Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Napa pissed me off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #21

Default Re: Napa pissed me off

You're stuck in the dinosaur ages if you think most NAPA employees known a damn thing about a car. Back in the day there weren't nearly as many car manufacturers or models and the cars that existed were so similar and so simple so it was much easier to know the cars. These days even the most knowledgeable NAPA rep can't and won't know everything. But the quality of auto parts guys, overall, has gone down hill.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You're stuck in the dinosaur ages if you think most NAPA employees known a damn thing about a car. Back in the day there weren't nearly as many car manufacturers or models and the cars that existed were so similar and so simple so it was much easier to know the cars. These days even the most knowledgeable NAPA rep can't and won't know everything. But the quality of auto parts guys, overall, has gone down hill.
Problem is.... the NAPA store did nothing wrong.

Customer ordered a heater core.
Napa employee gave customer correct heater core for application
Heater cores do NOT come wrapped.
Not from NAPA, not from any parts store chain.

He went back to store because he couldn't figure out to take the foam off old core and slip it around new one.
NAPA employee probably trying to be polite as possible and not call him a Dumbass no doubt most likely did look at him dumbly because he wouldn't switch the foam to new heater core, but did offer him a roll of new foam to install new core correctly because at that point he most likely figured for whatever reason the customer either didn't have old foam or simply wanted new, otherwise he would have just swapped it over like everyone does when installing.

Was it a whole roll and not just the small amount he needed?
Most likely was because that foam is used in many applications other then a heater core and anyone doing automotive work uses the stuff for much larger application situations then a small heater core and a roll disappears quick.
But garages simply reuse old foam, and probably 99% of backyard mechanics do too, which boils down to, although that roll of foam can be used to install the heater core, it's usually sold/bought for other reason and why it's sold in a big roll.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I finally figured out, why the Toyota Dealer wants over $400 for a heater core

They sell the core and duct work and the tubes, as all one piece, cause I needed to replace the rubber O-rings on the tubes that

Connect to the core, and called Toyota and asked for the part number for the O-rings and was told there is no part number cause

they are part of the assembly and are not sold separately, then if you call Orielly's, or Autozone and Napa, they don't even show the O-rings, but with out the O-rings the 2 pipes will leak

cause there under pressure, just like the radiator is.

Its shit like that, pisses me off cause, they don't know shit, and just expect you too play there game and spend money

That's why I did the heater core my self, cause I was quote over $700 at every shop in town $400 in parts and $300 in labor

Cause there ****ing idiots that don't know shit, I went Napa paid less than $60 and got the correct core, minus the foam, went to a radiator shop, they wrapped the core in foam

And gave the right O-rings for free, and went and showed a couple of the shops the replacement core and the price I paid for it, they didn't have a ****ing thing too

Say about overcharging for parts, when they could save there customers money and just charge for labor, and let customers provide there own parts

they just want too **** you, and don't give a shit, cause there are people stupid enough too pay it, and not question there bullshit

Me I question everything and if they get pissed off, oh well, there not screwing me

$700 my ****ing ass, not today

I saved $640 dollars, by beaning hard headed and stubborn and a pain in there ass

I reject there bullshit realty and inject my own, and hail to the king baby

Last edited by kgb424; 04-04-2017 at 10:34 AM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Well..
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Some days you feel like

Mongo only pawn

In game of life
Old 04-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

See I would have looked up a service manual or researched what all has to be swapped besides just the core. There is a reason Toyota sells it as a bundle. You are now piece parting the bundle.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Maybe no one wants to deal with you as a customer, so they over quote the price so that you'll just go away. It's a possibility.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post

I went Napa paid less than $60 and got the correct core, minus the foam
weren't you just badmouthing NAPA and calling the employees a bunch of dumbasses for not correctly helping you?

and went and showed a couple of the shops the replacement core and the price I paid for it, they didn't have a ****ing thing too say about overcharging for parts,If you actually did what you just explained you did... you're damn lucky you didn't leave there with a crowbar shoved up your arse or missing a few teeth.
At very least, don't ever expect any of those places to help you out in a bind or even work on your stuff at all when you need it.

