Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Sportsman Class at Nationals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sococrawler View Post
1st off not hijacking this thread! just a quick ?

Why? IMO it doesnt help you, it's not the same rig u need to drive to get good with!

It does help you. Driving without dig will make you watch your lines much better.

Also, we just started our sportsman class, but the sportsman trucks are ran on different courses than 2.2 Pro.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I think killing the 1.9 and replacing it with 2.2 shafty, is a great idea.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple questions for those that think their should be a Sportsman Class at Nationals.

Whats the purpose of Sportsman Class at Nationals?

Can all drivers drive both 2.2 Pro and Sportsman?
(Yes or No and why?)
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Our top driver, and the 3 time world champ runs both classes.

And dont forget he also designed the GC3A chassis that has put a few bergs in the for sale section

We have a few good drivers that are building/just built sportsman rigs.
And will probably see several more popping up after the Turkey Crawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I think some of the confusion/contreversy is coming from the fact that there are actually two different trains of thought on the class. Some people (including myself) view the "Sportsman class" as just a shafty / no dig class. But other folks are thinking of it as a "novice" class. The "Sportsman class" to me is classifying the truck type, but "Novice class" is classifying the drivers.
In my opinion there is a place for Sportsman Class (shafty/no dig) at Nationals.
Dang all that from Biscuit?? Must be good info!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
It does help you. Driving without dig will make you watch your lines much better.

Walking, talking, proof of that right here

Also, we just started our sportsman class, but the sportsman trucks are ran on different courses than 2.2 Pro.
And a few that a berg cant do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
I think killing the 1.9 and replacing it with 2.2 shafty, is a great idea.
That just makes plain good sense, I am with Rene on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
I have a couple questions for those that think their should be a Sportsman Class at Nationals.

Whats the purpose of Sportsman Class at Nationals?

In these times of tough economics, everybody doesn't have a couple of grand to toss out for TI bergs, Example there is this guy in Georgia that has a XR10 that was built for demonstrations and was based on economics, Why can't there be a shaft truck class based on economics and provide a choice?

Can all drivers drive both 2.2 Pro and Sportsman?
(Yes or No and why?)
I have had this discussion with several people over the last year and a half and there is not a clear, rational, reason not to allow anybody to drive a shaft truck. One of the most important things to consider is attendance, and as Biscuit stated "its not just a novice class", Its more like an economical approach to get more people crawling.

Last edited by hbj069; 11-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #25

Default why i drive sportsman......

Whether it should be at the Nationals I can't say.... doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't go anyways. I had a full blown Berg two years ago and chose not to keep throwing money at it. When it looked like it was turning into another Super class I got out. Needing a 4ch radio and all the gadgets to keep up repulsed me. I had been down that road in other hobbies and decided not to and I won't in the future either! When I drove a "new" Sportsman rig my buddy had just built I decided to get back into crawling. I think this class is where it is at for me. I don't consider it a novice class..... just a budget class. A lot of us are watching our pennies right now and this may appeal to way more people than we know. At our local comp Sat..... I heard several guys say they really loved the class. Many pros are building a sportsman rig to join the fun.......... now I am starting my second sportsman rig for different style courses.
bjanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #26
RCC Addict

There has been many threads about how the cost of a sportsman rig is not that much cheaper then a full blown 2.2 Pro. You can build a Bully or an XR10 for the same price as a Sportsman rig. You can get a Bully ARTR for $289.99 and then drop another $200.00 to $400.00 to have a really good/reliable crawler. You can pick up a XR10 for around $260.00 and then spend $250.00 to $450.00 and once again have an amazing crawler for what, $100.00 more then a Sportsman rig?
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
There has been many threads about how the cost of a sportsman rig is not that much cheaper then a full blown 2.2 Pro. You can build a Bully or an XR10 for the same price as a Sportsman rig. You can get a Bully ARTR for $289.99 and then drop another $200.00 to $400.00 to have a really good/reliable crawler. You can pick up a XR10 for around $260.00 and then spend $250.00 to $450.00 and once again have an amazing crawler for what, $100.00 more then a Sportsman rig?
I agree with what your saying to a certian point. The crawler itself isnt "That much" cheaper. But when you start saving money is when you get into the electronics. Dont have to have the rather costly 4 ch radios, (dont really even have to have a 3 ch for that matter) only one motor, dont have to run a electronic dig......
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Bully = 689.00
XR10 =669.00

GC3A chassis 75.00
FX/R used 80.00
Hitec 5955 55.00
Shocks 40.00
35 t motor 35.00
axles used 60.00
total 345.00

All 3 still require radio, comp wheels and tires. Without a full blown cost analysis I highly doubt that I have broken $300 with my fully ready sportman rig. On the other hand I have over $700 in the XR10 and will have to spend more in the very near future to keep it from self destructing itself. I am positively sure that the Titanium rigs at nationals were over 2 grand each to build.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Default Kill the 1.9 class

Kill the 1.9 class,
did you fall and bump your head!!!!!

budget and no dig!!!
mark reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark reel View Post
Kill the 1.9 class,

budget and no dig!!!

