Notices

Thread: Texas Flood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Texas Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Why does America have so many wood houses instead of brick and cement? One hurricane and we see scattered wood planks which once used to be a house. These same wood planks turn into flying missiles that kill people.

O.... and RIP insurance companies of Texas.

Homeowners Insurance doesn't cover flooding, that's optional in some places especially further inland. Insurance companies will cover property damage caused by wind and debris though.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Homeowners Insurance doesn't cover flooding, that's optional in some places especially further inland. Insurance companies will cover property damage caused by wind and debris though.
This, and if your house IS in a flood plane, usually the only insurance that you can get is through Uncle Sam. My brother has a house that is 10 miles away from the beaches in Jacksonville, FL. Last year when the hurricane ripped through the town, every house in his neighborhood lost their roofs. Almost a year later, many of the houses ( his included) still have tarps/plastic sheeting covering where shingles should be as everyone is still battling the insurance companies to get enough of a settlement to pay for the repairs, then they still need to find contractors to do the work.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

It is messed up beyond belief here to be polite about it. I have been on an island since Friday. Escaped water in my apartment by the skin of my teeth. Had looters last night so me and some neighbors are on armed patrol and have made a pact to shoot first and ask later.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Jesus, glad you're safe Steve. The looting I never really understood. Most people have no power, no water, etc. What are you going to do with the shit you steal? Take it to the pawn shop? The one that's under water? WTF?

It's like during Katrina, you saw people looting stores and carrying out 50" flat screens. YOU HAVE NO ELECTRICITY and probably no home to take it to dumb ass.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Watching the news I actually feel bad at times for some reasons that I was spared the devastation. Sooo many people with nothing but the donated clothes on their backs. Worst part is all the news shows is us common folk with boats doing the rescuing. Hardly see anything on the news showing police,fire, or military. I know they are out here but all I see is the average joe going above and beyond for their fellow man. Except for the coast Guard crew that choppered in here yesterday to rescue a lady in labor. Chopper was low enough I waved at the pilot and I saw him wave back.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Jesus, glad you're safe Steve. The looting I never really understood. Most people have no power, no water, etc. What are you going to do with the shit you steal? Take it to the pawn shop? The one that's under water? WTF?

It's like during Katrina, you saw people looting stores and carrying out 50" flat screens. YOU HAVE NO ELECTRICITY and probably no home to take it to dumb ass.
There are some people that see an opportunity to steal something and that's it, they do it because their morale standard is low. I could kind of see stealing some food if you didn't have any and were hungry, in this instance but the people looting just because, should be shot on the spot.
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

PMS,
Glad to hear you and the family are safe.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

I think it cant be far from more expensive to build a wooden house here now. ( due to rules )

Most often when they build the inner walls will be 4 - 6" precast concrete elements, those then go up first and a brick wall are then put around that, and i think the min are now 200 mm insulation at least to go in between those 2 walls.

You are not allowed as a Dane to buy a pice of land and build what ever you like on it, or do whatever you like on it, the rule book here are thick

O and we dont have any hurricanes here, the Danish record wind speed are only 119 MPH measured in 2013 during the storm named Allan.
In storms like that a few houses loose its roof, a lot of trees are broken, a few scaffolding might crash. o and a lot of trampolines and garden furniture go flying but that's due to many Danes having poo instead of a brain.

Last edited by Peaker; 08-30-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
It is messed up beyond belief here to be polite about it. I have been on an island since Friday. Escaped water in my apartment by the skin of my teeth. Had looters last night so me and some neighbors are on armed patrol and have made a pact to shoot first and ask later.
Texas lets you justifiably shoot trespasser at night right? At least that's what I was told some time ago
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #30
Come and take them!®

In survival mode, which they are, I would shoot first. Give me a jury of 12 to decide. Steal my chit? I'll FYU.

Open carry laws rules in Texas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas
Gotta love Texas.
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

And even with Texas gun laws, there are looters! Lmao. Just goes to show, any amount of laws doesn't fix stupid, crazy people.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
I think it cant be far from more expensive to build a wooden house here now. ( due to rules )

Most often when they build the inner walls will be 4 - 6" precast concrete elements, those then go up first and a brick wall are then put around that, and i think the min are now 200 mm insulation at least to go in between those 2 walls.

You are not allowed as a Dane to buy a pice of land and build what ever you like on it, or do whatever you like on it, the rule book here are thick

O and we dont have any hurricanes here, the Danish record wind speed are only 119 MPH measured in 2013 during the storm named Allan.
In storms like that a few houses loose its roof, a lot of trees are broken, a few scaffolding might crash. o and a lot of trampolines and garden furniture go flying but that's due to many Danes having poo instead of a brain.

We're pretty free to build whatever, just depends on what land you're building on. However, with recent storms, the building codes here have beefed up significantly with inspections to ensure builders are following these new codes. They go as far as counting the amount of nails in certain places. In addition, many subdivisions have a homeowners association that regulate the style, size, and accessories of house in an effort to maintain higher property values, or so they say...
Majority of new construction housing around here is slab foundation with 2x4 or 2x6" wood frame work with brick/stucco veneers.
We also have flying trampolines, lawn gnomes, kids toys, etc. that cause additional damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
And even with Texas gun laws, there are looters! Lmao. Just goes to show, any amount of laws doesn't fix stupid, crazy people.

-Corrupt

Now if you can beat this in the thick skulls of those idiots trying to ban guns, I'd appreciate it.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #33
Come and take them!®

Free tattoo if caught looting in Texas!
Attached Images

Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

SB got lucky. My HD shotguns are backed with Bird Shot, 00 and then a slug for a 3 warning count.

Been peppered with rock salt by a farmer and shot in the Arse by a 22short AD. That is a pain that makes you think more than twice.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Big Mud Trucks Helping out.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fleet-mons...opstories.html

Monster truck put into action in Texas - CNN Video
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter711 View Post
Free tattoo if caught looting in Texas!
Is that from a shot gun?

Edit :- Yes it is

Last edited by wings_of_fire; 09-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Is that from a shot gun?

Edit :- Yes it is
Yeah - rock salt + close range. Doesn't cause too much harm but it sure hurts like hell.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote

Texas Flood - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colorado flood victims Alamo71 Chit Chat 0 09-17-2013 07:26 PM
Duluth flood diesel kawboy Minnesota 4 06-26-2012 08:55 AM
Mist or flood cooling Crawling Calvin Tools, and Procedures 32 08-23-2010 07:33 PM
The Iowa Flood Mnster Iowa 15 07-01-2008 08:05 PM
TXRCRCA East Texas chapter presents: comp 1 Tyler Texas mexiCAN Louisiana 12 05-18-2008 11:19 PM