Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What is it with "lower 48"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: What is it with "lower 48"?

I've had more packages get lost/damaged by USPS/UPS when shipping to Hawaii and Alaska than anywhere else, including out of the country. I've also had USPS priority packages that went to Hawaii take over a month and a half to get there... I still ship to both places, but I cringe EVERY time I send something to either place.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

It's funny...I read a story last week on the news talking about low voter turnout in Hawaii and it said that one of the reasons for that is because a lot of people who live there don't consider themselves American Citizens.....that the US illegally occupies that land.

Trust me you don't want to open that can of worms........and even that reason only accounts for a very very small percentage

A big reason for low turnout is the state is largely democratic, meaning most of the local races have obvious outcomes. On a national level, the small delegate count and the time difference means our votes largely don't matter because the media is usually predicting a winner when most of us get off work. Who would want to stand in line to vote when your vote wouldn't even count?

BTW, I do vote every election.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Getting back on topic....

Large packages shipped Priority can cost more but most of us here understand that and would be willing to pay the difference. What gets me is when a seller has a shipped price but then wants me to pay all the shipping just because I live in Hawaii.

USPS 1st Class pretty much cost the same wherever you are in the US. And when using it to Hawaii, a lot of times it's faster than Priority.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
With thinking like that, would you really want those folks voting in an election ?
That could be said for every state in 'Merica.

As for shipping, USPS priority has never failed me, either coming or going.

The "tracking cost more" is pretty BS too, $.72? Really?

As unbelievable as it sounds, you do know UPS & FedEx both have ground to & from Hawaii?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
What gets me is when a seller has a shipped price but then wants me to pay all the shipping just because I live in Hawaii.
Different place, same situation. Ticks me off when I get someone who posts a shipped price in the US, I say I'll pay extra shipping, and they say "ok, it's going to cost $20 to ship to Canada, so add 20 bucks to the shipped price". Suddenly shipping was free in the US. Doesn't happen too often here, most people are pretty good.

For myself, my mantra has always been ask, even if it is posted they only ship to the US/continental US. Worst they can do is say no.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Good thing we don't have we only ship to the upper provinces and do ship World wide. Even all 50 states

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

Next excuse?
^^^^........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
E.Y. Designs

They probably just see other people post that in their FS threads so they think it's what you do in a FS thread so that's why they do it
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
That could be said for every state in 'Merica.

As for shipping, USPS priority has never failed me, either coming or going.

The "tracking cost more" is pretty BS too, $.72? Really?

As unbelievable as it sounds, you do know UPS & FedEx both have ground to & from Hawaii?
It's the not the price as much as people don't know they have to pay "extra" for it where as it's included with UPS/ Fed Ex automatically.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
A big reason for low turnout is the state is largely democratic, meaning most of the local races have obvious outcomes.
Yeah, they talked about this as well. It was a story that focused on a group of people going around trying to get folks involved in voting...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I don't understand, I thought we had 57 states.

Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States - YouTube
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
try a shipping quote w/ 'Brown', your jaw will hit the ground.
UPS and FedEx were always higher on the mainland too.

USPS is THE way to ship to Hawaii.

I bought a rig from Canada. Was sent Canada post to HI. I tracked the package through USPS website.

It was here in 4 days.

The reason I brought this up was we were talking about it while on the trail yesterday.

For whatever reason people don't want to ship to AK or HI. I think most people don't know how to ship here. If a package is going to AK or HI, use USPS.

The only way it will cost more to ship to AK or HI is if you use FedEx or UPS.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Wait, Hawaii is a state now?!?

It's funny...I read a story last week on the news talking about low voter turnout in Hawaii and it said that one of the reasons for that is because a lot of people who live there don't consider themselves American Citizens.....that the US illegally occupies that land.
The royalty was overthrown in 1893, and the Queen was held prisoner in her own palace. The only palace in the United States that ever held royalty.

Hawaii was annexed on August 12th, 1898.

Admission Day is the state holiday that marks the day Hawaii became part of the US.

Liliuokalani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Admission_Day

Definitely not something that gets joked about here.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 10-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
With thinking like that, would you really want those folks voting in an election ?
Could help balance the ones illegally occupying the upper 48

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

For those of you that "won't" ship to Canada, lick my balls. I have shipped maybe 2 packages inside Canada, everything else I have had to pay out of my ass to have it shipped. I just shipped a motor for my losi back down to cali, cost me $48 and it made it there in 2 weeks... ... ... So, don't cry to us about how you have to "fill out all kinds of paperwork" when we are more than willing to pay out the ass, again, for your parts to be shipped up here. I had an rpp order shipped up here a couple weeks ago, $41 to ship it and another $32 when it got here, for a $450 order. I havn't pooped right since. That's my rant for the day.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
For those of you that "won't" ship to Canada, lick my balls. I have shipped maybe 2 packages inside Canada, everything else I have had to pay out of my ass to have it shipped. I just shipped a motor for my losi back down to cali, cost me $48 and it made it there in 2 weeks... ... ... So, don't cry to us about how you have to "fill out all kinds of paperwork" when we are more than willing to pay out the ass, again, for your parts to be shipped up here. I had an rpp order shipped up here a couple weeks ago, $41 to ship it and another $32 when it got here, for a $450 order. I havn't pooped right since. That's my rant for the day.
I feel your pain. I ship a lot to Canada...it takes less than 2 minutes to fill out the customs form and it's on it's way. I don't understand your postal service though. I've shipped to Canada and Romania (not making that up) on the same day, and guess who got theirs first? I love my neighbors to the north, but your shipping is seriously lacking.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

The last package I sent to Canada cost me $3 and I didn't even have to fill out a customs form.....and it got there in about a week. I haven't figured that one out....
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Just want to clarify that in no way was the big bill rpp's fault(other than usually having everything I want and selling wicked products...), I usually get my parts from them in 6 days. Our shipping usually isn't too bad, it's about a week from the US but not very often do I pay less than $30 to have something shipped up here.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth! Once I had a $1500 Amain order where they shipped it UPS despite actually inquiring and paying extra to have them ship it USPS and when it got to my door I had to pay a brokerage fee of over $400! So suck on that for all you down in the states that bitch so much. I have had customs charge me a $18 handling fee to charge me $0.56 of actual duty fees!
pastrana#199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrana#199 View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth! Once I had a $1500 Amain order where they shipped it UPS despite actually inquiring and paying extra to have them ship it USPS and when it got to my door I had to pay a brokerage fee of over $400! So suck on that for all you down in the states that bitch so much. I have had customs charge me a $18 handling fee to charge me $0.56 of actual duty fees!
The first issue, I would have declined the package and contacted Amain immediately and made them aware of their mistake. BTW, that "broker" fee is pretty common and is the fee they charge you for getting it through customs and across the border.....not saying that the fee is appropriate, just explaining why it is in place.

The second issue has nothing to do with people in the US....that is an issue with the Canadian government.

The reason people are "bitching" is because the potential package is NOT crossing a border or having to go through any customs....

What is it with "lower 48"? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM