Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: An alternative to hd gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: An alternative to hd gear mod

And you didn't bring your XL lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
I'm not saying it is not possible everything you say but, for the moment, it work really nice. And I tried with both the old axle and a brand new one. Only time will tell, but for the moment I'm on vacation with my family, so no updates for the next two weeks

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Never again on a beach! I made once this mistake and had to clean it for a week.

Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Never again on a beach! I made once this mistake and had to clean it for a week.

ME TOO !! I took my XL out on beach dunes right after I first bought it and ALL of the screws and bearings were covered in rust.. S.S screws for me now..But Ya ... No more beach runs for this basher either..
Have a great time with your family..
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #24

This is what happened to my stock housing with HD gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I'm sorry for taking this so personal.. It's just been a never-ending-battle since DECEMBER trying to ALERT the community, getting Axial to step-up, battling ridicule, making How-To-videos, contacting Aftermarket companys to get a V2 out for US and doing pinion mods for free ...
I hope you can understand my passion with this manor. I would love seeing a simpler mod than mine that WORKS... I'll do a video tonight of your mod VS modded pinion ..
The smoothness is un-matched... I remember the first three sets that I assembled feeling notchy.. I figured it would be all right... (At hand speed)... But at 7,000 + R.P.M's .... Not SO MUCH !!
And if bashers can afford to buy a XL and upgrade it they can afford 10$ shipping or a 30$ dremel... That's why I offer the mod for free Serban
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Ya man when I saw my pinion get pushed out with GOOD bearings .. I started to itch my head LOL"thumbsup I thought it was the soft plastic that others were talking about ... which is what lead me to buying the Vanquish ... Then it wouldn't even turn !!
Too bad HARLEY couldn't weigh in on this... Even tho he already has.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibby View Post
This is what happened to my stock housing with HD gears.

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 07-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

If I may, I understand your plight BHB your trying to discourage alternate solutions to unite the community to force Axial to change their designs, add to that informing aftermarket manufacturers to redesign their products so that the whole community could benefit from it, dare I say you've become a YXL advocate ?? but your going about it the wrong way.

Isn't that the whole point of your mods, modding and making parts to make the YXL better and stronger. Ridiculing the work of others and promoting yours will just alienate and push them away which is the opposite of what your trying to achieve. From a far retrospect it looks like your bullying them to accept that your way is the only choice but if they don't have any other choice to choose from how can they be sure. Even if you have the data to backup your claims you really think they would stop thinking of alternate solutions ?? If Gandhi were alive and gave you a call to sell you a used automobile for a ridiculous amount of money will you buy it before seeing it. People come and go and so will their ideas they must be allowed to try and fail in order for them to do better and/or move on.

You treat your mods like your children you would protect them because they are your creations is it mind boggling to think that other people would treat their ideas/mods the same way you do. We are bashers, thinkerers by nature, we mod as a reaction to fortify a weak or flawed design, it is a way to express ourselves, would you rather people keep their ideas to themselves, be mindless drones because your mod is the ultimate solution.

Is it wrong to share their ideas to the community, give the community a variety of ideas on how to tackle a problem ?? Good or bad why don't we let the community decide, instead of ridiculing it and promoting your own. Let the idea run its course if you think its really bad it will show sooner or later, and if your thinking, it is just a waste of money and you want the community to save their money for something else, well ...... isn't that for the community to decide.

Lets just say for a moment that you have seen and tried all the angles even the ones others haven't seen yet and you know the end result, would you deny others to share the same experiences you had ?? If so ... then how can they relate to you, you might just end up looking like overbearing, overprotective and controlling, you wouldn't want that .................................................. ...............
would you ??

Change doesn't come over night it comes with tremendous patience, if we only allow happiness in the kingdom how would its people know they are happy when they have never known sadness.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #28

Default An alternative to hd gear mod

Just tore apart the front end to inspect HD gears installed 5 runs ago, it looks like the pressure isn't being equally dispersed on the teeth. It turns relatively smoothly but only with the 4 diff case screws not fully tightened.

Last edited by alibby; 07-11-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Tony I could barely get through this with my 5th grade education.. This is a TECH THREAD correct? As so don't you think testing and certainty should be proven first before a hypothetical solution is announced... you have been guilty of the same malarkey... that's why you jump on any opportunity you can to discredit my HELPINGS...
I was exciting collaborate ideas WITH you but your sarcasm , copy cat build / threads causes me to think your just a jealous jerk... so I guess we will just push each other in positive ways for the XL community... pity tho because the Tony hawk that I thought you were was a talented , intellectual builder that was a assist to the XL community.. so..
I'm proud that I can say sorry and still appreciate your information YOU bring to the forum... and.... I think hypothetical mods should say that instead of a instant solution... they are still very valuable because it just be on the right path...like this one... read my last HD post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
If I may, I understand your plight BHB your trying to discourage alternate solutions to unite the community to force Axial to change their designs, add to that informing aftermarket manufacturers to redesign their products so that the whole community could benefit from it, dare I say you've become a YXL advocate ?? but your going about it the wrong way.

