Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

If your stll running the 27t, just cut the tab on the end bell and back the timing off 12° or so. If its not one of those flat sided cans.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
If your stll running the 27t, just cut the tab on the end bell and back the timing off 12° or so. If its not one of those flat sided cans.
that woln't make much diff.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I'm running a 35t it should work just fine, it sounds like the just f'd the pooch on the v2.
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Well you definitely aren't the only one having problems. I tried 6 different controllers for my moa (sv2) and they all did the same thing as the rest describe. I can put in other speedo combos and the issue goes away. Also I can take the speedo in question and put it in other vehicles and it will o the same thing. I have been working with a very helpful gentleman there named Joe Ford. I recommend if you are having problems also to contact him and let him know. They are semi aware of the problems and are working on a solution for us. Here are a couple other threads with the same issue

Opinion on dual Sidewinders for XR10

Electronic problem
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Is the motor hot as well or just the ESC? Try dropping a couple teeth on your pinion if the motor isnt hot, that may help reduce temps at the ESC.

I am running the Sidewinder V2 with the same gearing you are but I am running a 1.9 scaler so its a bit different. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the sidewinder isnt really up to comp crawling specs. In my opinion it is much better suited for scale trail running and crawling (not ttc or anything like that). My esc gets good and warm but I have yet to have it get super hot. For comp crawling its really hard to beat the FXR as far as both size/weight and performance, the price isnt that much more than a sidewinder v2.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Is the motor hot as well or just the ESC? Try dropping a couple teeth on your pinion if the motor isnt hot, that may help reduce temps at the ESC.

I am running the Sidewinder V2 with the same gearing you are but I am running a 1.9 scaler so its a bit different. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the sidewinder isnt really up to comp crawling specs. In my opinion it is much better suited for scale trail running and crawling (not ttc or anything like that). My esc gets good and warm but I have yet to have it get super hot. For comp crawling its really hard to beat the FXR as far as both size/weight and performance, the price isnt that much more than a sidewinder v2.
I said f it and went and bought the HH brxl, and TRIED to get it hot, couldn't do it. The v2 is a pos, they should've rated it for 3s if it couldn't handle it. I actually had a OLD OLD super rooster with the same setup, and it worked fine until I dunked it in a creek.
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Well I understand everyone frustration, their specs should probably be altered to reflect the issues with hard running on 3s.

At the same time you cant buy their entry level esc and think that it will perform as well as higher end (and higher cost) esc's.

Has anyone thought of/tried putting a fan on it?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:

At the same time you cant buy their entry level esc and think that it will perform as well as higher end (and higher cost) esc's.
Why not?
The original Sidewinder worked just fine.
This new version is not as good. Castle cheapened the SV2 on us.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:

Wow, way off base. I pulled my sv2 off and borrowed a friends sidewinder v1. Ran that esc the same way I ran the v2. It never got hot. Never failed.

Everyone reading this, save your money and get an fxr or br-xl or if you can find an old v1 scoop that up and use it.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I understand everyone frustration, their specs should probably be altered to reflect the issues with hard running on 3s.

Has anyone thought of/tried putting a fan on it?
there is no problem running on 3 and even 4s when they are working properly. The sidewinder series has been a longstanding work horse for years. with the introduction of the sv2 and sct (same unit different sticker) a small percent are having an issue not every unit. I have tried out about a dozen now and 8 of 12 have not liked to run the brushed motors. They run fine with brushless its just the brushed portion of a selected group are not working right. Castle knows about it and they are working to get it right. If you guys are having problems you really need to contact castle and work with them. They were very good to me even after being kinda pissy in the beginning
Old 09-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
there is no problem running on 3 and even 4s when they are working properly. The sidewinder series has been a longstanding work horse for years. with the introduction of the sv2 and sct (same unit different sticker) a small percent are having an issue not every unit. I have tried out about a dozen now and 8 of 12 have not liked to run the brushed motors. They run fine with brushless its just the brushed portion of a selected group are not working right. Castle knows about it and they are working to get it right. If you guys are having problems you really need to contact castle and work with them. They were very good to me even after being kinda pissy in the beginning
+1, my son is running dual SCT's each with a Br00d 35T brushed on them @ 3S 35C 1350's. No issues at all, guess we got some "good ones". We both comp as well as practice time, they work well thus far (several months).
We do run CC 10A BEC's.

