Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazr View Post
I contacted CC last week and still haven't received any news. I dropped them another email yesterday.

After trying the drag brake at 50% it seemed to be better , but once i really tried on my usual crawling spot, it appeared that it made no difference with the 213% one. The esc heated fast , glitched and cut.
Call them dude. I get someone every time I call and an answer to my problem usually.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #22
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
I run a 7t puller, with a 3 cell,
That could be your problem right there. How are your motor temps? Pullers are amp hungry, especially so for the low wind units. How long are your run times? What gearing?

Revolvers are completely different animals. You can't compare them with Pullers.

I ran a 5t on 3s for a while in my comp rig. If I played around for more than 15 minutes or so, everything was hot.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
That could be your problem right there. How are your motor temps? Pullers are amp hungry, especially so for the low wind units. How long are your run times? What gearing?

Revolvers are completely different animals. You can't compare them with Pullers.

I ran a 5t on 3s for a while in my comp rig. If I played around for more than 15 minutes or so, everything was hot.
I'm well aware revolvers are different than pullers, but when the motor is room temp, and the esc thermals, there is a problem somewhere.

I ran a 7t puller on a mamba max and neither got hot. Talking to holmes, he is saying there should be no problems.

I'm running a 13/90. Gear down, volt up. I also tried my 55t and 35t motors and got the same thing.

Run time is less than 5 min due to heat shutting down the esc.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #24

I'm the
Quote:
crawling mate
, my friend got rid of this problem by putting a mamba max to replace his SV2 ...

But it doesn't change anything to the fact that both my SV2 and my SCT still can't cope more than 5 minutes with a 3s on stock Cr01 pinions and a tamiya 35t .

After 4 emails and nearly 4 months without any answer from castle creations, i wonder what can be done to solve this problem.

Both my SV2 and Sidewinder Sct run the latest firmwares, i switched to traxxas plugs, got a BEC as well, tried every setting available with the castlelink but nothing has worked so far.

My rig is pretty dialed at the moment and i'd really like to be able to run this setup on 3S, can't believe that those ESC being rated for 3S just doesn't work the way they are intended to .

Thanks for your help.
farfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfab View Post
I'm the , my friend got rid of this problem by putting a mamba max to replace his SV2 ...

But it doesn't change anything to the fact that both my SV2 and my SCT still can't cope more than 5 minutes with a 3s on stock Cr01 pinions and a tamiya 35t .

After 4 emails and nearly 4 months without any answer from castle creations, i wonder what can be done to solve this problem.

Both my SV2 and Sidewinder Sct run the latest firmwares, i switched to traxxas plugs, got a BEC as well, tried every setting available with the castlelink but nothing has worked so far.

My rig is pretty dialed at the moment and i'd really like to be able to run this setup on 3S, can't believe that those ESC being rated for 3S just doesn't work the way they are intended to .

Thanks for your help.
The only thing i can think of are there is svered binding somewhere in the driveline (beyond the pinion/spur mesh), the gearing is too high (numerically small), too heavy a vehicle, and maybe the wrong kind of throttle profile (i.e too steep a curve to WOT).

For Jester Spec, a 7t puller probably shouldn't be run at 3s as it is recommended usage is 2s on HH website. That said, if the motor gets near 120*, you are running too hot, risk burning your motor, and due to the motor running hot (by drawing so many amps) the result will be your esc running hot (due to the increased load).

And today, I noticed something (I like using parantheses)
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I am NOT a fan of the SV2 at all after the BS I went through with 3 different esc's.. They wouldn't work properly with 3s lipo.. Kept losing power and fading badly.. Never got hot enough to thermal like yours is though. Anyhow.....

Don't waste your time with emails, I learned this quickly. You need to call them. That's the only way you're going to get ahold of Castle in my experience.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
The only thing i can think of are there is svered binding somewhere in the driveline (beyond the pinion/spur mesh), the gearing is too high (numerically small), too heavy a vehicle, and maybe the wrong kind of throttle profile (i.e too steep a curve to WOT).

For Jester Spec, a 7t puller probably shouldn't be run at 3s as it is recommended usage is 2s on HH website. That said, if the motor gets near 120*, you are running too hot, risk burning your motor, and due to the motor running hot (by drawing so many amps) the result will be your esc running hot (due to the increased load).

And today, I noticed something (I like using parantheses)
So I guess you really didn't read any of the posts on here did you or you would have read what I just posted AGAIN.

