Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghetto_rig View Post
Sounds like you guys are overheating, never mind your ESC's..
lol..I'm not overheating..but that other guy seems to be.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Its that you came in here bashing HH's brxl also. SV2 vs a BRXL... Seems like the SV2 is the topic of the thread.

The common theme here is that the SV2 works correctly in brushless on all units. Some units thermal out in brushed on 3 cell no mater what battery or motor.

Has anyone actually gotten theirs fixed from castle and gotten word why this is happening?
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
Its that you came in here bashing HH's brxl also. SV2 vs a BRXL... Seems like the SV2 is the topic of the thread.

The common theme here is that the SV2 works correctly in brushless on all units. Some units thermal out in brushed on 3 cell no mater what battery or motor.

Has anyone actually gotten theirs fixed from castle and gotten word why this is happening?
I didnt bash the BRXL..I use them in all of my rigs now.
I also have an SV2 with an overheating issue..Please read before you attack people. You're a very mouthy individual.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #84
RCC Addict

I took it as you were batching them together in the same lot.

and yes, I am mouthy.

So did castle replace your SV2, or did they sell you another BRXL
Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I took it as you were batching them together in the same lot.

and yes, I am mouthy.

So did castle replace your SV2, or did they sell you another BRXL
No, they told me I should try the Mamba Max..That's when I started buying BRXLs for all my rigs. At that time I was using all sidewinders. The old ones were good, the new one is not quite as good for me.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #86
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I do hire Castle for the manufacturing, specifically the board assembly. I design, they have the million dollar machines to make. Best pick and place facility in the USA for SMT power electronics, I wouldn't hire anyone else. They also have the patents on USB programming of R/C controllers, so instead of developing my own and paying them fees I just decided to roll into their software suite for the time being. As you may have noticed, once I hopped onto the C-link software other companies started doing the same. This actually works out well for me. I can spend my time building motors while they manufacture the PCBs that control them.

As to the similarities between the BRXL and the SV2, they share a plastic case and heat sink. That is as far as it goes really, all the internals and programming are worlds apart.

As to the issues that the SV2 is having, I can't comment on what is causing them but I have some ideas. SV2 has a much better board layout than the first gen, so it should do better physically. Lower inductance, lower resistance, better FETs. It should be performing better, but there is something going on. Maybe a little issue in the code, or more likely a component that is not performing to spec. Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack, it will be difficult to pinpoint where the issue is actually coming from.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the details.
You read this JesterSpec..?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #88
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack, it will be difficult to pinpoint where the issue is actually coming from.
And that would be why they asked the OP to help them do some troubleshooting.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
Thanks for the details.
You read this JesterSpec..?

I bow to you...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I bow to you...
...A simple sorry for the rude things you said to me would be fine but I'm guessing your way too young and way too immature for that.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Whatever you say must be true. Way to young to have served in the Marines to protect your freedom to call me way to young and immature. (Try another attack procedure)

I am not sorry for anything I said. I acknowledge that your right, and I'm moving on
Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I dealt With Joe at castle for close to a month and went through a ton of units troubleshooting. I sent in my truck even. I ended up taking a couple other controllers for the time being and gave up on the sv2 and sct controllers for now. The thoughts from castle as to the problem is it is a small component of the unit somewhere. They said it is something very small causing the issue such as an out of value resistor or fet. Has anyone with these problems contacted him like I originally recommended? And not just castle tech in general make sure you get Joe Ford as he is the one that has experience with the issue and the others will just run you around.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Whatever you say must be true. Way to young to have served in the Marines to protect your freedom to call me way to young and immature. (Try another attack procedure)

I am not sorry for anything I said. I acknowledge that your right, and I'm moving on
I doubt the Marines taught you to be so disrespectful..But since you say you're a Marine you can be dick to whoever you want?...Screw you buddy.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

You guys should move your disagreement to pms or something and keep this thread open and useful for the masses. With all the arguing the thread is going to become pages deep and all the useful info will be lost in a bunch of banter. I can see where and why you are both upset but should use that energy to solve our problem and not attack each other.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Anyone hear anything from castle? I emailed them last week about this and havn't heard anything back.
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Penetration Fab. View Post
Anyone hear anything from castle? I emailed them last week about this and havn't heard anything back.
So I got an email from them right after I posted this,

Jeff,
The SV2 should not have a problem with the 35T motor in your rig, it should be running very smooth with no heat issues. You do have a one year warranty on all of Castle's products, I invite you to send in the SV2 for a replacement unit. Simply fill out the warranty repair forms on our website, print off the confirmation at the end and include it and a copy of your receipt when you send it in.

If you have any further questions, please e-mail or call the Tech Support line below.

Sounds like they are standing behind their product.

I am just worried that I may have the same problem if it isn't an updated unit. But I am trying to be optimistic
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #97
Official Cook of the ECC

I see guys in here trying to blame it on C rating, gearing, motor choice, etc.

Fact of the matter is that some of these SV2 and SCT esc's have issues. Local guy here had the same problems.

The fact that you can have an overheating issue and substitute a lesser power V1 Sidewinder in place of the V2 and with NO OTHER CHANGES and have absolutely no overheating issues proves it.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #98
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

Reviving a 2 1/2 year old thread!!! I came across this thread when googling "run Sv2 with 3s brushed?" Can anyone comment as to if they are having these same issues still as were happening a this time? I just got a Castle Sv2 back from Castle under warranty so it I think left their manufacturing facility under 3 months ago, are people still burning up with 3s on brushed? I wanted to use this ESC with a Integy 45t in a scaler I have, but its still brand new without battery ends soldered, I will just sell this ESC and buy a FXR if people are still having issues with them, thanks in advance!
matt889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #99
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

anyone comment? Anyone having issues or are they now resolved?
matt889 is offline   Reply With Quote