to fit if you remove a little material from the ribs inside the wheel.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #414
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj08 View Post
Hey jake,
Did the 5mm threads end up being shallow on the 3/16 alum, I mic'd some 3/16" and it's only 4.77 mm. I thought the o.d. Would need to be larger for full threads. Links look great though.

Aaron
They are a little shallow, but they seem fine so far. I could always CA the rod end on, or drill them for cross pins if needed.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #415
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlrKing View Post
Nice stance Jake !!! The CG looks very low... These bent links are going on the front, aren't they ? Why that change ? Also a lil question : when preparing your shocks, do you full the shocks body to the brim ? I changed my big bores for some SCX 10 ones and despite the fact that they seem well mounted and full, the chassis is already creating some dampening... Is it normal ?
I believe they go on the rear.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #416
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Have you changed (or felt the need to) your foams up much or tried anything different getting down to the 3* mark?
Yeah...I'd think that's the most nerve racking part about glueing tires. I know it's not TOTALLY permanent but playing with weight as much as some do...I'd think foam tuning comes into play as well.

What IS your current foam setup Jake?

Rig looks killer as always.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #417
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Last I heard he was running C.I. 5.25 Closed Cell. Soft outers, Narrow innners F/R...

It looks great! Do you have a pic of your Hubs now that they are lathed down? And how much weight did you drop off the hubs?
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #418
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
I'm running Narrow/5.25" Nova foams in the rear tires.

In the fronts I am trying something different. I am running a rover foam wrapped in a Medium 5.0/5.25 Nova outer tuning ring. I can get a little more tire wrap with these, and they still have enough support for side hills.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #419
Rock Crawler

Looks solid Jake

I think about the same for links. Other ide was 1/4 al tubing with inserts.

Since i run tubes al upper with cfk inserts on my super i think they will holding up great in a 2.2 rig.

Whats your wheel tire combo weight?? Just get my new cfk wheels 14g a wheel plus a slw hub
racer_zh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #420
Rock Crawler

I weighted the unmodified DE rims and they were 52 grams total for four rims, so 13 grams a piece without hubs
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote

Del Monte's Secret Agent build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Del Monte's XR10 Build #1 Del Monte Axial XR10 619 12-16-2014 09:10 AM
Del Monte's '07 Falcon Del Monte Tamiya TLT Crawlers 48 07-26-2012 07:19 PM
Featherweight Secret Agent 3.5 Bodiless Build 4xFord Axial XR10 241 06-20-2012 05:43 AM
Del Monte's MRC Del Monte Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 18 04-23-2010 09:24 AM
Del Monte's Banana Tuber Del Monte Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 07-27-2008 01:43 PM