Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: OS's SWB Yeti with trans swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #21

Default Re: OS's SWB Yeti with trans swap

What axle are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Khofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khofman View Post
What axle are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the standard Axial AR60 but with a different diff cover and hexes at the wheels.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Looks like the standard Axial AR60 but with a different diff cover and hexes at the wheels.

Are those RC4WD hexes with the faux disc brakes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Khofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khofman View Post
Are those RC4WD hexes with the faux disc brakes?
No, just some SLW Beef patties attached to the wheels front and rear.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Run number 2... swapped in some old Traxxas electronics and did some more tweaks.

Decent flex... I'm only running 25wt oil and stiffish springs, so it's a bit flexy and bouncy - really works well with the front and rear swaybars though and makes for a somewhat active suspension.

Fantastic sidehill... COG is quite low, the motor actually sits below the level of the tops of the tires. Makes for a super stable truck.

Low and lean... Not a ton of belly clearance, but enough for most situations so far. Can always jack up the suspension a bit if needed, but I like the low stance.

Climbs like a bear...

And just enough speed to make bombing around the fields fun!

Just a few chassis pics... Stock TRX electronics for now just to get a feel for the chassis and if it was worth it to upgrade. Since it seems to work well, definitely looking for an upgrade here eventually.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Got the crawler Yeti out to play. I had a ball with it, putting the 3 gear trans in changes the whole feel of the truck. Lowers the COG a ton and puts the gear ratio right in the crawler zone. Before leaving, I realized the motor was running reversed timing and that wasn't good so I swapped in a Holmes 21t Trailmaster - problem solved! Crammed in 1.5oz of lead weights in the front of the chassis too to add some front bias. We went out along a dry lakebed and while the terrain wasn't too challenging, but there were a few cool spots where the Yeti got to crawl around on and a good first test run.

Nature is awesome - check out the tree! Normally this is underwater.

Another cool tree!

Lots of rip-rap type rocks...odd, it's like shale rock but sideways. Really neat and grippy.

Low and slow. The suspension was great, it was fun watching the IFS work and rear axle twisting around as it snaked over stuff. The COG is ridiculously low, it's like a rock spider and so stable I never flipped it all day. Might look into a slightly thicker front swaybar to help front clearance in certain situations but it was pretty dialed already.

Definitely worthy of some better electronics... the Traxxas ESC and survo actually did fine though 4 hours of wheeling - even the steering was decent though it could use some more power for sure. Motor-wise, the Trailmaster was great as always and perfect for a big heavy rig.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

I've considered switching my Yeti to a more crawlery type set up, I have a spare Holmes 550 can motor and ESC, with a decent Savox already in it.
Sadly the pictures earlier on in the thread are no longer showing so it's not easy to follow along since I work better from visual rather than text.
Just rebuilding my Yeti currently too, if it still doesn't run how I want after this rebuild, I might consider a brushed system, I also have a 3 gear trans sat here with 2 speed already installed.
May have to 'borrow' your idea lol.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Wasn't much to see really, looks pretty much the same as it does now. Lined up the transmission with an existing hole in the chassis and drilled the other three IIRC. I did use a dremel to remove the webbing in the chassis so the trans would sit flush. I think I had to trim a bit here and there for the 550, though a 540 can might fit without it.

Do it! This truck is very capable, very glad I hacked it up.

OS's SWB Yeti with trans swap - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade trans swap chevycummins G-Made Crawlers 4 12-27-2016 10:36 AM
TF2 SWB, MST CMX, or STRC SCX10 SWB? aver3 General Crawlers 2 11-22-2016 07:26 PM
OS's Yeti TT Rough Rider OSRC Axial Yeti 5 08-24-2016 07:01 AM
Axial Trans Swap? Volture'Z Venom Creeper 12 03-06-2012 05:16 PM