Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Del Monte's Secret Agent build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Del Monte's Secret Agent build

I really like the design of those weight bodies The ability to easily shift the bias point is pretty cool.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #302
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlrKing View Post
hey Jake !!! Nice knuckle weights, Tomy surely makes awesome products...

I need some advice man, I mounted my big bore shocks as you did with your SCX10 ones on your rig, 40wt all around, mini t silver in the rear, like 80mm long, tried the whole panel of mini-t springs for the front (pink, red, orange), a bit over 90mm and the fact is that when I go front dig, I can observe the truck lowering itself like at full compression !!!! Is it normal ? What is it due to ? What can I do to fight this in case of wrong setup ?
thanks for your input champion...
Nothing wrong with that at all... Once you get used to it, you will see that a truck that drops down like that will be very stable. You can use the front/rear dig to plant the truck when it might otherwise roll.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #303
RCC Addict

Jake, I noticed you had to mount your weight behing the weight holder. Using a standard weight for this puts the weight holder off center as there is not enough room for the weight to be mounted behind the holder.

The actual weight designed for this looks like this:

You'll notice it has a channel cut out along the inside of the weight. This provides room for the knuckle and still allows the weight to be rotated.

I'll have a set of these in the mail for you today.

Tomi

Last edited by Tomy; 07-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #304
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Jake, I noticed you had to mount your weight behing the weight holder. Using a standard weight for this puts the weight holder off center as there is not enough room for the weight to be mounted behind the holder.

The actual weight designed for this looks like this:

You'll notice it has a channel cut out along the inside of the weight. This provides room for the knuckle and still allows the weight to be rotated.

I'll have a set of these in the mail for you today.

Tomi
Thanks again for the support Tomy!

I don't think I will need the extra rings though. I will be switching to some Y-Town CF wheels here very soon
Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #305
Rock Crawler

I always enjoy the tech updates in this thread. 3.5 lbs with a nice forward bias is a great target, the rig should go just about anywhere! I love mine at a hair under 4 lbs. (And slowly dropping)
63comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #306
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Do you remember the average running weight of yer LCC? HAD to be around 8lbs right?

Do you foresee a level where going any lighter just wont work? With your growing experience in tuning the skinny rigs...do you think that ANY weight will work as long as you have the bias & tuning where it needs to be? Obviously I understand that at some point the sacrafice of durability wont make sense but in your opinion, is there a ceiling...or a floor in this case?

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #307
Rock Crawler

I'm no expert on the crawling scene but lighter weight certainly has some good if not great advantages. Wayyy less strain on drivetrain parts, more throttle response and efficiency from electronics to name a few. Plus it's less strain on the older folk!! (My own personal experience!!)
And i can't wait to start my SA!!
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #308
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Do you remember the average running weight of yer LCC? HAD to be around 8lbs right?
No way. I would guess around 5.25lbs.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #309
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
No way. I would guess around 5.25lbs.
I may've gone to the extreme high side but I think you went to the extreme low side. Since he hasn't answered my text yet & I can't cheat...I'm gonna go with 6.134 pounds.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #310
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by losiking1 View Post
I'm no expert on the crawling scene but lighter weight certainly has some good if not great advantages. Wayyy less strain on drivetrain parts, more throttle response and efficiency from electronics to name a few. Plus it's less strain on the older folk!! (My own personal experience!!)
And i can't wait to start my SA!!
That's all very true but tuning a rig that light is crazy work...especially for the "average cat". Every little issue...ESPECIALLY in the suspension is magnified by lighter rigs.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #311
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:

Do you foresee a level where going any lighter just wont work? With your growing experience in tuning the skinny rigs...do you think that ANY weight will work as long as you have the bias & tuning where it needs to be? Obviously I understand that at some point the sacrafice of durability wont make sense but in your opinion, is there a ceiling...or a floor in this case?

J.D.
It started somewhere around 6.5lbs in the early days, and it was about 5.3 when I stopped driving it.

At some point there will definitely be a limit to how light a truck can be and still work. I kinda think we're limited by the components that can't be eliminated, motors, esc's, servo etc. If there is still is a set amount of weight that has to be in the truck, there will have to be a certain amount of weight everywhere else to make it all work.

Having said that, I think a well tuned truck at 3.5lbs or less can still be very good at most comp sites.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #312
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
At some point there will definitely be a limit to how light a truck can be and still work. I kinda think we're limited by the components that can't be eliminated, motors, esc's, servo etc. If there is still is a set amount of weight that has to be in the truck, there will have to be a certain amount of weight everywhere else to make it all work.

Having said that, I think a well tuned truck at 3.5lbs or less can still be very good at most comp sites.
Very well said!!!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #313
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I may've gone to the extreme high side but I think you went to the extreme low side.
I thought you were asking about it near the end of it's career.....
\/ \/ \/

Quote:
It started somewhere around 6.5lbs in the early days, and it was about 5.3 when I stopped driving it.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #314
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Inspiring words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Very well said!!!
X2.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #315
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I thought you were asking about it near the end of it's career.....
\/ \/ \/
Actually...I was but didn't want YOU to know that.

I don't think I ever weighed my LCC & thought somebody said recently that his was around double of what it is now. Guess that's what I get for thinkin
Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #316
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually...I was but didn't want YOU to know that.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #317
mrG
RCC Addict

Quote:

I also got a set of VP Wraith knuckles installed tonight. Now I can max out the stock axle shafts... with room for much more.

Can someone explain the differences between using the vp wraith knuckles and the vp xr knuckles. It's time for me to upgrade
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #318
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Here you go

Front shocks = 90mm eye to eye
Rear shocks 80mm eye to eye

Full droop = 3.3" at the front of the skid
Full compression = 1.9" at the front of the skid

Its pretty low compared to most XR's in competition, but the forward bias helps it up and over breakovers pretty easily.

I also got a set of VP Wraith knuckles installed tonight. Now I can max out the stock axle shafts... with room for much more.

What VP hubs are you running front and rear.... Curious on the width to get everything to clear with that much steering. Impressive!!!
vypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #319
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vypr View Post
What VP hubs are you running front and rear.... Curious on the width to get everything to clear with that much steering. Impressive!!!
No VP hubs at the moment, but the plastic HPI wheels are roughly equivalent to running a 350 VP hub on a .7 SLW. I finally cracked an HPI wheel hex yesterday, but it was under some pretty impressive abuse. I know a lot of guys had failures pretty quickly, so I guess I'll consider myself lucky that I didn't have one during competition.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #320
Y-Town Crawlers

I finally made some fancy aluminum crossmembers to replace the stock delrin ones. I was really surprised how much stiffer the chassis felt after adding these, and as an added bonus, they're actually lighter.

The crossmembers are made from 3/16" .049 walled tubing and have .015 thick walls in the center

Last edited by Del Monte; 07-15-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Del Monte's Secret Agent build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Del Monte's XR10 Build #1 Del Monte Axial XR10 619 12-16-2014 09:10 AM
Del Monte's '07 Falcon Del Monte Tamiya TLT Crawlers 48 07-26-2012 07:19 PM
Featherweight Secret Agent 3.5 Bodiless Build 4xFord Axial XR10 241 06-20-2012 05:43 AM
Del Monte's MRC Del Monte Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 18 04-23-2010 09:24 AM
Del Monte's Banana Tuber Del Monte Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 07-27-2008 01:43 PM