RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html)

Harley 11-08-2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2729485)
Correct, but if you knock the DT again you will end up with 120, which can be a mild pain.

Kieren

Yes the problem with just adjusting it with the rear mix percentage is that you can end up wasting a lot of time. Like you found, it is more simple to use the push button.

aaugman 11-10-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2728810)
Got mine 3 minutes ago8)8)8) Opinions soon!

Kieren

This might be a stupid Q but are the prompts on the radio in English ? I think i might order one from R2 if they are in english.

Aussie Nerd 11-10-2010 09:17 PM

Yes they are, so is the manual.

Kieren

Harley 11-10-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaugman (Post 2735003)
This might be a stupid Q but are the prompts on the radio in English ? I think i might order one from R2 if they are in english.

The language is selectable "thumbsup"

Harley 11-11-2010 01:02 PM

I'm hearing good things guys :ror:

We don't have anything solid yet but from what I heard today I am very hopeful. I like what they have seen.

When we have the info we will post it. I don't know a date, I don't have anything else I can tell you so any questions you have I won't really anwser at this time. Just thought I would let you guys know that they have listened "thumbsup"

Aussie Nerd 11-11-2010 03:58 PM

Harley there is a servo style connection on the back of the radio somewhere, forget exactly were it is now though, and under it is has 'COM' any chance that a lead could be plug in there and run the radio update through that? I don't want to wait through 4 weeks of shipping alone to send it in, if an update happens.

Kieren

Harley 11-11-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2736493)
Harley there is a servo style connection on the back of the radio somewhere, forget exactly were it is now though, and under it is has 'COM' any chance that a lead could be plug in there and run the radio update through that? I don't want to wait through 4 weeks of shipping alone to send it in, if an update happens.

Kieren

No, any possible updates will be done through Futaba only.

blue devil toyota 11-11-2010 04:12 PM

Harley,

I was going to send you a Pm, but it looks like you don't get them. Can you help me with this? http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/280362-futaba-3pm-x-steering-issue.html

losikid 11-11-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2736493)

Kieren

I bet you could but futaba wont say how or release the firmware out to the public.

Harley 11-11-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 2736610)
I bet you could but futaba wont say how or release the firmware out to the public.

It requires software that a no radio manufacture is just going to release. It's not like any other major radio manufacture does this either.

losikid 11-11-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2736615)
It requires software that a no radio manufacture is just going to release. It's not like any other major radio manufacture does this either.

Yea thats what i meant, futaba won't tell us how or give us the means of doing it. But that is what the port was meant for. Spectrum has ports as well for firmware upgrades and such. The biggest reason for this is so people can't screw up their radios and biggest reason is unlocking the options it can have. I am almost positive that the 4pl has the potential of the 4pk with upgraded firmware. I can take a cheap 80 dollar Chinese air radio and upgrade the firmware and make it as good as (and better than most) all the name brand radios. I am currently working on one of these trying to stuff it into a ground radio. I am not so good with digital stuff i just follow instructions, but i'm sure someone who is a electrical engineer can hack into this and get a hack firmware made up unlocking its full potential.

Harley 11-12-2010 11:50 AM

Actually that port has nothing to do with where the radio is updated. I know you are familiar the basics of how radios actually work, but I think you are far over stepping your knowledge range and making quite a few incorrect assumptions.

The COM port on Futaba radios are used in the MC LINK - ESC Link Function. You can use this to program compatible Futaba ESC's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 2736820)
Yea thats what i meant, futaba won't tell us how or give us the means of doing it. But that is what the port was meant for. Spectrum has ports as well for firmware upgrades and such. The biggest reason for this is so people can't screw up their radios and biggest reason is unlocking the options it can have. I am almost positive that the 4pl has the potential of the 4pk with upgraded firmware. I can take a cheap 80 dollar Chinese air radio and upgrade the firmware and make it as good as (and better than most) all the name brand radios. I am currently working on one of these trying to stuff it into a ground radio. I am not so good with digital stuff i just follow instructions, but i'm sure someone who is a electrical engineer can hack into this and get a hack firmware made up unlocking its full potential.

