Notices

Thread: What is it with "lower 48"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What is it with "lower 48"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
For those of you that "won't" ship to Canada, lick my balls. I have shipped maybe 2 packages inside Canada, everything else I have had to pay out of my ass to have it shipped. I just shipped a motor for my losi back down to cali, cost me $48 and it made it there in 2 weeks... ... ... So, don't cry to us about how you have to "fill out all kinds of paperwork" when we are more than willing to pay out the ass, again, for your parts to be shipped up here. I had an rpp order shipped up here a couple weeks ago, $41 to ship it and another $32 when it got here, for a $450 order. I havn't pooped right since. That's my rant for the day.

Your "free" healthcare is subsidized by UPS and fed-ex didn't you get that memo?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Your "free" healthcare is subsidized by UPS and fed-ex didn't you get that memo?
Not looking to start a canada vs. us debate here, just saying it's a piss off when someone "doesn't have the time" to write an address and a value of the parts on a piece of paper when shipping something. Us "internationals" have enough shit to deal with when trying to buy parts.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I think sellers have the right to ship their stuff wherever they want..

That being said; I ship my stuff all over, no prob..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #44
MODERATOR™

Quote:
What is it with "lower 48"?
We rule, and the outer 2 suck, simple as that!

JIH, you never cared until you moved there, or what?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
Not looking to start a canada vs. us debate here, just saying it's a piss off when someone "doesn't have the time" to write an address and a value of the parts on a piece of paper when shipping something. Us "internationals" have enough shit to deal with when trying to buy parts.
The "its too much of a pain in the ass to ship to Canada" excuse drives me crazy! You have to go to the post office and drop of the package no matter where its going, correct? So how is it any harder? I ship 90% of the stuff i sell to the US, i split the shipping with the buyer most times. Seems to work well. I dont care where you want it shipped, its not any more "work" to get it wherever you want it shipped.
I check out the classifieds alot and i too never understood why an American wouldnt even want to ship to all 50 states, thats just plain ignorant IMO. Maybe some of these folks should just sell stuff on craigslist locally since it would save them all that trouble to even ship something at all? That way they dont have to go to all that "work" to put an item in a box and take it to the post office.
This website links thousands of people all over the world, it makes zero sense to me to automatically limit yourself on who is going to buy somethng you have. Sorry for the long rant
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

I've shipped around 700 packages over the past 6 years via USPS Priority and have never lost one. I've shipped to just about every state in the union(including Alaska and Hawaii) and some very small countries. On a few occasions they've taken their time to get there but they always did.

My average shipping weight was right around 3lbs and fit in one of the standard Priority boxes. Nothing else was cheaper. Used the flat rate only a handful of times and had to go Parcel a few times due to size.

If you ship through Paypal (with USPS) or USPS directly and ship via USPS Priority, tracking is free, plus you get a small discount for shipping on-line. Oh, the boxes are free as well as the tape!

Now why someone would say lower 48 only is probably due to not being educated on it would be my guess. As to out of the country(Canada included), for us it was cost. When someone is buying a $20 item, they don't like paying $20 for shipping on top of that. That was the minimum cost to ship via Priority with tracking. We eventually stopped shipping out of the country because we were tired of having customers complain of high shipping costs and due to us constantly having to eat the difference when the weight was off a little or the box was a 1/2" bigger. And shipping without USPS Priority was not an option for us. It's fast and we could track it and like I said, we never had an issue.

Why do I always have so much to say when I'm on my damn phone!
motomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
NJK
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
The royalty was overthrown in 1893, and the Queen was held prisoner in her own palace. The only palace in the United States that ever held royalty.

Hawaii was annexed on August 12th, 1898.

Admission Day is the state holiday that marks the day Hawaii became part of the US.

Liliuokalani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hawaii Admission Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely not something that gets joked about here.
well said jason!!
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #48
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
We rule, and the outer 2 suck, simple as that!

JIH, you never cared until you moved there, or what?
Was talking about it with Sheldon and RusT yesterday while crawling.

I charged more when I shipped to Hawaii because I shipped FedEx.

After living here and realizing the the absolute best way to ship to HI is USPS, it's crazy to ship any other way.

