Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Timbuk2 Brushless Rock Crawling ESC!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default wow

I just happened upon this, damn you guys need to get a different hobby. Oh hang on you found the perfect one, complaining...the same fate as Integy, when did Novak start making cheap copies of ripped off junk. These guys have been in this game longer than most of you have been alive. I read through your posts and half of you can't even spell, but yet since you had an issue, you decided you should spout off at the mouth and throw an "Adult Fit" on the internet. I have never been denied a complete replacement just by shipping it in, and being a little bit calm. You can tell the people who never had a Super Rooster, it is tough when you need so much out of so little and sometimes things do have issues, RX8, Monster Mamba, I think you get my point. For the record, keep pushing the envelope, some of us appreciate it.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #62
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
...the same fate as Integy, when did Novak start making cheap copies of ripped off junk. These guys have been in this game longer than most of you have been alive.
I was refering to the fact that comparatively few people use Integy products. I did not mean to say Novak makes cheap junk.

There are more than a few of us are quite aware of Novak's history and reputation, and I think its why some of us are a bit disappointed in their latest offering. We also understand that it is not a crawler specific item, but its limitations are what have turned us off to it. Spec wise it doesn't stand very tall beside other manufacturers offerings.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I was refering to the fact that comparatively few people use Integy products. I did not mean to say Novak makes cheap junk.

There are more than a few of us are quite aware of Novak's history and reputation, and I think its why some of us are a bit disappointed in their latest offering. We also understand that it is not a crawler specific item, but its limitations are what have turned us off to it. Spec wise it doesn't stand very tall beside other manufacturers offerings.
And that is exactly what I believe everyone is thinking, we aren't saying they're crap, we are saying there needy stuff is crap for crawling....
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
I just happened upon this, damn you guys need to get a different hobby. Oh hang on you found the perfect one, complaining...the same fate as Integy, when did Novak start making cheap copies of ripped off junk. These guys have been in this game longer than most of you have been alive. I read through your posts and half of you can't even spell, but yet since you had an issue, you decided you should spout off at the mouth and throw an "Adult Fit" on the internet. I have never been denied a complete replacement just by shipping it in, and being a little bit calm. You can tell the people who never had a Super Rooster, it is tough when you need so much out of so little and sometimes things do have issues, RX8, Monster Mamba, I think you get my point. For the record, keep pushing the envelope, some of us appreciate it.
I believe you haven't actually read through the posts because if you did, you would see that more than of these post have been about not making a proper crawler esc and why they would make it 2s when most have converted to 3s or higher. Or how they tried to explain that a 2amp bec would be sufficient enough when we all know it's not. We are posting about how they haven't bothered to listen to what the general crawler needs are.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #65
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Sorry you've had problems. Shoot me an email and we'll get the replacment started.

Thanks again!
Charlie
csuangka@teamnovak.com
Hey Chuck, I appreciate your willingness to help me out. You're a good sport for taking on everyone's opinions and the lashings. I will shoot off an email.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
I believe you haven't actually read through the posts because if you did, you would see that more than of these post have been about not making a proper crawler esc and why they would make it 2s when most have converted to 3s or higher. Or how they tried to explain that a 2amp bec would be sufficient enough when we all know it's not. We are posting about how they haven't bothered to listen to what the general crawler needs are.
the brushless motors are fast enough for 2s
and the most crawler servos can be powered by a 2s lipo , there is no need for a high power internal bec
the esc is smaller than the goat and weight is the half of the goat
may be a good one if it works as it should

i havnt had any problems with my old goats
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #67
RCC Addict

I think this shellacking has more to do more with marketing then the specs of this one product. It is what it is and I'm sure it will work well for many people out there. What Charlie needs to take away from this is not that everyone thinks this product sucks but that Novak has yet to prove itself in this market. You can't roll out products like it's a rock concert. What I mean by that is you should start with the main event and release the opening acts afterwards as cheaper alternatives. This is an opening act and it got bashed because people have yet to see the main event. If you guys are serious about getting into crawling then make an esc that even the most hardcore driver will like or at least respect. Then products like this will get seen for what they are and not what they could be.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
I think this shellacking has more to do more with marketing then the specs of this one product. It is what it is and I'm sure it will work well for many people out there. What Charlie needs to take away from this is not that everyone thinks this product sucks but that Novak has yet to prove itself in this market. You can't roll out products like it's a rock concert. What I mean by that is you should start with the main event and release the opening acts afterwards as cheaper alternatives. This is an opening act and it got bashed because people have yet to see the main event. If you guys are serious about getting into crawling then make an esc that even the most hardcore driver will like or at least respect. Then products like this will get seen for what they are and not what they could be.
Well said.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #69
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
the brushless motors are fast enough for 2s
and the most crawler servos can be powered by a 2s lipo , there is no need for a high power internal bec
the esc is smaller than the goat and weight is the half of the goat
may be a good one if it works as it should

i havnt had any problems with my old goats
It all kind of makes sense when you say it that way.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #70
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
It all kind of makes sense when you say it that way.
I have to agree, after EGRESSor explained it like he did it seems like it could work very well for some applications (brushless scaler with high mah 2s for long trail days) could work for some people, just no one thinks about not using a BEC and direct wiring the servo's to the battery.

I have to say Charlie you have been a great sport, you keep coming back to this thread to check up on comments and feedback, way to go buddy
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:

OK, here is a question for you. Which one was covered under a warranty repair, and which was not covered because it has "physical damage". Both were within the factory warranty. One was almost a year old, one was about 6 weeks old.

Castle ESC. Picture tells the story.

Novak esc about 6 weeks old. It just quit working.

Well Castle sent me a new esc, no questions asked. Novak sent me a bill to exchange my 6 week old esc for a new one. A bill that was about $10 less than I payed for the Mamba Max pro that replaced it.

I did like the Novak 550 motor that came with the esc in question. Except the rotor slid on the shaft and broke. I would have sent it in, but I figured why waste the postage. They would have probably said because it has power through it there was no coverage. I think Novak only covers their shit as longas it does not leave the box it was shipped in.

Novak lost me as a customer. I am not rich, but my experience with Castle has rewarded them with my business. I currently have 8 castle esc's, and have 2 more in my Amain shopping cart for my next build.

I applaud the Novak guys attempt to help out in this forum. But the fact is the quality of their product leaves allot to be desired.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Hey Violator, I can help you out. Send me an email, we'll get started. I imagine there was some sort of mix up. If the ESC was only 6 weeks old, and had a "Defect", and this information was "provided" with the item returned, we would normally do a basic warranty inspection. I don't know enough about this to proceed here, so I'll wait for your email with your info.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I like them almost as much as I like the bashing comments!

In the end, we'll make stuff that some guys like and some guys don't, I'm just taken back by the attacking that happens on this form, and the fact that Novak paid this forum some $ get this privelage. Thanks again guys! We'll keep rolling with the punches, keep throwing them, input is welcome. I actually do share all of this with the owners and our design team members. We'll get to where you want us to be some day. I'm sure. I joke around here to keep my sanity. I assure you all, we are working on more stuff.

Now that a few of you have been kind enough to kick us in the teeth and tell us how to do our business, we'll try to migrate towards what you guys are asking for. Honestly, Thank you. I can't promise it will happen with the next product, or even the one after that, or one a year from now to be honest. There's a lot more to making an product then doing a wish list and making it happen. I used to think it was that easy, but 10 years later, here I am.

Happy Bashing!

woops, forgot my email in case you guys didn't have it.

csuangka@teamnovak.com

Last edited by Charlie; 10-04-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Since we're all in such a helpful mood here's my Ultimate ESC for the wish list list....

Small
Built in Switching BEC
Universal Input Voltage
Runs anything

Right?

Or maybe it's this one:

Small
No BEC
3S input.

I've been told only Newb's run BL so, this can be a Brushed Motor ESC early on right? Later if this sticks, we can try a BL version. But we don't want to upset anyone by offering another BL system. Then the BL system will have this same stuff, and the option to run Brushed and BL motors?

I think this conversation on this forum has been had many many many times no? So if i'm missing the boat, please slap me in the head with it. We apparently need it!

Any insight is greatly appreciated
csuangka@teamnovak.com
Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

1- (sorta a "Comic relief".....) I believe Charlie comes here because he is too broke to continue paying for this abuse "from others" (Charlie, as stated, this is comic relief, I do not know you or what you do....other than keep coming back here......)
2-I ONLY use Novak for my "go fasts" (12th & 10th pan, 10th dirt buggies), but ONLY because I'm a frikkin cheapskate. Among my older Novaks are a couple of 410mic's (IIRC) which still work longer than a number of forum members here.....

Why don't I run Novak in my crawlers???!!!

A-my older Novak ESC's DON'T have reverse (stupid rules disallowed reverse......sigh.....)
B-I'm a cheap ummmm.....person......
C-My son built a rig (for me) with different brand ESC's in it.
D-All of the above....(if you're betting on this....I say pick "D"....but don't tell anyone.........)

I have worked in CS & field service for quite a few years, I totally realize that the ratio is 40:1 "Happy vs. complaining"...if you're happy, no peep.....if you're pissed....watch out.....

Not saying it's wrong....just saying.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So if I'm missing the boat, please slap me in the head with it. We apparently need it!

csuangka@teamnovak.com
Slap you....slap you......I have a couple of sites I would get yelled at if I did so....so you're next......"Swipe".....

Joking......see my post while you were posting yours.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Woops, I forgot the most important tidbit. I Love The Internet!

Thanks CharlieIII.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Since we're all in such a helpful mood here's my Ultimate ESC for the wish list....

Small
No BEC
3S input. 4s would be nice.
Soldering posts for motor AND battery wires
Water proof/resistant
PC programming
Fixed it for you
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Ah, Good POint, Thanks AM!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #79
Suck it up!

Quote:
Since we're all in such a helpful mood here's my Ultimate ESC for the wish list list....

Small
Built in Switching BEC
Universal Input Voltage
Runs anything

Right?

Or maybe it's this one:

Small
No BEC
3S input.

I've been told only Newb's run BL so, this can be a Brushed Motor ESC early on right? Later if this sticks, we can try a BL version. But we don't want to upset anyone by offering another BL system. Then the BL system will have this same stuff, and the option to run Brushed and BL motors?

I think this conversation on this forum has been had many many many times no? So if i'm missing the boat, please slap me in the head with it. We apparently need it!

csuangka@teamnovak.com
Like Malach pointed out, its got to at least handle 3s. The only people who are running 2s are those who haven't gotten around to stepping up. If you poke around a bit you'll find more than few who run 4s, and some scalers up to 6s.

And as was stated earlier, if it had been offered to us differently the reaction might have been more welcoming. EGRESSor more or less said the same thing you did but in a much more appealing and understandable way.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about an esc with a weak bec if you mentioned that it was that way to save space, and that since most people run an external to power their servos, 2a is plenty for a receiver and lights. But the way you put it, it seemed like you were saying we really don't need more than that, which we do, I'll guarantee it.

A brushed/brushless option is nice, but if you can prove that your brushless system is close to comparable with the smooth action of a brushed, then you'll turn heads and maybe convert a few of us brushed-only guys. Put it in a crawler and show us what it does. We all know brushless is good for speed, but its the low end and startup that concerns us. If it can creep along like a snail without jerking and stalling, then you're golden. That is what we want.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ah, Good POint, Thanks AM!
And thank you know for truly posting and showing that you are listening, the waterproof can be a iffy, if it's easy to do, then waterproof it, if it's going to raise the price of the product by $30 to water proof, I'd stick with the balloon method instead lol
But if your trying to go with the theme of small size.. Just look at the tekin fxr and go from there,
4s capable is cool but 3s is fine by most lol