Aussie Nerd 11-12-2010 05:27 PM

I noticed the COM port was for ESC programming when I was reading the manual the other day. Anychance while they are doing a firmware update, make it work with tekin, so I can adjust settings while crawling? Now that would be cool"thumbsup"

Kieren

Harley 11-12-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd (Post 2738588)
I noticed the COM port was for ESC programming when I was reading the manual the other day. Anychance while they are doing a firmware update, make it work with tekin, so I can adjust settings while crawling? Now that would be cool"thumbsup"

Kieren

Not a chance in hell.

articzap 11-12-2010 06:52 PM

So what's stopping the 4PL from being better then the 4pk? I guess I'm still looking to see the major differences.

Aussie Nerd 11-12-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2738629)
Not a chance in hell.

:ror: I figured as such but we can all dream!

Kieren

Harley 11-13-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by articzap (Post 2738728)
So what's stopping the 4PL from being better then the 4pk? I guess I'm still looking to see the major differences.

There will be very few things the 4PL won't do, but here are some difference:
  • The digs are actuated different (with or without an update).
  • Response time on the FHSS system is slower than the FASST system.
  • 4PL only has one program mix (not including the 4WS or Dual ESC).
  • Wheel and buttons are non-adjustable and you can't use a drop down like the 4PK.
  • 4PL uses 4AA's as opposed to the 4PK requiring 5 cells.
  • RX cost is about half the cost for the 4PL.

There are more, and as I think of them I'll add to the list. Which I will copy to the first post.

Harley 11-13-2010 10:48 AM

I have started to add important post links to the first post of this thread. You can refer anyone who has questions to the first post.

NeroWolfe 11-13-2010 12:36 PM

The standard noob question...

So I have to ask, and I hate to sound needy, but......

I've been in RC since '83, and have amassed an ARMY of radios to use in my 15 or so rigs. I just got the go-ahead from the Commander in Chief (my wife) to upgrade my radio(s). I've read, and read, and read. And I'm glad I waited this long, as this 4PL just might be what I've been looking for.

My question to you, Harley, is in your opinion, do you think this radio will be the best for all my rigs?? I have 6 scale rigs, some on road, 2 monster trucks, 1 comp rig, and some oldies but goodies. I don't run digs or dual esc's (yet) and I don't compete(yet). I primarily run 3speeds, winches, and lights at this point. I know this radio might be overkill for me, but I've ALWAYS had Futaba radios, and love them. The RC4WD 4ch crawler radio is enticing, but I know I'll miss the quality of Futaba.

I want to get down to one or two radios.. if possible, but know very little about these more complicated radios. Thank you for your time.

greenjeeper92 11-13-2010 01:19 PM

whats the differences between 4pl and 3pm other then 3chl and 4 chl? I can run two esc's if need be with the 4pl

aaugman 11-13-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeeper92 (Post 2739724)
whats the differences between 4pl and 3pm other then 3chl and 4 chl? I can run two esc's if need be with the 4pl

If you read this thread it will answer all your questions.

Harley 11-13-2010 02:50 PM

The 4PL should work great for everything you described. It will control all your basic functions and give you some room to play with your scalers. Now you can control winches and 3 speeds at the same time, or lights and winches, etc. The receiver cost on this radio is low which should help you convert to one radio easier. The model memory limit is escaping me right now but may be something you want to look at. The RC4WD radio doesn't even come close to this radio. I would put it far below a TQ4 even. If you have more specific questions I can probably answer them better than something so broad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeroWolfe (Post 2739677)
My question to you, Harley, is in your opinion, do you think this radio will be the best for all my rigs?? I have 6 scale rigs, some on road, 2 monster trucks, 1 comp rig, and some oldies but goodies. I don't run digs or dual esc's (yet) and I don't compete(yet). I primarily run 3speeds, winches, and lights at this point. I know this radio might be overkill for me, but I've ALWAYS had Futaba radios, and love them. The RC4WD 4ch crawler radio is enticing, but I know I'll miss the quality of Futaba.

NeroWolfe 11-13-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2739824)
The 4PL should work great for everything you described. It will control all your basic functions and give you some room to play with your scalers. Now you can control winches and 3 speeds at the same time, or lights and winches, etc. The receiver cost on this radio is low which should help you convert to one radio easier. The model memory limit is escaping me right now but may be something you want to look at. The RC4WD radio doesn't even come close to this radio. I would put it far below a TQ4 even. If you have more specific questions I can probably answer them better than something so broad.