Isn't that the whole point of your mods, modding and making parts to make the YXL better and stronger. Ridiculing the work of others and promoting yours will just alienate and push them away which is the opposite of what your trying to achieve. From a far retrospect it looks like your bullying them to accept that your way is the only choice but if they don't have any other choice to choose from how can they be sure. Even if you have the data to backup your claims you really think they would stop thinking of alternate solutions ?? If Gandhi were alive and gave you a call to sell you a used automobile for a ridiculous amount of money will you buy it before seeing it. People come and go and so will their ideas they must be allowed to try and fail in order for them to do better and/or move on.

You treat your mods like your children you would protect them because they are your creations is it mind boggling to think that other people would treat their ideas/mods the same way you do. We are bashers, thinkerers by nature, we mod as a reaction to fortify a weak or flawed design, it is a way to express ourselves, would you rather people keep their ideas to themselves, be mindless drones because your mod is the ultimate solution.

Is it wrong to share their ideas to the community, give the community a variety of ideas on how to tackle a problem ?? Good or bad why don't we let the community decide, instead of ridiculing it and promoting your own. Let the idea run its course if you think its really bad it will show sooner or later, and if your thinking, it is just a waste of money and you want the community to save their money for something else, well ...... isn't that for the community to decide.

Lets just say for a moment that you have seen and tried all the angles even the ones others haven't seen yet and you know the end result, would you deny others to share the same experiences you had ?? If so ... then how can they relate to you, you might just end up looking like overbearing, overprotective and controlling, you wouldn't want that .................................................. ...............
would you ??

Change doesn't come over night it comes with tremendous patience, if we only allow happiness in the kingdom how would its people know they are happy when they have never known sadness.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
That's because it doesn't make any common sense...

So YOU TWO.... THREE ... whatever ... think that Vanquish PULLED their AXIAL because their is a MAGIC shim sequence... And the FN gears don't even fit into a Dhavk V1... God you guys are blind... You guys must work for Axial

I think the best thing for me to do is pull my HD thread and let guys destroy their shit trying out your mod..But I won't..
And J.B ..... You've got a junkMAXX right? Really haw many times did you drive the XL? I bet you ran nothing but 4s as well ... Probably 3-4 times... Thanks for voicing in

So pleases explain why Vanquish and DHAWK recognize this as a problem?
No i do not have an XMaxx. A good friend does and only has broken a servo gear and front bearing carrier. And it gets beat to hell... It's a fine truck, one i would love to own. I have owned the kit version since it got released. drove it everyday. And yes, only on 4s. hated the stupid thing on 6s. I've been driving RC's for 30 years. racing and building kits for over 10. I know my way around these things.

On the topic of the HD gears, i'm done. Truck is sold, i'll be on to something new soon, maybe a new boat or a quad. Good luck guys with the YXL and your gear endeavors!
JBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #31
RCC Addict

With that much experience I'd figure that you'd notice the issue wile assembling it.. the XL is my first adult Rc and it seemed obvious that something wasn't right...6s is blissful joy of insanity.. how could you hate that? Anyway take care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryant View Post
No i do not have an XMaxx. A good friend does and only has broken a servo gear and front bearing carrier. And it gets beat to hell... It's a fine truck, one i would love to own. I have owned the kit version since it got released. drove it everyday. And yes, only on 4s. hated the stupid thing on 6s. I've been driving RC's for 30 years. racing and building kits for over 10. I know my way around these things.

On the topic of the HD gears, i'm done. Truck is sold, i'll be on to something new soon, maybe a new boat or a quad. Good luck guys with the YXL and your gear endeavors!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Wow, Tony, I wish I could talk english the way you do! I have no doubt I could have express myself much better.
Bhb, as long as you can admit there are other people out there that might have better ideas than yours (not necessarely on this specific topic) I'm cool with you. No hard words, nu capital written words (nobody has to yell to be heard), just sharing ideas.
For the moment I want to clarify another problem. Are we talking here about the plastic or aluminium cases? Are you guys saying that, whatever method we might choose, the plastic won't hold to the extra forces produced by the spiral cut gears??? Are we cracking our heads for nothing? I just hope I just misundersand this! Bhb, do you have 200+ runs with your moded pinion in what type of housing? Because, if the plastic won't hold, it really doesn't what method anyone would choose! I'll be damn if I'll ever spend $200+ for aluminium bulkhead/axle. Plus 20%VAT, plus shipping costs (damn you, Europe )

Last edited by Tzicul; 07-11-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #33

Default An alternative to hd gear mod

I think the consensus is that the plastic will work with spiral cut gears, because the spiral gears are less prone to deflect the force whereas the straight cut gears try and "push away" from each other under load.