Say about overcharging for parts,
Pssssstttttt...... mechanics make zero profit on labor, they make it on upcharging parts.
Labor costs pay the employees, electric, heat, tool expenses, rent etc...
The up-charge on parts is the profit that allows them to run a business, hire better employees, train better employees, and generally be a growing business and feeding their families
It's how the trade has worked since the beginning of time

when they could save there customers money and just charge for labor, and let customers provide there own parts
LMFAO !!!
Ever hear the saying.... "If you're smart enough to go buy your own parts, then don't come here with your parts because you should also be smart enough to put them in yourself... take your parts, leave & have a nice day!"

If you have not yet heard that, buy your own parts and bring them to a quality shop some where and ask them to put them in for you.

I saved $640 dollars, by beaning hard headed and stubborn and a pain in there ass. I reject there bullshit realty and inject my own, and hail to the king baby

Let us all know how that works out for you the first time you have to rely on a local shop after all the times of you going back to shops and rubbing it in their faces that you could buy the parts cheaper and you're the King Baby!!!

I will also add being a mechanic myself....

A town (even surrounding towns) all the mechanics pretty much know each other. Whether it's a dude running his own shop or employees for a dealership and everything in between.
When a customer acts a fool or insulting and know it all, the word spreads faster then you can drive most of the time.

You're then marked. Your vehicles are marked. From the polite guys you'll get a response they are simply booked up and too busy to answer your questions or work on your stuff,
The average guy will simply triple or quadruple the price of parts and labor,
The less patient ones that would just assume thump you one for being like that.... well, they may just end up thumping you one.

Moral to the story.... everyone has to make a living. Most everyone has a family to feed and care for. No one doing work as a business (large or small) can do ANYTHING at cost or free. Nor should they be expected to.

I'd be very interested to know what you do for a living and how often you work for free. I can guess you'll say you do it all the time. Well if you do, I have a ton of stuff you can do for me for free no matter what your profession is.

I wish you MUCH luck if you ever genuinely need a mechanic again in your area if your story is true as you wrote it.

MUCH LUCK
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I own the Chilton's Toyota 1970-1988 repair manual, and knew, I would need new O-rings cause, you have to remove the tubes to install the new heater core in duct work

Plus the O-rings were the factory and one of the 2 O-rings fell apart when I pulled the tubes out, I just thought they would be available at the Toyota dealer or Napa and there not

I also knew that a radiator shop would have the O-rings and carried the foam

I have a mechanic that I use, and have been using him for years, he is just really busy this time of year

And instead of it sitting in his shop yard, until he could get too it, I'm doing the work myself, I have turned a few wrenches in my time, and do enjoy working on some stuff

The bigger jobs, I give to my mechanic, like when the turbo on my GMC diesel would vapor lock and stall out at 65-70 miles a hour, cause by overheating

He figured out the intercooler needed a aftermarket controller and has never had the problem again from overheating, the new one is designed too run a lot cooler

I don't have problems paying, but not when they try and bullshit me or lie to my face

Last edited by kgb424; 04-04-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I took the new core too 2 places, that had no idea what is locally available to them, they both order from Reno or Sparks which is 35 to 40 miles away and pay high prices and charge people high prices for parts

My mechanic lets me buy my parts, and also buys locally as much as possible, to save his customers a little money, the other 2, I have never done busy with them, cause I did read the reviews and ratings of the local shops

Online and just wanted too see for my self, the kind of bullshit, they pulled and were dead on, just like the reviews and rating said they were

You already know I'm a honest asshole and got no reason too bullshit about anything I post on here

That's how I roll, I got nothing too hide

Last edited by kgb424; 04-04-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Reading these posts make my brain hurt. Do you honestly expect a shop to order parts and pass the cost to the customer with no mark-up? If you do, you are nuts as THX stated. Everyone is in the business they are in to make a living to provide for their employee's and their family. If I was a mechanic and you came into my shop with the attitude you have when posting on here, I would kick your a$$. What do you do for a living? I am lucky enough to run my own company doing custom software development. If I had a client that acted like you, I would drop them and NEVER do business with them again.