So I wanted to see why people put 48 in their ads and maybe make people realize that USPS is THE way to go....at no extra cost like you'd get with UPS or FedEx.

Just one of the things I've learned while living here.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
well said jason!!
I still dont really get what he was saying with that. So the people there DONT like the rest of the country and want to leave, or they do and want to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
You have to go to the post office and drop of the package no matter where its going, correct?
No. I ship stuff all of the time from my office without ever going to the PO. When I ship something out of the country, I typically have to fill out a customs form, which means I need to go to the PO. Really, it's not that big of a deal, but my situation might be different from others.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Once again...isn't sales conditions my choice as the seller? I do not understand why lately people have been whining and complaining about how we sell things or what we set conditions based on.

Again I can't ship via USPS from work, but can do UPS and get a huge discount including far superior tracking and insurance coverage. So no you want me to leave work to go ship something to make it easier for you? I guess I'm lost here, but it isn't going to happen just because.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I still dont really get what he was saying with that. So the people there DONT like the rest of the country and want to leave, or they do and want to stay?
What people want varies from group to group and even person to person. The issue is the US played a critical part in the overthrow of a sovereign country and has never owned up to it. President Clinton gave an "apology" for the actions but there was no substance to back that apology up. The government doesn't even officially recognize Hawaiians as a native indigenous people like it does native American Indians and Eskimos. The "Akaka Bill", which has been before Congress in one form or another for over 10 years, would give Hawaiians those rights but has yet to be passed. And that is just the tip of the iceberg, the issues are far more ranging than just that.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Once again...isn't sales conditions my choice as the seller? I do not understand why lately people have been whining and complaining about how we sell things or what we set conditions based on.
No one is trying to make anyone do anything. Jason simply started this thread because as a now resident, he sees what we've seen for years, a lack of knowledge when it comes to shipping here. If you ship UPS that's fine, but most people have the misunderstanding that in all cases it costs more to ship here, which isn't necessarily true. This thread proves that a lot of people who state "lower 48 only" in their ads don't even know why they do it.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #53

i absolutely hate going usps to ship. its not the actual shipping but the complete nightmare experience of going to a city of chicago post office...

growing up in the rich burbs of colorado the post office was a much different experience. there were lines at times but it was all handled very efficiently and professional.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #54
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post

Again I can't ship via USPS from work, but can do UPS and get a huge discount including far superior tracking and insurance coverage. So no you want me to leave work to go ship something to make it easier for you? I guess I'm lost here, but it isn't going to happen just because.
Take things personally much?

Don't be mad because:

1. The weather here is better
2. The women are hotter
3. It's BBQ season all year

It's not all about you, as you're trying to make it. Just a simple point that sellers are losing sales by excluding Hawaii because it's so *gasp* horrific to ship here.

And if you get a "huge discount" shipping UPS from work...where's the problem again?

Funny, none of the guys here have problems shipping items up there. :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i absolutely hate going usps to ship. its not the actual shipping but the complete nightmare experience of going to a city of chicago post office...

growing up in the rich burbs of colorado the post office was a much different experience. there were lines at times but it was all handled very efficiently and professional.
Well, there's your problem.

I feel bad for you. I can only imagine how lethargic the workers are.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 10-30-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
No joke. The non-government workers at the private shipping companies are much friendlier and easier to deal with. No wonder the USPS is hemorrhaging money...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #56
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Don't be mad because:

2. The women are hotter
**** you.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
**** you.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #58

Quote:
Well, there's your problem.

I feel bad for you. I can only imagine how lethargic the workers are.
its a complete nightmare. for sure...
Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #59

also... to actually respond to the post topic i have no problem shipping to canada or hawaii/alaska, but the redneck in me kinda hates to ship stuff overseas, especially my vintage rc10 stuff. i cant really explain why other than i just kinda want to keep the cool stuff here where fellow 'mericans can enjoy it.

is that bad?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #60
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Don't be mad because:

2. The women are hotter

LOL He's not mad just really jealous... And I totally agree with that... I've been over there a few times... I've got a ton of relatives over there and it's the best place ever You live on Oahu right JIA
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote

What is it with "lower 48"? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM