Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
LCC. Call Holmes.
I bet one of his brushless would be perfect in that truck.
Might want to think about a BEC, I know the one in the MMP is not a super high current unit.
In my short course truck, I was coming very close to shutting down on thermal protection.
Put in a BEC to run the servo, and the heat went down.
In a LCC, I wouldn't hesitate to run the redline. Might be a better choice in the long run.
If you were running something like a Wraith, I would say PRO4 is the way to go.
I have a few CC BEC's to use. I contacted Holmes via email, he said Tekin 13.5 would be a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Not saying it was an LCC from the start just wasted a lot of people's time. The 13.5 or 17.5 redline is your best bet. Part of the problem is that the Pro4 has a 5mm shaft....you're not going to find many 48 pitch pinions for that. You should have just listened to Mr. Holmes from the start......
I'm not sure how not saying it was a LCC wasted a lot of people's time, but that wasn't my intention. You could have asked me what crawler I was working on just as easily.

I did listen to Mr. Holmes from the start, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread. His "brushless inrunner" section contains both the Redline motors and the Pro4 motors. Hence the "Please school me on Tekin Pro4 motors" title. I was merely trying to figure out if they were at all comparable motors, and that if one of the Pro4 motors would work for my application.

I didn't want to bother HH with the back and fourth emailing on questions that could be answered by the knowledgeable people on this forum who have used these products. Or asking him/his staff what the turn ratings mean on the Pro4 motors.

War Pig, I'm sorry I've mistaken this forum for an information sharing site where guys like myself who are slowly getting back into crawlers can ask guys like you (knowledgeable?) stupid questions that they don't know the answers to. If it bothers you so much, next time skip over any threads posted by Dini.

Last edited by Dini; 07-13-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yeah, how dare you ask questions on a forum!! Its always good to get a second opinion.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yeah, how dare you ask questions on a forum!! Its always good to get a second opinion.

I know right, shame on me!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Usually people with an LCC know it's a specialized crawler and say that when they are looking for motor advice. What I'm saying is that if you had said "I have an LCC and I'm thinking about putting a Pro4 in it", then people could have told you about the motor and said "this is not a good motor for your truck" from the beginning instead of wholeheartedly recommending it to you and confusing everybody. Sorry of I came off as an ass but there are so many times that asking the question correctly will make the answer much easier to find. Also, don't ever question John....

*EDIT*

Ha! I just noticed you are in Portland. I live in Milwaukie.

Last edited by War Pig; 07-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #25

Quote:
I've heard of people having trouble getting them to crawl well. I'm running 12/56 gearing with underdrive rear and stock ratio front on 3s with an RS Pro in my '34D, and it crawls really nice. Maybe mess around with your ESC settings because you should be able to crawl really slow. My class 2 Range Rover has almost the exact same setup/ESC/battery as you and it has amazing low end control.
i got a much better low end from upping the expos on my transmitter. with my twitchy trigger finger the stock setup was pretty much an on/off switch with the pro4. setting the expos made a dramatic difference in being able to creep along up and over anything instead of launching top fuel style.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i got a much better low end from upping the expos on my transmitter. with my twitchy trigger finger the stock setup was pretty much an on/off switch with the pro4. setting the expos made a dramatic difference in being able to creep along up and over anything instead of launching top fuel style.
It's amazing what a few little adjustments here and there will do. Sounds like you need to lay off the double espresso right before a scale comp .
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #27

setting the MMP to low power startup helps too.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Usually people with an LCC know it's a specialized crawler and say that when they are looking for motor advice. What I'm saying is that if you had said "I have an LCC and I'm thinking about putting a Pro4 in it", then people could have told you about the motor and said "this is not a good motor for your truck" from the beginning instead of wholeheartedly recommending it to you and confusing everybody. Sorry of I came off as an ass but there are so many times that asking the question correctly will make the answer much easier to find. Also, don't ever question John....
Is it too late to reiterate that? It would say something more like "I have a LCC and I'm wondering if a Pro4 would work well in my crawler?"

I wouldn't ever second guess John. I'm sure he's forgotten more about electric motors than I will ever care to know. But just for the record, I wasn't second guessing him. I did not want to bother the almighty motor god with my lame questions, as I'm sure he is very busy. I was simply exploring my motor options to make an educated purchase, via this forum and it's knowledgeable members.

Also, I have more than one crawler. If it won't work well with one, than it might still be a good option for another. That is one reason I didn't specify which one I was referring to.