There is something called respect. You need to respect others in order to get them to respect you. Clearly you don't care. But remember, Bad news travels at the speed of light; good news travels like molasses. once you burn on person of being rude or an asshole.. others will learn that news very quickly.

Clearly you need to go back to school to learn manners, English, and how to be part of the real world.
Huber1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

So I'm the asshole cause I refuse to pay $400 dollars for $60 part, and an asshole again cause, I refuse too pay $300 in labor, when I can do the work my self

When I do use my mechanic, he charges me a hourly rate, and lets me bring in my own parts , or will purchase the parts and charges me, what he paid for them, no mark up

That's why he is the busiest mechanic in town and has too turn people away, cause his lot fills up fast

Cause he doesn't over charge for labor or mark up parts

And that is the way its been for over 5 years now, we have a understanding

He also lets me pay him in beer or buy him a bottle of Whiskey, and calls it good

That's why I'm doing my heater core, he is busy right now and my Toyota would be sitting until

He's got time to get to it, I got time, nothing but time to work on my truck

Don't work about what I do for living

I'm not homeless and do pay my taxes

And a High school graduate and have 2 A.A.S College degree's

Not your typical Dumbass

Smart enough not to get ****ed by over paying

Last edited by kgb424; 04-05-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

You should have called Mark about the insulation issue before going back to Napa. A few words on phone save a lot of trouble.

Since when do you know Mark?
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Yeah , you're an asshole.... no question, NAPA and Toyota certified.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Damnit, some people make life waaaaay harder than it really needs to be and blames everyone else for their lack of understanding and knowledge.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Not 100% related, but this thread made me think of something I seen on reddit on r/Justrolledintotheshop while back.

2011 camaro heater core, step 1: remove windshield

lol - Album on Imgur
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #37

when i was in high school i had a 1981 dodge charger 2.2. it was on the omni plaftorm but they tried to make it a little sporty looking thing. factory dodge car, they made a bunch of them and wasnt some option package or dealer installed whatever. pretty sure even on the title it was dodge charger.

anyway... its 1990 or 91, im a punkass 17 or 18. i go to the local kansas hicktown napa to get a new front wheel bearing. i drive my car there... i tell the guy behind the counter i have a 81 dodge charger 2.2 and i need a front wheel bearing. he looks through his books, goes to the back and brings me a ****ing oldschool tapered wheel bearing set...

i could tell by the size of the box before he even opened it that it was wrong. i said it was the big skateboard bearing looking kind since its fwd and not an old rwd charger. i pointed to it parked out on the street in front of his store, it was right there. big ol' CHARGER 2.2 graphics on it.

that ****wad got mean as shit and scolded me for not knowing what a charger was, and that the only chargers ever made were rear wheel drive. i went to the big a down the street and got what i needed without any hassle.

i dont know what my point is other than im still pissed at that guy at that napa. ive often wondered if he still runs that place or if that old jerkface has dried up and died yet.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #38
RCC Addict

I'm still trying to figure out how a turbo can vapor lock and what an intercooler controller does.

Here's a hint. Your "buddy mechanic" is ripping you off too. Cause neither of those are real things.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how a turbo can vapor lock and what an intercooler controller does.

Here's a hint. Your "buddy mechanic" is ripping you off too. Cause neither of those are real things.
Bullshit, they're on the Kaleco page right next to the blinker fluid and muffler bearings.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Bullshit, they're on the Kaleco page right next to the blinker fluid and muffler bearings.

Next to summer air ?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#bestpartrandownmommasleg, #ipissexcellence, #painfultowatchandread, #wilthisguyevergetabrain?

Napa pissed me off - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Napa free test and tune Tin Soldier Pennsylvania 0 02-03-2014 08:52 PM
my future 1.55 rig: the napa s10 AX10wannabe General Scale Talk 6 11-16-2013 06:46 PM
Help with older Napa R/C car Bobbyocean Non Crawler RC's 0 03-31-2012 10:36 PM