Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1/7 scale Traxxas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #181
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 1/7 scale Traxxas

^^Agreed, I've had large scale stuff. Had to haul them in the bed of the truck and tie them down. Also, there comes a point where I just need dedicated batteries for one rig, and I personally don't do that. It's just more economically smart for me at least to be able to reuse packs in multiple rigs in single pack form.

All this talk and drooling over the UDR reminded me that I still had a few somewhat cool rigs in the garage that I haven't touched in a couple years. So I went and dug those out and got them running. If I still want a UDR when they hit shelves, we'll see how much I run the stuff I have now that my interest in RC is getting rekindled. If everything ends up back in the garage on a shelf, no need to spend the money.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #182

Those saying the UDR should be 1/5th scale never had the "pleasure" of lugging around a 35 pound truck.

1/5th scale RWD is a blast to drive. It's large enough to have controlled off road drifts. So fun. 4WD is overkill IMO. If you can't drive RWD in 1/5th scale you just can't drive, period.

1/5th scale should be gas powered anyway. 1/5th scale electronics and batteries are so expensive.

Traxxas is so large and popular that they create markets. 1/7th is suddenly the scale to have. You know the UDR will sell more than the competition and they'll also have a much larger aftermarket.

The upside down chassis or whatever you want to call it is such an innovation. They did what no other company did and they figured out how make the truck scale and easy to work on without removing a cage. People that say Traxxas doesn't innovative forget about things like this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #183
Quarry Creeper

To be clear, I didn't mind lugging the rigs around. But 1/5 scales need a LOT of room to be fun, and I just don't have that where I live without a LONG drive to get to it. Stuff that seems super rough with a 1/8 scale, a 1/5 will pound through at full speed in total plush control. So that play area that used to be perfect, now feels tiny and cramped, none of the obstacles are big enough, etc. The cool part was, places where my 1/8 rigs might wheelie a bit over a bank or rise, a 20+lbs 1/5 rig will load the suspension enough to really launch, as a real car would. If there were somewhere to run them with people to run with, I'd still have a 1/5 gasser. Nothing compares to driving a 1/5 IMHO for the reasons mentioned above. They eat up terrain fast enough that the sound delay compared to radio input will really mess with you, just like large scale aircraft, and that's pretty incredible to me for a RC "toy". I also don't know anyone to run RC with anymore, everybody moved away, had kids, etc. Running RC alone gets old, at least for me.

Last edited by hpiguy; 02-11-2018 at 11:46 AM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #184
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i had a Baja 5T.
sold it due to size needed to store. and the hassle of gas.

from Cory Mitchell on Vimeo.

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #185
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Those saying the UDR should be 1/5th scale never had the "pleasure" of lugging around a 35 pound truck.

1/5th scale RWD is a blast to drive. It's large enough to have controlled off road drifts. So fun. 4WD is overkill IMO. If you can't drive RWD in 1/5th scale you just can't drive, period.

1/5th scale should be gas powered anyway. 1/5th scale electronics and batteries are so expensive.

Traxxas is so large and popular that they create markets. 1/7th is suddenly the scale to have. You know the UDR will sell more than the competition and they'll also have a much larger aftermarket.

The upside down chassis or whatever you want to call it is such an innovation. They did what no other company did and they figured out how make the truck scale and easy to work on without removing a cage. People that say Traxxas doesn't innovative forget about things like this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The chassis is very cool. I hate wrenching on rigs that dont allow easy access to components.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #186
RCC Addict

I thought 5th scale electric would be cool until I priced out the batteries, at which point gas was a no brainer. I think the UDR is the perfect size being slightly bigger than the usual 8th scale, kind of like a YXL. The SBR is close enough to a 5th scale that I'd like to look at one next to a DBXL-E in person first.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The chassis is very cool. I hate wrenching on rigs that dont allow easy access to components.
Same here, especially after working at a hobby shop. I hate wrenching on the 2wd Arrma stuff and despise most of the Helion product line that was around until I changed "careers" in mid '16.
BJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #188

You do need a large area to have fun with the Baja. And once you put a pipe on it the added power absolutely shreds grass so running in the yard isn't an option. Plus, with the pipe it's as loud as a dirt bike. My Baja 5T just sits in my garage because nobody ever wants to give you anything for them.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #189
Quarry Creeper

I could give you a hug for it.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
I could give you a hug for it.
You whore!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #191
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My Baja 5T just sits in my garage because nobody ever wants to give you anything for them.
Mine too. It's the King Motor effect. Why buy used when you can get a new clone for the same price that's basically the same thing?

I might just fire it up this summer and go fnd a big construction site somewhere. It is boxed up for a sale that fell through and I haven't even seen it in years. Still has an FM radio in it IIRC.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Mine too. It's the King Motor effect. Why buy used when you can get a new clone for the same price that's basically the same thing?

I might just fire it up this summer and go fnd a big construction site somewhere. It is boxed up for a sale that fell through and I haven't even seen it in years. Still has an FM radio in it IIRC.
Let's do it!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #193
RCC Addict

/\/\/\ Chit Chat - call me when this thread gets back on track with updates on the UDR - Oh wait this is the chit chat section nevermind.

Last edited by rockhugger; 02-12-2018 at 01:17 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #194
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

Quote:
Let's do it!
You guys are too far away or id be in. Skip to 2:25

">
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #195
RCC Addict

That thing is wicked fast. Looks like you need to spend some time dialing in the suspension if possible with that much horsepower. Nic vid.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #196

Here are two vids of my Baja. My friend took these years ago when we raced at the Mushroom Bowl. I have the Baja 5T. I held the lap record there until guys started bringing out massive engines. Racing on this track was a ton of fun. Then they changed the track configuration and made it too tight for 1/5th scale stuff. Ruined it and the 1/5th scale scene died quickly after that.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
That thing is wicked fast. Looks like you need to spend some time dialing in the suspension if possible with that much horsepower. Nic vid.
Thanks but Nah. My mini is worse with 1500w more. For me I'd rather have 20min of stupid power than run time. I can't concentrate any longer than that anyhow.

This was the first real run after I went from 5B to the cage. Still had 5B set up expect for 2 lower teeth on the pinion for the tires. I was testing that this day and then was going to go for shock tuning and diff on next run. Got a huge contract at work so haven't touched it since. Will resume tuning and testing in the next few weeks though. Fun for a 2wd.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:20 AM   #198
RCC Addict

Anybody have a better idea when these will land here? I'm not a preorder guy, I like to see something first but I'm getting the itch.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #199
Rock Crawler

We have raced and bashed a lot of the large vehicles, from competitive on road racing with the Contrast to the offroad stuff like the FG offoraders and the HPI 5 B & T.
And while it have always been great fun then the noise of the gas trucks always annoyed me, like the smaller nitro cars its all fun and gamed for a little while and then it just become annoying ( to me at least )

And adding a even louder exhaust dont make it better.

Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #200

im gonna wait for udr to come in kit form.. traxxas just did it for the trx4.. too bad the radio equipment is included. i like using one radio for all my cars. im weird,right handed radios throw me off. gotta have the steering wheel in my left fingers lol..
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote