Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: TedBull's Secret Agent 3.5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TedBull's Secret Agent 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
20-25 foot fall and bent a rear axle shaft
All because you had to be "King of the Mountain" last GTG!
BigBlackCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackCummins View Post
All because you had to be "King of the Mountain" last GTG!
And I won.. Nobody wanted to try and match me
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDBULL View Post
The guy who did up the links for me runs the same sizes on his heavier XR and his are holding up so far. As for the axle housing, no reason that I have'nt other than the fact I just have not looked into it. What are the advantages other than clearance? What are the mods needed to make it fit?

Here is a thread on the front axle in the rear. I am tempted to try it but not sure it is worth it since I am not having gear issues.
Front axle mod
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
And I won.. Nobody wanted to try and match me
That was a gnarly fall!

I would be down to get on the rocks! Need to fix some things.

Where's everyone thinking of going?
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

looks great man! and super light
laxjj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Thanks. Lightweight is definantly better suited to my driving style.

I put some packs thru it today. It works realy well without any added weight. But once my weight arrives I will give it a try. I also need go test on some differant types of rock. I have sedona foams coming to try as well.

Last edited by TedBull; 06-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

I am overdue for an update.

So during the first real comp last July with the new truck I had one of the micro sidewinders go up in flames for no apparent reason. I inspected the esc and wiring very carfully and found no evidence as to why it smoked.

So I decided to go back to FXR's and I decased and shrunk them down myself. So what you are seeing below in the pic is two FXR's back to back. The posts and all unessisary wires are removed. The two FXR's share one capacitor that is a little larger than stock. There is also a BEC in there. I can still field program them using the buttons. I have ran this at four comps now and have not had one performance issue and no heat. The clear heat shrink I used is very thick and I need to source another type that will be lighter easier to work with.

I also run the exact ESC setup but with two BEC's in my Super with no issues. My Super Build link - Ted's Lightweight Super Juice

I put the SR3500 RX back in the case and mounted it on the chassis skid becuase I did have some interferance with it being so close to the ESC's the first time around. And since I live in the great pacific north west I put the RX in a balloon to keep it dry.

All the Ti links including the 1/8th stuff is holding up just fine to the abuse I have inflicted on it and I did take a couple realy good falls. Thanks again to Marc for the custom links.

The truck has been driving well but I think the foams are too stiff. I am still using the stock Boss Claw foams but have some 5.25 closed cell CI foams on the way with soft outers.

I installed the Knuckle weights from Tomy a while back and that put the truck right at 4 lbs. It is very predictable and drives well with the added weight. Thanks to Tomy for the awsome product.

Here is a pic that shows some use.

Last edited by TedBull; 11-21-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDBULL View Post

So I decided to go back to FXR's and I decased and shrunk them down myself. So what you are seeing below in the pic is two FXR's back to back. The posts and all unessisary wires are removed. The two FXR's share one capacitor that is a little larger than stock. There is also a BEC in there. I can still field program them using the buttons. I have ran this at four comps now and have not had one performance issue and no heat. The clear heat shrink I used is very thick and I need to source another type that will be lighter easier to work with.

If you do this back to back smash again can you take some more pics in the process? Pics good! The Cap looks like it is on the esc bat - term and motor + terminal? Is that right? And I'm guessing there are jumper wires from "front" esc to back esc. I like the buttons access much better in this config!
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashdjs View Post
If you do this back to back smash again can you take some more pics in the process? Pics good! The Cap looks like it is on the esc bat - term and motor + terminal? Is that right? And I'm guessing there are jumper wires from "front" esc to back esc. I like the buttons access much better in this config!
Yeah, I have a hard time slowing down to take pics when I am building. Here is the step by step process I used.

1. Remove ESC from case of course.

2. Stick with parma tape or clamp ESC to bench and heat up bottom of posts with soldering iron while carefully twisting top of post with pliers and remove all the posts. This method works good

3. Cut the power switch wires almost flush with the circut board but leave enough to twist them together. Then tin them with enough solder for a good hold but not too much that runs onto the board. Then you can snip it even shorter with mini dikes.

4. I set the esc's back to back and then run a jumper from one esc to the other over the top bridging the battery leads. The leads to the battery deans connector go out the front from bottom side of the terminals. I route the esc rx wires carefully down the side. I have one larger than stock capacitor on the pos and neg battery terminals on the bottom side of the rear esc. I then wire the BEC also to the bottom side of same terminals. The motor wires go where they go. I use peices of very thin lexan between the boards where they touch each other. Then heat shrink it all together. 18awg wire is the size of choice.

This setup has been working great and is as small or smaller than any other setup I have seen. Hope that all made sense.

Here are some slightly better pics of the same setup that I run in my super, but with two BEC's under the ESC's. They fit nicely on the rowdy mount.

Last edited by TedBull; 11-23-2012 at 04:26 PM.

TedBull's Secret Agent 3.5 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jakesy's Secret Agent 3.5 jakesy Axial XR10 76 06-16-2012 08:09 AM
Jakesy' SECRET AGENT 3.5 jakesy Videos! 12 05-27-2012 12:54 PM
Ruffryder`s Secret Agent ruffryder Axial XR10 8 05-02-2012 07:33 PM