Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors!

Any of the big 4-pole motors love power. They will chew up and destroy batteries. I puffed a 5300 mah 65c pack with my MMP and 4600kv brushless combo. Never thought it would be possible, but that thing was a power hog.
You definately won't get the two hours of run time.
I think no matter which one you do, you will have to change out gearing, depending on what you are doing with the truck.
To get the speed you want for FOFF and still be able to crawl is a lot to ask.
If you go to the Wraith section, there are lots of guys there that have done crawling and FOFF stuff with their Wraiths.
The Pro4 3300 should be more than enough monster to make you happy.
I can't imagine a 4000 or even the 4600 in a Wraith.
In my short course truck, I was using a GPS and recording speeds above 40mph with my 4600 motor and some impressive gearing. And that wasn't even the pro4, it was a cheap motor.....
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Any of the big 4-pole motors love power. They will chew up and destroy batteries. I puffed a 5300 mah 65c pack with my MMP and 4600kv brushless combo. Never thought it would be possible, but that thing was a power hog.
You definately won't get the two hours of run time.
I think no matter which one you do, you will have to change out gearing, depending on what you are doing with the truck.
To get the speed you want for FOFF and still be able to crawl is a lot to ask.
If you go to the Wraith section, there are lots of guys there that have done crawling and FOFF stuff with their Wraiths.
The Pro4 3300 should be more than enough monster to make you happy.
I can't imagine a 4000 or even the 4600 in a Wraith.
In my short course truck, I was using a GPS and recording speeds above 40mph with my 4600 motor and some impressive gearing. And that wasn't even the pro4, it was a cheap motor.....
Thanks for the input. I will buy the pro 3300 and them gear ir correct to foff and to crawl what spur/pinions you advise? For crawl and for foffing 32 pitch of course.
I want gears that fit the Spur cover to protect gearing.
cravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
RCC Addict

The LCC performs better with a 4-pole motor. 13.5 in mine was meh, Pro4 3300 with the 1/8 shaft is boss. That's where the ROC412 was born, they will be perfect for Wraiths, LCCs, scalers.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Personally I use Robinson or Kimbourough. I think that is spelled right.
Not sure what gears will fit under the spur cover. I don't run one. Probly should though.. LOL..

for 32p crawling I am thinking something in the 12 tooth pinion and 60 tooth spur, unless someone has a better ratio.
Check out what the guys in the Wraith forum are using. They won't be shy..
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
The LCC performs better with a 4-pole motor. 13.5 in mine was meh, Pro4 3300 with the 1/8 shaft is boss. That's where the ROC412 was born, they will be perfect for Wraiths, LCCs, scalers.
Anddddd......peeps are asking for info updates in the ROC thread.....

Just "in case you missed it"..... World release, Tekin ROC 412
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Anddddd......peeps are asking for info updates in the ROC thread.....

Just "in case you missed it"..... World release, Tekin ROC 412
I know, I know, it's been a long time coming. Lots of projects in the works here at HQ. I have been beating on mine for while now, ran one at AxialFest and it was awesome in my 1.9 scaler.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
I have a Pro4 (forgot if it is 3300kv or 3600kv) in my wraith. It is a load - but - boy - what a fun load. Stripped gears in transmission - upgraded to Robinson Racing gears - all good. Twisted and broke stock driveshafts even though I had them reinforced with a steel rod. MIP driveshafts fixed this problem.

I highly recommend it - but be prepared to spend about $80 to beef up your trans and drive train.
I am planning put a pro4 3300kv on my wraith but i would like to keep the stock driveshafts, because one of the bolt it just doesnt get out of it. The rear one in the driveshaft next to the axle it was overtighten in the factory and i already stripped 2 allen keys to remove it, with no sucess :(. i also put a bolt inside mine and its holding up fine, at lest for now. So what i would like to know is where does your driveshaft broke(pics would be awsome), in what place and where so that i can reenforce mine to not break. maybe with the bolt inside i need also to put a hollow tube on top of the driveshaft so it doesnt strip, just like the bolt, glued but on the outside of the driveshaft also. Please tell me where yours broke so i can make the proper arrangements on mine and post the results to everyone.
thanks
Cravo
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravo View Post

