Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Sportsman Class at Nationals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Sportsman Class at Nationals

After talking to several people about the Nationals next year and how they usually run things... it turns out that even though most of the National Qualifiers have Sportsman classes that the Nationals doesnt.

Im just curious why ?

If the Sportsman driver can compete at the Qualifiers doesnt it seem fair to have a spotlight for them at Nationals?

Is the information I got right or wrong about the event?

Id like to see the Sportsman Class in the Nationals. I think it would be very beneficial to the hobby and those who drive Sportsman and those just starting out to see that they too can compete on a National level.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
After talking to several people about the Nationals next year and how they usually run things... it turns out that even though most of the National Qualifiers have Sportsman classes that the Nationals doesnt.

Im just curious why ?

If the Sportsman driver can compete at the Qualifiers doesnt it seem fair to have a spotlight for them at Nationals?

Is the information I got right or wrong about the event?

Id like to see the Sportsman Class in the Nationals. I think it would be very beneficial to the hobby and those who drive Sportsman and those just starting out to see that they too can compete on a National level.
Personally, I would like to see the Sportsman class to stay local and focused on getting new crawlers into our hobby and as a safe place to acquire the driving and tuning skills that will some day allow them to compete in the 2.2 class
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Old guy

I feel it should stay local also. Our club use it as a novice class. Besides that I don't think there's enough time in the event to have another class.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Personally I think sportsman should be a national level class. I think it takes more patients and more challenging to drive a nondig rig on a course. I know the moa's are the ultimate but the sportsmans have come a long way from what they were, and honestly their are place my gc-3a will go that my berg wont. With that said each class should have its own place in the spot light...
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
R.I.P. Chip

I can't think of any of the National events that run sportsmans?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

i agree with green crawler that there should be a sportsman class because it makes it more challengine because of no dig its the basics and were it all starter of crawling and at national level you would think that there would be a class but then y did they create 1.9 to have no dig i agree with both because it would just be a biger 1.9 class but my clud only has 2.2 no sportsman or novice because of 1.9 but my frien runs his ax10 with no dig in comps and he will keep up with my creeper with a dig and he has stock tires so he is pretty good and has his place
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
i agree with green crawler that there should be a sportsman class because it makes it more challengine because of no dig its the basics and were it all starter of crawling and at national level you would think that there would be a class but then y did they create 1.9 to have no dig i agree with both because it would just be a biger 1.9 class but my clud only has 2.2 no sportsman or novice because of 1.9 but my frien runs his ax10 with no dig in comps and he will keep up with my creeper with a dig and he has stock tires so he is pretty good and has his place
Punctuation much?

Leave sportsman class to the local clubs. Nationals are the best of the best and progressing the sport. Also, it would probably add another day to the event.

You think a sportsman driver is going to spend the money to travel to a national comp to compete? He should have already spent that money/time on making a better truck to get out of the sportsman's class at his local club.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks;
those just starting out to see that they too can compete on a National level.
Not to be a smart ass or trying being mean, but isn't that an oxymoron? Really someone that is starting out should get to Nationals? What about all the other drivers that can't make it, should they get to be in the spotlight too some how?

Competing at National level should be for those that are at the top of the game, not those just starting out.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
its the basics and were it all starter of crawling
Sorry, but SUPERS/Unlimited trucks that had 4ws, dig,etc. are what started crawling. It was far from a stock RTR truck with the basics

RMD- Yes sportsman guys may run at my BGC qualifier, but they have to run with the pros and the same rules and courses. They do not get split up at all
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This question was posed out of the need for a little clarification. It hasnt turned out that way. I posted the thread because I was curious as to why the National's dont include the Sportsman class. From the beginning for me when I personally started crawling I got two impressions of the so called Spotsman class.

One idea was that it was the Shafty/MOA Digless class, regardless of driver skill. Now that does leave the class a little more equal for those that do just get into the hobby. But for some, like myself who drove MOA 2.2 Pro or Shafty 2.2 Pro,,,this was a choice to get back to the roots of the driving skill. Getting off the crutch of dig. The local Pro's have said it more than once that its terrible driving an MOA equipped with a dig unit without using the dig. "How do you turn?", is one of the more memorable quotes.