LOL not if I had your mad skillz
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
LOL not if I had your mad skillz
Well Thank you
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Default too many great points

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
Bully = 689.00
XR10 =669.00

GC3A chassis 75.00
FX/R used 80.00
Hitec 5955 55.00
Shocks 40.00
35 t motor 35.00
axles used 60.00
total 345.00

All 3 still require radio, comp wheels and tires. Without a full blown cost analysis I highly doubt that I have broken $300 with my fully ready sportman rig. On the other hand I have over $700 in the XR10 and will have to spend more in the very near future to keep it from self destructing itself. I am positively sure that the Titanium rigs at nationals were over 2 grand each to build.
there are just too many great points here as to the difference in a "Comp" rig and a sportsman rig, Too make a killer sportsman rig will cost almost as much, you take the same driver and give him a "Sportsman" Losi, Bully, berg, xr10 and drive a course and give that same driver a ax10, creeper, TLT and it would be night and day what they coud do, the rigs have evolved 10 fold over the last 2 years.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #33
RCC Addict

I agree Mark and to be honest It all comes down to personal preference and what that person wants to do with it, Sportsman is just another lateral platform we can use to enhance the crawling experience for others that may not want to get that deep (yet)
Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark reel View Post
Kill the 1.9 class,

budget and no dig!!!
Yes I feel a couple times last month, but I always had my helmet on.

Budget? You really think it is a good deal to have a complete inventory of parts that are not compatible with your other crawlers? For a 2.2 Comp driver, running the sportman/shafty class is way more attractive.

No Dig!!! yes (neither class has dig)

Last edited by renoirbud; 11-01-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I think some of the confusion/contreversy is coming from the fact that there are actually two different trains of thought on the class. Some people (including myself) view the "Sportsman class" as just a shafty / no dig class. But other folks are thinking of it as a "novice" class. The "Sportsman class" to me is classifying the truck type, but "Novice class" is classifying the drivers.
In my opinion there is a place for Sportsman Class (shafty/no dig) at Nationals.
I agree with Biscuit.
A-RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Here's my take on it which is honestly based not on the classes we have but the years of racing RC I've done.

Sportsman is a novice class. It is not limited class or a spec class. Those would be called limited or spec and would not be a class about growing the sport by allowing non-pro level (aka sponsored) or you new drivers share a bit of the win. Sportsman classes in all forms of racing from RC to 1:1 is about making it for the new people at a local level to hopefully gain more people to grow the sport.

Pro classes are that where the big boys who can do. All sponsored drivers, I don't care if you get free screws...sponsored is a pro level class. Though a pro class is not limited to sponsored racers, it is for those who want to be in the big show. This is the class people want to be in or strive to be in...some may not make it because of cost or skill when you get the big names out, but they would rather be with the tough drivers trying to win.

In racing sportsman is for the locals, the kids, and the young racers...or those in it just for fun not recognition or competition. Believe it or not while some of us prefer competition some people just do it for the fun and comradarie.

The truth is if it was added it would cause more time issues and more need for judges and support. Plus would true sportsman drivers (novices and fun seekers) really travel the country, or would this predominantly be locals who comp there all the time anyhow.

When you look at in those terms...it seems that National events with plenty of classes (currently 3 and LCQ) would be even longer and therefore probably more costly to those people/families to attend the events.

As a racer I always entered the Pro class...because even last in pro meant you at least were competitive enough to try with the best. Now not everyone is competitive...and thats their choice.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Really... whats the difference between the 1.9 class being a nats class, and the Sportsman class being a nats class?

I view Sportsman as just another class (like big 1.9s). It shares everything in common with the 1.9s except size.

What it really represents is more time that we don't have. Its hard enough to find judges for the courses we already run. More classes require more judges and more time.

So 1.9 or sportsman at nats... It doesn't really matter. It's practically the same. But to ask to add yet another class is asking a little too much...especially when big events have to practically beg for judges to maintain courses for the classes we already have.

EDIT: Very good points made by Binaryterror !

Last edited by Harvo; 11-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #38
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Really... whats the difference between the 1.9 class being a nats class, and the Sportsman class being a nats class?

I view Sportsman as just another class (like big 1.9s). It shares everything in common with the 1.9s except size.

What it really represents is more time that we don't have. Its hard enough to find judges for the courses we already run. More classes require more judges and more time.

So 1.9 or sportsman at nats... It doesn't really matter. It's practically the same. But to ask to add yet another class is asking a little too much...especially when big events have to practically beg for judges to maintain courses for the classes we already have.

EDIT: Very good points made by Binaryterror !
I agree. We got 1.9s at the nats, but sportsman class is great at a local level.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #39
RCC Addict

There are many valid points in this thread.

I really wish that the sportmen class would have been called the shafty class. It would have avoided alot of these issues.

An important point is, if the sportmen class is restricted to keep Comp drivers out, then who is going to organize the class?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #40
RCC Addict

All extremely good points but I think Rene has a very strong point with the 2.2 parts being interchangeable, and that alone is the biggest reason for my 1.9 still being in the boxes.

Last edited by hbj069; 11-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.