I am planning put a pro4 3300kv on my wraith but i would like to keep the stock driveshafts, because one of the bolt it just doesnt get out of it. The rear one in the driveshaft next to the axle it was overtighten in the factory and i already stripped 2 allen keys to remove it, with no sucess :(. i also put a bolt inside mine and its holding up fine, at lest for now. So what i would like to know is where does your driveshaft broke(pics would be awsome), in what place and where so that i can reenforce mine to not break. maybe with the bolt inside i need also to put a hollow tube on top of the driveshaft so it doesnt strip, just like the bolt, glued but on the outside of the driveshaft also. Please tell me where yours broke so i can make the proper arrangements on mine and post the results to everyone.
thanks
Cravo
Sorry to burst your bubble, the motor doesn't care what bolt you can't get out. If its the weak link, it will break. Best to plan for it is all I'm saying.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, the motor doesn't care what bolt you can't get out. If its the weak link, it will break. Best to plan for it is all I'm saying.
ok so your advice is put the mip driveshafts, 32 pitch gears, metal internal trans, and steel links (vennon creeper links seem to fit the wraith and are way cheaper).
is that it?
i ordered the pro 4 3300, 32 pitch gears and metal internal gears already. guess i will have to buy the rest of the package.rrsrs
Cravo
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Yep. And/or make your own links to get any wb you want.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post

Can you tell me how your LCC was equipped when the 13.5 was "meh"? I certainly DON'T want meh. Battery size and discharge rate, gearing, etc. Also, specs on your LCC when you had the Pro4 3300 would be nice too. Stupid question-what size shafts are the factory Losi pinion gears for? If they are not for an 1/8" shaft, what pinion gear did you use?

JRH told me that it would be a great motor for my application. I want to crawl most of the time, and have blown big block on alcohol power when I need to bump an obstacle or jump something.

It sounds like one of the ROC412 motors would be perfect, but I don't want to grow old(er) and die waiting for one...

Last edited by Dini; 08-22-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #52
RCC Addict

pro4 - what about water, mud, etc?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Well it looks like Ty@Tekin is too busy to check back in with us...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Do the Tekin 13.5 or 17.5 motors have a crawler rotor option? If so, what is the difference between the standard rotor and the crawler rotor?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

On the novak options its a 1.5mm OD difference iirc. IMO just stepping up from a brushed motor to brushless is enough, and a pro4 on 2s will still eat up drivetrain parts.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #56
RCC Addict

I don't always get to check on every thread and I'm not always here.

The 13.5 was ok. It was smooth yes, but lacked the torque and ran pretty warm. I haven't driven that rig in awhile, but I was using a 2S 2100 and a 3S 1100, both 20C. The ROC motor provides much more torque and raw power. I believe I have an 18T on the stock spur in it now.

I also have it setup to run a 2S 3400 pack up top, not great on CG, but it runs for quite a while now, which is what I was after.

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 09-04-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so my choices for my LCC are narrowed down to Tekin 13.5, 17.5 or a Pro4 (3300?). Which is best? Like I said above, I crawl most of the time, but want "blown big block on alcohol power" when I need it.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dini View Post
Ok, so my choices for my LCC are narrowed down to Tekin 13.5, 17.5 or a Pro4 (3300?). Which is best? Like I said above, I crawl most of the time, but want "blown big block on alcohol power" when I need it.
You'd be better off with the Pro4, ideally the ROC412 once we have those out. They are tweaked off the Pro4 design to be more crawler specific, will come in different kVs and standard with the 1/8" shaft for normal pinions. 3S on a 2500 would probably be ideal I would think!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dini View Post
Can you tell me how your LCC was equipped when the 13.5 was "meh"? I certainly DON'T want meh. Battery size and discharge rate, gearing, etc. Also, specs on your LCC when you had the Pro4 3300 would be nice too. Stupid question-what size shafts are the factory Losi pinion gears for? If they are not for an 1/8" shaft, what pinion gear did you use?

JRH told me that it would be a great motor for my application. I want to crawl most of the time, and have blown big block on alcohol power when I need to bump an obstacle or jump something.

It sounds like one of the ROC412 motors would be perfect, but I don't want to grow old(er) and die waiting for one...
I mentioned this before. Do you want to send me one of your demo motors!!!???

Last edited by Dini; 10-01-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to do that. The 412s are being built and the design is finalized. We are doing our best to get them out, it's been crazy with the Gen2 Redline release and we have a few more goodies that will appear very soon as well. We firmly believe in quality here and nothing gets sent out until it is just right. The 412 was a different kind of motor project for us, it had to be built differently to suit crawling needs. It is an awesome motor being the brother to the Pro4, I think it will do very well.

As far as the water/mud questions, it's up to you to waterproof it properly and take care of it with regular maintenance.

Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekin pro4 gearing guidetti_angelo Axial Wraith 57 03-22-2013 08:38 AM
Tekin PRO4 in a Losi GiJoe Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 03-14-2012 08:24 PM
Tekin pro4 4000 on 3s guidetti_angelo Electronics 6 03-02-2012 11:43 PM
Tekin Pro4 question jvalason Axial Wraith 8 12-19-2011 10:21 PM
Tekin pro4 power guidetti_angelo Scale Videos! 0 11-27-2011 02:22 PM