I just dremeled my front gear, the one posted above, so will report how it holds up. The front is plastic housing.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
RCC Addict

That modification looks spot-on. And you're absolutely right about the deflection of forces caused by the straight cut gears. I would recommend aluminum housings for straight cut gears for 6 s capabilities and you can roll with plastic or aluminum with the HD gears because of the interlocking mesh... I honestly think that they would hold up to 8 s without an issue
Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Tony I could barely get through this with my 5th grade education.. This is a TECH THREAD correct? As so don't you think testing and certainty should be proven first before a hypothetical solution is announced... you have been guilty of the same malarkey... that's why you jump on any opportunity you can to discredit my HELPINGS...
I was exciting collaborate ideas WITH you but your sarcasm , copy cat build / threads causes me to think your just a jealous jerk... so I guess we will just push each other in positive ways for the XL community... pity tho because the Tony hawk that I thought you were was a talented , intellectual builder that was a assist to the XL community.. so..
I'm proud that I can say sorry and still appreciate your information YOU bring to the forum... and.... I think hypothetical mods should say that instead of a instant solution... they are still very valuable because it just be on the right path...like this one... read my last HD post
They knew you'd react this way, I was hoping they were wrong about you but, you just made me loose $100 thats really disappointing. My post was about keeping the peace and extending an olive branch to you in hopes that you are more than what they thought you were. But again you took that as an attack even calling me a copy cat builder and this is my favorite part opportunist who can't wait to discredit you.
What would that accomplish community recognition, tell them the kind of crap the others are building, sponsorship from manufacturers and aftermarket manufacturers. I don't have to wait for anything your doing great all by yourself and people here often ask me why I don't comment your threads anymore, now they will know why.

And about me being a copy cat builder, you really think your the only one who has thought about a YXL with 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel steering, look around someone already did it before I joined here.

Apologies T I was just trying to bury the hatchet but it went sideways that wasn't my intention.

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 07-11-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Yawn... stop with the novels ..i figured I didn't see you on here for a week was because you were busy writing your last response Iol
So here are some easy questions..
TECH THREAD for people with issues...y/n
Ideas, hypothesis and theories should be stated so y/n
Credible mods should be tested and proven y/n
We are all here to make the XL better y/n
Can you respond without sarcasm and syndicalism? Y/n
I'm a friendly guy ... to bad your to smart to see that.
Oho and I'm interested in who built a XLX? I remember you planned on building one...just way better...

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 07-11-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #37
RCC Addict

So my fix for the need for the BHB mod is a bushing that has a recess for the HD haunch that allows the pinion full proper seat and eliminates the need to have ANY pinion bearings... I'll be machineing one out shortly for TESTING
Thank-you Tzicul for the inspirational idea that will help us out

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 07-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yawn... stop with the novels ..i figured I didn't see you on here for a week was because you were busy writing your last response Iol
So here are some easy questions..
TECH THREAD for people with issues...y/n
Ideas, hypothesis and theories should be stated so y/n
Credible mods should be tested and proven y/n
We are all here to make the XL better y/n
Can you respond without sarcasm and syndicalism? Y/n
I'm a friendly guy ... to bad your to smart to see that.
Oho and I'm interested in who built a XLX? I remember you planned on building one...just way better...
I rest my case

just to add they need solutions they can do without the ridicule and you constant promotion your mod

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 07-11-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #39
RCC Addict

It's the promotion of a mod that (solves) the problem Tony... that's why I had to voice"don't try this he doesn't understand the issue"
If he wasn't (guaranteeing) the solution I would of been more cordial.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It's the promotion of a mod that (solves) the problem Tony... that's why I had to voice"don't try this he doesn't understand the issue"
If he wasn't (guaranteeing) the solution I would of been more cordial.
I get that, to guarantee this mod works, it needs to be tested thoroughly, the OP has tried it, works for him though not battle tested yet, he is sharing his initial findings. Maybe down the road he will report back his findings and say it works or just ignore posting because it failed. All I'm saying is let the mod run its course pass or fail, I don't think he is guaranteeing merely putting it out there.

An alternative to hd gear mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrow xr10 mod axles alternative driftah Axial SCX-10 7 06-03-2015 09:29 PM
Pinion Gear Alternative ??? Big Tex Venom Creeper 5 05-05-2012 03:55 PM
mod 1 pinion gears.......... bob1961 General Crawlers 2 10-14-2010 04:12 PM
pinion mod drizzt Newbie General 0 08-06-2008 12:00 PM