I wonder if the "problem" ESC's were fed 20C packs???
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I wonder if the "problem" ESC's were fed 20C packs???
I run nothing but 20c packs on all my esc's... Try again.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
I run nothing but 20c packs on all my esc's... Try again.
Ummm...my statement was steered towards that "maybe" the V2's/SCT's have an issue with lower "C" packs (like below 35C).

Since our house runs 35C+, maybe that is part of why we have no issues.
Then again, maybe we have a "good" batch.

You seem to support my theory, not dispel it.

Your turn......
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Sooo, If an SV1 can run my lipo's, I would think that they sv2 should do it better.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummm...my statement was steered towards that "maybe" the V2's/SCT's have an issue with lower "C" packs (like below 35C).

Since our house runs 35C+, maybe that is part of why we have no issues.
Then again, maybe we have a "good" batch.

You seem to support my theory, not dispel it.

Your turn......
I have though. I have tried some really high power packs and low power like some little gen ace ones all with the same result
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
Why not?
The original Sidewinder worked just fine.
This new version is not as good. Castle cheapened the SV2 on us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
Wow, way off base. I pulled my sv2 off and borrowed a friends sidewinder v1. Ran that esc the same way I ran the v2. It never got hot. Never failed.

Everyone reading this, save your money and get an fxr or br-xl or if you can find an old v1 scoop that up and use it.
Guys all I am saying is that you cant compare a $60 Sidewinder to a $100 BR-XL or $85 FXR. Should it work as advertised...Yes of course it should. Throwing a $5 fan on it to see if that would keep it cool seems like it would be worth trying.

I have two of them I am running on two 1.9 scalers and I havent had a problem with them running 3s for a couple hours at a time. The esc does get hot but not hot enough to thermal.

Call Castle and see if they can help troubleshoot it or replace it if that is necessary.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Jester & highland, I'm just trying to see if we, as a community, can add to the troubleshooting.
One step is what "C" rating the ESC's are seeing, NOT what worked on a different version of the ESC.

As I stated, maybe we have a "decent" batch, or, maybe it is dependent on other factors.

If you know the issue (in fact, not your "idea") than put it forth. Otherwise, yes there is an issue that is unresolved but guessed at.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #58
RCC Addict

What I got as a fact, was blown off by castle. That is what has me peeved.

I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm not going to troubleshoot a piece of equipment that there shouldn't be anything wrong with, and this is what castle wanted me to do. I told them what it kept doing, I told them everything that I knew, they wanted me to reinstall it, and continue to run it and try different things. I'm not going to do that... I'd rather buy something that works instead of trying to fix someone elses problem. I want them to figure out what the hell is wrong with it, and I suggested that. They answered, "we wouldn't know where to look"... Hmm. and I would?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #59
RCC Addict

I have to say, that's a piss poor answer . I had an SV2 thermo in less than ten minutes in a 1.9 scaler. When I installed an SV1 in the same rig and changed nothing else, the problem disappeared...
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I would be that it just isnt up to the power of the 7t puller. Holmes lists 45a continuous for 3s and the sidewinder is rated at 55a continuous full throttle operation with airflow and a 19t limit. Check it out here:https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bxz...thkey=CLGkkq0B

Since our top speeds arent very high we probably dont have the airflow hence the overheating. Try a fan, I think that will do the trick. A ton of guys with the SCT version have to put fans on them to keep them from overheating, probably a similar situation here.

For compariason a BR-XL is rated 80a continuous with no 540 motor limit.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 09-17-2011 at 08:47 PM.