Sounds like my wait is over. :mrgreen: Thanks for the input. Be a curve stepping out of my Old Conquest 4 in my Bruiser! :ror:

Harley 11-13-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeeper92 (Post 2739724)

It's hard to always compare this stuff. The 4PL will give you the 4th channel, only 4AA's, cheaper RX's, special programming for 4WS and dual ESC, etc. You really just have to read the thread and watch the videos. If it appeals to you I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

Harley 11-13-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeroWolfe (Post 2739887)
Sounds like my wait is over. :mrgreen: Thanks for the input. Be a curve stepping out of my Old Conquest 4 in my Bruiser! :ror:

I don't even know what a Conquest is. :lol:

greenjeeper92 11-13-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2739894)
It's hard to always compare this stuff. The 4PL will give you the 4th channel, only 4AA's, cheaper RX's, special programming for 4WS and dual ESC, etc. You really just have to read the thread and watch the videos. If it appeals to you I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

so im debating either two fxrs or one fxr and a punk, my question is is that can i set the 4pl to run the front and rear and different percents that when i switch to front and rear to spin that when i go back to 4ws the percents stay the same?

also the 3pm response time is faster right?

Harley 11-13-2010 04:51 PM

Yes the mix percentages will stay the same. Also the 3PM uses the FASST system which is faster, you won't really notice the difference on a crawler though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeeper92 (Post 2739970)
so im debating either two fxrs or one fxr and a punk, my question is is that can i set the 4pl to run the front and rear and different percents that when i switch to front and rear to spin that when i go back to 4ws the percents stay the same?

also the 3pm response time is faster right?

NeroWolfe 11-13-2010 06:47 PM

Just had to..

Ain't she a Beaut!!!! Can't read the manufacture date, but I see a B.C. in it. :lmao:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=15331

clubby_you 11-16-2010 12:37 AM

will the servo that comes with the 4pl work as a steering servo for my creeper..?
or should i be getting some titanium geared one

cheers doug

greenjeeper92 11-16-2010 06:25 AM

I dont think it comes with a servo

Harley 11-16-2010 07:50 AM

Occasionally there are packages available that will come with a servo. This servo will not have enough power however to be sufficient for a steering servo on a crawler.

dirtworkshw 11-22-2010 10:20 AM

Harley, how long will it last with 4 AA's? Is it possible to use lipo on this radio? I know this radio should be powered with 4 AA's (6V)...but any chance?

Harley 11-22-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtworkshw (Post 2755231)
Harley, how long will it last with 4 AA's? Is it possible to use lipo on this radio? I know this radio should be powered with 4 AA's (6V)...but any chance?

I haven't ran the batteries down yet to be able to tell you. With the difference in voltage a Lipo would not be a smart idea.

duty 11-22-2010 11:10 AM

Any idea of a US release date yet? I know they are available on ebay and other sites from over seas.

dragrcr 11-22-2010 12:08 PM

My lhs was told around the 24th

greenjeeper92 11-22-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragrcr (Post 2755367)
My lhs was told around the 24th

can anyone back this up?

ax-10 crazy 11-22-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2755263)
I haven't ran the batteries down yet to be able to tell you. With the difference in voltage a Lipo would not be a smart idea.

So what about life batteries? They have a lower voltage than lipos.

Harley 11-22-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax-10 crazy (Post 2755549)
So what about life batteries? They have a lower voltage than lipos.

Yes you can select a 2 cell LiFe option within the radio's menu. Futaba has an optional LiFe battery available, the part number is FT2F2100B.

ax-10 crazy 11-22-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley0706 (Post 2755552)
Yes you can select a 2 cell LiFe option within the radio's menu. Futaba has an optional LiFe battery available, the part number is FT2F2100B.

Great, do you know how long that might last either from this radio or another?

Harley 11-22-2010 02:25 PM

No idea what the power consumption of this radio is. No clue how long it will last. I didn't change the batteries when I got this one and I still haven' even noticed the voltage changing.