The second idea is that it is the Novice class, for beginners, amateurs and as Ive recently seen it put the "Pissants." There are a lot of capable drivers in the local Sportsman scene that already crawl the same lines as the Pro's, since the Sportsman courses are part of the overall course. Our local comps run the Sportsman class through the first 5-6 gates of a 10 gate course. A lot of times the following gates are given to the Sportman driver as Bonus gates, but more over to get them to drive on past the Sportsman finish and try to run the run the full course.

There are a few of us who have the parts or the ability to run DIG but choose not too. I personally enjoy running my Shafty Digless. Ive had more fun since I took the dig out then I have since I started crawling. I am also currently responsible for building several crawlers including pro and Sportsman rigs that are doing better and better with each comp they attend.

I guess it comes down to this, if time is the issue then ok I get it. IMHO I think the country could easily be split by the concerned clubs into a few regions and one or two of the top Sportsman drivers could earn a spot to compete. I know for myself,,I dont ask for any special consideration just because I drive a Sportsman class rig. I was just asking for the Class to be considered, but not if its gonna be based on the perceived driver skill in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
Punctuation much?

Leave sportsman class to the local clubs. Nationals are the best of the best and progressing the sport. Also, it would probably add another day to the event.

You think a sportsman driver is going to spend the money to travel to a national comp to compete? He should have already spent that money/time on making a better truck to get out of the sportsman's class at his local club.
I agree that the National events are the best of the best, but I think the hobby progresses because of the local clubs. The guys who put on events that passers-by watch and get interested in and buy kits who support the stores who sell parts etc. to the ones who run weekly. The hobby grows from new comers, who progress with each event they attend. The people who learn form the guys out there trying to be the best of the best. My point is, if the hobby lost all new sales of kits tomorrow and had to rely on the sale of parts only to only current rig owners then the hobby would suffer greatly. I personaaly could not travel to any National events this last year due to my own circumstances, but I know several who did. They too, enjoy running the Sportsman class.

Im not here to argue with anyone or get into a pissing match with anyone. I just wanted to pose a question based on a class that is laid out in the USRCCA. I am one of several Sportsman drivers who have put the time in to learn our rigs and build them to compete in our class. Just yeesterday I had a very well known local 2.2 Pro driver telling me, as I drove, that I should do a certain thing with my rig as I drove. I didnt ignore him for any reason other than I knew what my rig would do. His reaction was "Whoa!" as the rig made the line I laid out. My point,,,Im not a novice driver..I am however a Sportsman class driver.

Im not looking for a debate just an informative answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Not to be a smart ass or trying being mean, but isn't that an oxymoron? Really someone that is starting out should get to Nationals? What about all the other drivers that can't make it, should they get to be in the spotlight too some how?

Competing at National level should be for those that are at the top of the game, not those just starting out.
No I dont think its an oxymoron statement if its taken in the context in which its meant, and written as a statement. The Sportsman class is supposed to be a class of rig not a label for the people who drive, at least as far as I read and understood the rules. This is how it was explained to me when I first started out. The Sportsman class rigs are digless 2.2 comp rigs that are limited in ability by the mechanics of the rig itself not the learned skill of the driver. No matter how good you get with a Sportsman rig it wont perform like a 2.2 Pro with Dig,,,kind of a given. That however does not mean the driver has any less skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
Sorry, but SUPERS/Unlimited trucks that had 4ws, dig,etc. are what started crawling. It was far from a stock RTR truck with the basics

RMD- Yes sportsman guys may run at my BGC qualifier, but they have to run with the pros and the same rules and courses. They do not get split up at all
I will be attending as many events this next year as I possibly can that will run a Sportsman class, not just to compete but to also promote the local clubs who support the class. If I am able to attend your event/s I expect to run the same lines as anyone else by the same rules.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Old guy

Here's a informative answer. We all ready have a digless class at the Nationals. 1.9
Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Here's a informative answer. We all ready have a digless class at the Nationals. 1.9
And I would love to replace it with 2.2 sportsman.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
Relaxed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Personally, I would like to see the Sportsman class to stay local and focused on getting new crawlers into our hobby and as a safe place to acquire the driving and tuning skills that will some day allow them to compete in the 2.2 class
i'm 50/50 on this one as at awcc i saw some "sport" driver's that have more than enough "skill" and can "drive",yes it is a safe place for the "new" driver to aquire the knowledge and skill to drive their rig! but for those driver's that are damn good, they should be able to "show off" just as we are able to, but the time and volunteers it takes may be too much for a national caliber event! it is already a week long event for alot of the volunteers and promotor's (good point though)

there are some "sport driver's" that can flat out drive, and what makes having dig or MOA "the best of the best" ? just asking!
You think a sportsman driver is going to spend the money to travel to a national comp to compete?

yes! i have seen them at awcc from the east coast!
this may not be a "national comp" but people come from all over to this comp!