Last edited by Dini; 07-13-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Yeah would've helped, though great attitude to have
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Yeah would've helped, though great attitude to have
Meh, maybe next time. Thanks to all who posted with useful info.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Part of the problem is that the Pro4 has a 5mm shaft....you're not going to find many 48 pitch pinions for that.
Ya know I just saw the other day on Tekin's site that they have a new rotor available for the Pro4 with an 1/8" shaft which would open up the possibilities quite a bit

Tekin - Pro4 Sensored 4x4 Short Course Competition Sensored Brushless Motors
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #32

Good find! Looks like I'm bringing some in on the next order!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I think the Pro4 will work amazing in your LCC.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Ya know I just saw the other day on Tekin's site that they have a new rotor available for the Pro4 with an 1/8" shaft which would open up the possibilities quite a bit

Tekin - Pro4 Sensored 4x4 Short Course Competition Sensored Brushless Motors
Well, that opens the Pro4 up to all kinds of possibilities. That was my biggest issue with it.....kinda being limited to 32 pitch gears. I wonder how much that rotor is? The motor alone is already $135 . Aww, what's money right?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
RCC Addict

I fear it has enough torque to break 1/8" shafts like toothpicks, I've saw much weaker motors break them.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #36

Depends on the grade of steel and how they grind them down. A quality hardened shaft will be able to take more power than our transmission gears. Once I switched to a good shaft on my outrunners we didn't have any problems. Time will tell though.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Crazy, i've been doing this crap for a long time and have never seen a broken motor shaft. I like the 5mm shaft on the pro4 though.. Bigger is always better, right..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
I fear it has enough torque to break 1/8" shafts like toothpicks, I've saw much weaker motors break them.

Did you mean axle shafts or motor output shafts?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I snapped an 1/8" motor shaft on an earlier castle 1415 before, although it had a few gouges from pinion set screws. Might as well go 32p for the durability and availability of 32p pinions in 5mm bore imo.

My lhs did have a few 48p 5mm bore pinions on the wall last time I was in there oddly enough.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Basically, a motor with windings in delta configuration (D) gives low torque at low speed, but can give higher top speed. Wye configuration (Y) gives high torque at low speed, but not as high top speed.

From my research D windings are harder on the esc, I assume because of higher startup currents. In the fast electric boat world I understand that D motors are better for racing and Y motors are better for sport boats. I assume because the higher low speed torque of a Y wind helps reduce heat buildup in start and go driving.

The numbers in a 2.5D motor refer to the number of turns. Similar to brushed motors; lower turn motors are generally higher KV.

If you have the choice between a Y or D motor, I'd choose the Y.
Hi there i am in the doubt of buying a pro4 from tekin, and i want to put it in a wraith ant do 2 things that are dificult to achieve together, crawl with low end speed, and also put some padles in it and foff with it since al my friends have slash e-revos etc, so in order to get along and play with them i need something that will give me some wheel speed, and enough low end control to crawl, because i crawl alone but i love it. Most it will be 30% crawling and 70% foffing, i was advised to buy the pro4 3300kv, is it the right choice? i can get it to run with 3s lipo to foff and put 2s to crawl, will it will have a big amp draw? i will pair it with a mamba max pro esc and a venon batery 2s 5000mah 50c i am using with a castle creations 2400kv on my wraith and with a 28 tooth pinion, and it runs good speed, although it doesnt have low end control for crawl. I will have to buy also 3s lipo to work with the 3300kv, but i am concerned with the battery runtimes, with the castle creations 2400kv even on sand, i get about 2hours of runtime with it. I guess the pro4 will not do that by any means right? so what pro4 kv would you recomend me?
3300, 4000 or the 4600 that has the Y design, like my castle 4 pole 2400kv? wich one runs cooler in the same average conditions and has the lowest amp draw, so that i can have better runtimes?
cheers and thanks for your time.

Last edited by cravo; 08-09-2012 at 06:59 AM.
cravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekin pro4 gearing guidetti_angelo Axial Wraith 57 03-22-2013 08:38 AM
Tekin PRO4 in a Losi GiJoe Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 03-14-2012 08:24 PM
Tekin pro4 4000 on 3s guidetti_angelo Electronics 6 03-02-2012 11:43 PM
Tekin Pro4 question jvalason Axial Wraith 8 12-19-2011 10:21 PM
Tekin pro4 power guidetti_angelo Scale Videos! 0 11-27-2011 02:22 PM