How about when it shuts down on a 55t reedy, or a 35t brood? The SV2's are junk.

Just
so h to clear it up, the 7t puller was cool to the touch, the sv2 was VERY hot. I talked to both Castle and JH and they both said that even with the SV2 on 3cell it should be ok.

I was also told that when the ESC thermals, it woln't re-arm for 15 min. That is a bunch of bull.

Last edited by JesterSpec; 07-22-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
So I guess you really didn't read any of the posts on here did you or you would have read what I just posted AGAIN.

How about when it shuts down on a 55t reedy, or a 35t brood? The SV2's are junk.

Just
so h to clear it up, the 7t puller was cool to the touch, the sv2 was VERY hot. I talked to both Castle and JH and they both said that even with the SV2 on 3cell it should be ok.

I was also told that when the ESC thermals, it woln't re-arm for 15 min. That is a bunch of bull.
Read? What's that?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #29
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The AX10 should be fine on 3s for at least an hour of crawling a 45t motor. Beyond that, I don't doubt it is heating up. The higher the temp of the ESC, the more resistance. The more resistance, the more the heat will build up.

The CC01 has low geardown if I recall correctly, and that will cause a lot of heat in all the components no matter what.

Can you gear down any further? The SV2 isn't that bad of an ESC, it just doesn't take well to hours and hours of crawling without warming up.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

I had the same problem with a v2 in my XR10.
I called Castle and they told me the Sidewinder isn't meant to run 2 45t motors with drag brake. They said to use a Mamba if i was going to use just one ESC.
I eventualy just went with dual BRXLs and glad that I did.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Just

My son is running dual SV2's with 35T Br00ds on a 2.2 bully & 3S with no issues. His is a ~7lb rig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
My son is running dual SV2's with 35T Br00ds on a 2.2 bully & 3S with no issues. His is a ~7lb rig.
I'm running a single motor 11 lb rig with very low gearing.

When I called them, they were no help at all. I offered to send it in, they said without knowing what is wrong with it, then not to send it in... I guess with my description, they could do their job and actually troubleshoot it. I guess I'm supposed to be the electronics guru.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Add my name to the list of people who are pissed off with the V2 . I have 4 of the old CC SW's, never had one thermo on me. The V2 gets super hot and shuts down. I swapped out the V2 with an original Sidewinder, same motor, gearing, battery, ect and ran it for hours without an issue. WTF? Bring back the old version!
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #34
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Add my name to the list of people who are pissed off with the V2 . I have 4 of the old CC SW's, never had one thermo on me. The V2 gets super hot and shuts down. I swapped out the V2 with an original Sidewinder, same motor, gearing, battery, ect and ran it for hours without an issue. WTF? Bring back the old version!
Amen to that! I love my old Sidewinder and would've bought two or three more by now but nooo they needed to *improve* it.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #35
RCC Addict

In my opinion, it didn't need "improving", I think their profit margin was the only thing that improved. I strongly suggest that Castle makes this right with their customers, before their profits fail as badly as the V2.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

So I was having the same problem (3s, Sidewinder, 35t, 93/12 gearing on an ax10) so I searched and found this thread.

This is such BS, I bought this ESC because I have heard so much good things about castle. And now I find out that its a piece of shit

What is castle doing about these? Are they going to refund or exchange these out?
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Isn't there a saying in racing, esc hot/motor cool, gearing to low and esc cool /motor hot gearing to high?

For those of you running low gearing and faster motors(35t +), are you crawling for most of the time or half throttle plus? I wonder if this might be the difference.

My old sidewinder would get very hot w a 27t and low gearing. Just a thought, though it does seem the V2's are having issues.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Isn't there a saying in racing, esc hot/motor cool, gearing to low and esc cool /motor hot gearing to high?

For those of you running low gearing and faster motors(35t +), are you crawling for most of the time or half throttle plus? I wonder if this might be the difference.

My old sidewinder would get very hot w a 27t and low gearing. Just a thought, though it does seem the V2's are having issues.
I had the exact same problem in my scx10 with stock gearing and a 27t.

It overheats weather I'm crawling or peeling out.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I know most 27t spec motors have alot of timing which is a big contributor to the heat. It did run like a raped ape though
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I dont know what to do now, I was gonna go crawling this weekend and this is my only esc. I am scared to buy a new one and get screwed again