Competing at National level should be for those that are at the top of the game, not those just starting out.[/QUOTE]

who say's the sport driver's are just starting out ?

I will be attending as many events this next year as I possibly can that will run a Sportsman class, not just to compete but to also promote the local clubs who support the class. If I am able to attend your event/s I expect to run the same lines as anyone else by the same rules.[/QUOTE]

hope to see ya on the rocks!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
And I would love to replace it with 2.2 sportsman.
Thats that, things are bigger in Texas think.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

It occurs to me that the 2.2 Pro guys seem to look down on the Sportsman guys for some reason, especially the top guys. I have went MOA and won a local event before with a berg. It was great until the next comp where all I could think about was winning. For the next 3 comps I was so wound up about winning that it was no longer fun. So I went back to the Sportsman class. It is harder to do well without that dig because you have to drive the truck. Yes it is basic, yes the class was intended for beginners. For me its a lot more fun. When I was running a pro truck, I found myself looking down on the sport guys too and shame on me for that!

Should there be a national sport class? I think it would be a good thing. Because I think to be the best of the best, you should have to be able to drive your truck!
Handicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicrawler View Post
It occurs to me that the 2.2 Pro guys seem to look down on the Sportsman guys for some reason, especially the top guys. I have went MOA and won a local event before with a berg. It was great until the next comp where all I could think about was winning. For the next 3 comps I was so wound up about winning that it was no longer fun. So I went back to the Sportsman class. It is harder to do well without that dig because you have to drive the truck. Yes it is basic, yes the class was intended for beginners. For me its a lot more fun. When I was running a pro truck, I found myself looking down on the sport guys too and shame on me for that!

Should there be a national sport class? I think it would be a good thing. Because I think to be the best of the best, you should have to be able to drive your truck!
Dwell much ?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
RCC Addict

One thing I am a little weary of hearing is a version of this phrase...

Quote:
I think it takes more patients and more challenging to drive a nondig rig on a course
Quote:
It is harder to do well without that dig because you have to drive the truck
I hate to tell you but I could hand my son's Sportman rig to anyone and they could do well with it after 30 minutes of screwing around. I am betting that new person could pull 7 out of every 10 lines I can pull even though I know the rig. Now, lets trade rigs and give them 30 minutes with my 2.2 Comp rig. I am betting they could pull maybe 2 or 3 of the lines I pull because now there are 2 more variables to work with. Those variables (front and rear dig) can allow you to do amazing things...if you have the skills and knowledge to use them correctly. If you do not know what you are doing they will kill you.

So to get to my point, 2.2 comp guys that run dig, dual dig, or even proportional front/rear dig are driving their asses off. Lets stop implying they are cheating or it is the dig/moa that is doing all the work. If that were the case, a person new to crawling with an XR10 and normal crawling radio gear should be able to beat every non-dig rig at a comp.

Sorry for the deviation from the thread topic, I do not want this to be considered a hi-jacking of this thread.

Last edited by Eritex Inc.; 11-01-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicrawler View Post
It occurs to me that the 2.2 Pro guys seem to look down on the Sportsman guys for some reason, especially the top guys.

Our top driver, and the 3 time world champ runs both classes.

We have a few good drivers that are building/just built sportsman rigs.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I think some of the confusion/contreversy is coming from the fact that there are actually two different trains of thought on the class. Some people (including myself) view the "Sportsman class" as just a shafty / no dig class. But other folks are thinking of it as a "novice" class. The "Sportsman class" to me is classifying the truck type, but "Novice class" is classifying the drivers.
In my opinion there is a place for Sportsman Class (shafty/no dig) at Nationals.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Relaxed !

1st off not hijacking this thread! just a quick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Our top driver, and the 3 time world champ runs both classes.

but how can u run 2 classes ? only asking because out here we cannot run sport and pro in the same comp! 1 rig 1 class then u can screw around after the courses have closed! we consider it pre running the course! even though it's only the 1st 5 gates for sport!
We have a few good drivers that are building/just built sportsman rigs.

Why? IMO it doesnt help you, it's not the same rig u need to drive to get good with!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote