Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Kyosho outlaw rampage pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Kyosho outlaw rampage pro

32-pitch worked! I forgot to count the teeth, so no idea what the ratio is currently ( circumference is the same as the ori spur, but that’s not telling anything) edit: It’s a 54t Turnigy 32p spur Used a small 13t pinion, just to be careful. Speed is about the same as with the old spur and 18t
19t pinion. Maybe a tad quicker on the straights. Internal gear ratio I do not know.

Ran a pack through the pro. Slipper works, no melting or excessive slipping. ESC got a bit hot, but that’s not too strange since it’s 32.8C at the moment and there’s no fan on the ESC. Mebbe I’ll go one teeth lower to 12t as long as it is this hot outside.

All in all it’s blissfully silent. Really, really silent. I can actually hear the tires on the tarmac..

I hope Kyosho aknowledges there’s something awry with the spur/pinion. Gonna mail Kyosho Europe to make them aware there rèally is a problem!

For those wanting to go 32p, this could work with an 11t pinion. : https://www.associatedelectrics.com/..._gear_54t_32p/

Gear ratio is about the same as the ori spur with 19t pinion, 1:4.7 or thereabouts.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-28-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Awesome info guys! I haven't picked one up yet, but It's definitely on my radar. *sigh* I now have 3 Kyosho's to pick up. Turbo Optima, this, and Ultima....
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #103
Rock Crawler

Basically finished:

Loverly retro-style helmets:

Radiator with fake tubing. :

All lights on. Uper lights switch-on during driving:

View into cabin with drivers. :

Shame that I ran out of warm white LEDs. They would have made the retro look complete.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-27-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

looks great!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #105
RCC Addict

This looks like it would be such a fun truck to drive, especially with a locked diff. I just love to drift

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Indeed fun to drive. Challenging, also. All sorts of ‘bad’ habits acquired while driving mostly 4wd rc cars and/or low-cg 2wd with full independent suspension, have to be de-learned, so to speak. No more lazy ‘just slam it in the corner’ but more ‘softly tap brakes, steer-in, let it slide for a bit, softly add power, and slam it when the truck stabilizes.

I guess it’s a prime candidate for steering and throttle stabilizers like the Spectrum system.

It also drives the best on somewhat loose undergrounds. Too much grip makes it rather like a tumbleweed if you’re not careful with the throttle.

I lòve it.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-27-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Per Kyosho USA: "... The spur on this vehicle has always been a bit loud. I think they used too hard of a plastic for it. If and when you might replace the spur gear again, you might want to try an AE spur gear? I think the pads will fit. Our largest race spur gear is 82, and you’d need different slipper pads"

More to the conversation, but it was not for the public. Kudos to big K for recommending a competitor's gear to give the best result.

Also, Losi LOS232038 looks like a perfect fit (84t/48p) and comes with slipper pads bonded on. It's a Losi 22 gear ... Looks to be a bit better setup than the teflon pads in the KORP. Next time I have the trans option, I'll swap it in and give it a shot.

Drove mine a bit more today....didn't make any changes or do any tuning, just kicking up some dirt.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Basically finished:
That looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Per Kyosho USA: "... The spur on this vehicle has always been a bit loud. I think they used too hard of a plastic for it. If and when you might replace the spur gear again, you might want to try an AE spur gear? I think the pads will fit. Our largest race spur gear is 82, and you’d need different slipper pads"

More to the conversation, but it was not for the public. Kudos to big K for recommending a competitor's gear to give the best result.

Also, Losi LOS232038 looks like a perfect fit (84t/48p) and comes with slipper pads bonded on. It's a Losi 22 gear ... Looks to be a bit better setup than the teflon pads in the KORP. Next time I have the trans option, I'll swap it in and give it a shot.

Drove mine a bit more today....didn't make any changes or do any tuning, just kicking up some dirt.
That's funny. They've been in the business how long and they can't make a spur?

At least they did you right by suggesting a better alternative.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #109
Rock Crawler

Paint accomplished! Tamiya's PS-37 translucent red backed with PS-23 gunmetal makes a deep metallic purple.

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Looks fantastic. Almost like candy flake.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #111

Hey Everyone,

I'm debating building one of these with a Castle Mamba X and 4600kv motor. It would be running on 3S. Do you think it's transaxle could handle such a set-up?
Trash_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash_Panda View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm debating building one of these with a Castle Mamba X and 4600kv motor. It would be running on 3S. Do you think it's transaxle could handle such a set-up?
I think 4600kv on 2S would be OK, but that much on 3S is asking for broken parts. This truck doesn't seem to be built for extreme bashing. Also, most 3S batteries wouldn't fit the chassis because the battery compartment is sized to accept a traditional NiMh stick pack.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Yup. Overkill. Gearbox could most likely handle it, but driving it would be a challenge.

2S would be fine and more than enough power for the chassis.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #114

Thanks for the input. All I currently own is 3S. Perhaps 3800kv? I'm not planning on bashing it. I like having the top end speed on the flat straightaways.
Trash_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash_Panda View Post
Thanks for the input. All I currently own is 3S. Perhaps 3800kv? I'm not planning on bashing it. I like having the top end speed on the flat straightaways.
If you insist on 3S, I would do 3000kv or lower. If my math is correct, 3000kv on 3S would be faster than my 4000kv on 2S, which is already plenty fast on stock gearing (and there's room to gear up for even more speed). I have no idea if there would be heat issues, but that's something to think about too.

Just be sure your 3S batteries will actually fit in the chassis.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #116
Rock Crawler

Warning!!!

Be very VERY careful with strapping-in “big power” The idler gear is made of butter!! I stripped it on 2S with a 4-pole 3000kv on a 56t 32-p spur with a 13t pinion. 3s @3000kv will MOST CERTAINLY kill the gears. Gearset is about £12.- and the idler isn’t sold separately. So ‘big power’ will get expensive quite quickly.

Only way to get some endurance is to be meticulous with the slipper. No cranking it down because the truck doesn’t accelerate fast enough!

I now understand why Kyosho advises fairly low power brushless motors.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 09-12-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

So... That just makes me wonder if robinson has something we can toss into this guy to make it rip?
I dont need like, UDR speed but close to yeti RTR would be nice?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Dang - some killer looking trucks here! This thing has peaked my interest. I was a bit hesitant with the MOA set up, but it's a great looking rig no doubt.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:31 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

bout to pull the trigger on one of these! Begging for a set of SSD Champion wheels and BFgoodrich K02 tires!
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #120
Rock Crawler

For those interested : Bigsquid finally has the review of the Pro up!

Their experiences echo mine, being that I’m not stupid enough to park it in a curb with 30mph. Apparently one of their guys is even more ‘motorically challenged’ thah I am.. I got the motor skills of a drunk toddler nowadays They broke a rear arm.
Added to that, they cheated! ( sort of) Their crew used AVC, and, as I expected, it helps quite a lot while driving.

I wonder when they start stripping idlers..

Last edited by Jay-Em; 09-28-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Kyosho outlaw rampage pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho Outlaw Ultima Xporter Non Crawler RC's 10 08-03-2017 04:21 AM
Rampage MT PRO ATV Richalaska Videos! 3 03-10-2016 05:43 AM
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Truck grizzlypaugh Non Crawler RC's 5 04-11-2012 04:14 AM