Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #1621
Pebble Pounder

Hello.
I have 2 Castle Microsidewinder and I would like to use them with my 4PL and my XR10 but I have some question, please could you help me?????
Could I connect directly one ESC to the receptor (with the 3 wires) and the other to the 3th channel with only 2 wires (black and yellow, no positive wire) so that can I suppress the bec to the receptor? I would like to use my BEC for my servo!! And can I feed the receptor with 7.5v (the same BEC for the servo 7,5 V and for the receptor, my car run 3S)?

Thank you
carcueza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #1622
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcueza View Post
Hello.
I have 2 Castle Microsidewinder and I would like to use them with my 4PL and my XR10 but I have some question, please could you help me?????
Could I connect directly one ESC to the receptor (with the 3 wires) and the other to the 3th channel with only 2 wires (black and yellow, no positive wire) so that can I suppress the bec to the receptor? I would like to use my BEC for my servo!! And can I feed the receptor with 7.5v (the same BEC for the servo 7,5 V and for the receptor, my car run 3S)?

Thank you
I replied in your other thread. You description here is different than your drawing in the other thread.

Other thread..... Doble ESC diagram?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #1623
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcueza View Post
Hello.

Thank you
If you run your BEC direct to your servo then you can run it that way. Actually if you run the BEC direct you can leave the red wire plugged in on both ESC's because they have the same voltage output.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #1624
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
If you run your BEC direct to your servo then you can run it that way. Actually if you run the BEC direct you can leave the red wire plugged in on both ESC's because they have the same voltage output.
Hmmmm.....even though both ESC's have the same BEC output, I've always read to only use one when running dual ESC's.

I ALWAYS run my external BEC direct to the servo, it rules out what the RX can/can't handle in terms of voltage/load.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #1625
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Hmmmm.....even though both ESC's have the same BEC output, I've always read to only use one when running dual ESC's.

I ALWAYS run my external BEC direct to the servo, it rules out what the RX can/can't handle in terms of voltage/load.
Well read it or not, it isn't needed.

I always run through my RX with single servo setups. The RX's have no issue with the voltage or amperage.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #1626
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well read it or not, it isn't needed.

I always run through my RX with single servo setups. The RX's have no issue with the voltage or amperage.
Fine, not arguing, just saying (on 1 or 2 ESC's feeding the RX).
Old 11-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1627
Rock Crawler

I just bought a second RX so I can use my 4PL with my scaler and it is loosing bind or signal every so often. The green light is going to red for a second. I can't seem to make it happen. it's quite random. Does this sound like a bad RX? I have re bound with no change. The RX is a R2104GF.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #1628
Pebble Pounder

WOW, I read this entire thread today and I feel I can answer any 4PL question...and I don't even have a 4PL...yet. ;)

I was looking at getting a multi-channel radio to control my XR10 and to use with planes this morning so I was leaning towards a stick radio like the Futaba 6J. However, in reading this thread I have been convinced to buy a 4PL, which I had never even considered before. Being able to purchase compatible rx units for under $35 (R2106GF) will allow me to use this radio with my Axial Wraith, Axial AX10 and a half-dozen other cars and trucks I have in my collection as well. Heck I can finally retire my old favorite 3PB and run my 1/12th scale glitch-free!

Thanks Harley, JDawg and all the others who chimed-in with helpful knowledge. You all made (and continue to make) this thread invaluable.

Sean
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #1629
20K Club

Thanks for reading Sean. Hope it all clicks when you get one. It's a great radio.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #1630
RCC Addict

Default Throttle?

My trigger seems a little sinsitive for my liking, were do I adjust to have more pull on the trigger before it gets to full speed?
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #1631
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
My trigger seems a little sinsitive for my liking, were do I adjust to have more pull on the trigger before it gets to full speed?
Full speed is at the end of the trigger throw, not really away to adjust a physical end point.

You can add expo to your throttle curves if you want.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #1632
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
WOW, I read this entire thread today and I feel I can answer any 4PL question...and I don't even have a 4PL...yet. ;)

I was looking at getting a multi-channel radio to control my XR10 and to use with planes this morning so I was leaning towards a stick radio like the Futaba 6J. However, in reading this thread I have been convinced to buy a 4PL, which I had never even considered before. Being able to purchase compatible rx units for under $35 (R2106GF) will allow me to use this radio with my Axial Wraith, Axial AX10 and a half-dozen other cars and trucks I have in my collection as well. Heck I can finally retire my old favorite 3PB and run my 1/12th scale glitch-free!

Thanks Harley, JDawg and all the others who chimed-in with helpful knowledge. You all made (and continue to make) this thread invaluable.

Sean
You do know that you CAN NOT use a "Surface" designated radio to control a plane and you likewise CAN NOT use an "Air" designated radio to control a car, truck, crawler or boat, don't you? It is illegal and could cause great injury or possibly death depending on the circumstances. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

The 4PL would be a good choice for your crawler or any other vehicle that stays on the ground. It's very good bang for the buck.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #1633
Yashua

Harley, a quick (and i hope easy) question. I have dig set up on dt-2.rear is down front is up. How would i reverse that? Could i just swap esc plugs at the rx or is it done a differant way? Thanks, robert
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #1634
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Harley, a quick (and i hope easy) question. I have dig set up on dt-2.rear is down front is up. How would i reverse that? Could i just swap esc plugs at the rx or is it done a differant way? Thanks, robert
Go to the dial menu, on the far right of the DT2 line it will say NOR or REV. Just change that to the opposite of what it is.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #1635
Yashua

Quote:
Go to the dial menu, on the far right of the DT2 line it will say NOR or REV. Just change that to the opposite of what it is.
THANK YOU ,,,,,,,,,,,,,AHHH EASY .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #1636
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
You do know that you CAN NOT use a "Surface" designated radio to control a plane and you likewise CAN NOT use an "Air" designated radio to control a car, truck, crawler or boat, don't you? It is illegal and could cause great injury or possibly death depending on the circumstances. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Actually, that does not apply to radios operating at 2.4Ghz. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier statement so I will elaborate. The "air" system I was looking at was a 2.4Ghz radio. All 2.4Ghz radios can be used for surface or air models. According to the FCC you can even use it in rockets, hovercraft and robots. But thank you for your concern nonetheless.

Technically speaking, the only radios that are legally restricted are 72Mhz for air and 75Mhz for surface. There are other bands available but they are combined and/or licensed. (27, 49, 50 and 53 Mhz)

Just wanted to make sure you to knew that.

For further information please refer to the AMA website at Academy of Model Aeronautics for the US frequency chart and at the MAAC website at Model Aeronautics Association of Canada for the Canadian frequency chart.

Sean
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #1637
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You probably need to change your servo mode from High speed to normal.
How do I set this on the 4PL?
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #1638
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
How do I set this on the 4PL?
It's at the bottom of the model display screen. The very bottom says RX Mode, the response type is either NORM or HIGH.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #1639
Quarry Creeper

Was set as Normal.

Seems the common ground might still be a good idea sometimes.
Recently redid the ESC's to dual FXR's and did the commen ground from the onset.
Worked out perfectly.

Kind Regards
Rudolf
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #1640
RCC Addict

Default Throttle epo.?

Ok, I am trying to adjust my throttle expo., but when I do it only affects my esc running the front axle. I can't figure out how to set both the esc's the same. Any advice would be great.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM