Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Working on cars and being broke down prepared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2020, 01:39 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Working on cars and being broke down prepared

Back on topic.

For the last 12 years ive been buying Toyotas. This is for reliability reasons for when the wife drives, with or without the kids. Both our primary vehicles are usually no older than 6 years, and a few older "toys" over the years: 1985 GTI, 1991 Jetta GLI, 2003 Vr6 GTI, 1990, 1993 toyota Pickups, 1990 Volvo 740t.

My wife plainly refuses to do anything with a car, period There are memberships we pay for that cover flats, etc she says. My wife would just sit in the car, id pick her/them up, probably swap vehicles and get stuck with the btoken down one. This has never happened to any of our primary vehicles (toyota) though.

I have broken down a few times. The 85 GTI i had the white shift linkage connectiors gear break on me leaving me with 1-3 gear. Throttle body boot opened once stalling me in front of a yellow and into a red; right in front of a cop, fücķ that ticket was expensive. Fixed on the road, or driven home mostly.

The Jetta would break down for a different reason everytime. I'd fix it and something else would break. Got rid of it quickly after it developed major electrical problems and leaks.

03 GTI was a problem child and one of the times it crapped out on me, the variable valve bodies locked up
, no power, idle at best. Tranny went into self destruct mode, made it to the dealership without it locking up on me. That car spent many weeks, months at the service department.

The alternator belt broke on my volvo, battery drained and was stranded after i found out our Walmart no longer carries belts. Panty hose trick did not work either, so i was stranded untill i could get a new belt.

My Pickups havent left me stranded, other than a tire valve stem blowout on my 93 PU. Had to get towed as i had no spare or tool kit.

Last edited by Gula; 12-14-2020 at 01:42 AM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I drive old junk. The road driven fleet is consisting of an 89' Civic, a '94 Camry, and a '99 Camry I had to have because it is v6 manual trans.

My father is the least mechanically inclined person you ever met, but I lucked out and apprenticed at a local auto shop for a few years starting at age 12. Looking back, this was the most learning I ever did. Hands on, asking tons of questions, always about the why, how, and root cause of failure.

I was an auto tech for the last 14 years until a couple monthes ago, so I'm pretty good about preventative maintenance and knowing by feel or sound when something's close to failing. So between that and the fact that each car has a personalized tool kit squirreled away, along with an assortment of fluids, belts, fuses, and even bulbs, and I feel pretty prepared wherever I go. I check fluids and tire pressures bi weekly, shake down the suspension and peek at the brakes when they are on the lift every 3k for oil changes.

As newer vehicles get more complicated, more difficult to work on, use more expensive parts, require more special tools, and have shorter service lifespans, I dont know how most people manage to afford a modern car. New cars in this country are made to meet a safety and emission/fuel economy standard, not to go the distance, or be reasonable to service.

I see it all the time where people have vehicles that are just out of warranty that require thousands in repairs while thousands are still owed on it. It's almost like the manufacturers want them so expensive to repair that trading in towards the newest pile of crap seems appealing.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a bit sour towards the entire automotive industry right now.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I learned from my dad. Teaching my girls a little at a time. The youngest has a SRT4. We have been working on it when ever she wants to change/up grade something. 1 of her Christmas presents will be a Darrell Cox racing short throw shifter. I usually watch over her working on things and jump in when needed. We have already up graded the shifter linkage bushings. Turbo will be next then paint and new wheels.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote

Working on cars and being broke down prepared - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepared For The Trails Stomper Fan 777 General Scale Talk 3 01-12-2015 09:14 AM
wasnt someone working on a "Tater" scaler? (disney/pixar CARS) STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 5 05-07-2007 07:33 PM
Be prepared shortbusjeep Chit Chat 15 02-11-2006 04:14 PM