Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Replace armature of a tekin motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #21

Default Re: Replace armature of a tekin motor

thanks a lot,

Is not that big of trouble, its only 12 dollars the heatsink.

Correct me if im wrong, but the only problem with overgearing is temperature right? So, if I can keep it cool with a heatsink with a fan, dont see the problem of keeping the overgear.

Anyway, I will buy the low T pinions to avoid overgearing, check temperature with different pinions to see witch one are acceptable. And for curiosity, see if the heatsink will help a bit.

As a side note, I found out that the 3 point link stock suspension is touching the transmission link. (Due to the the increased length gearbox (because of the axial DIG)) . I will have to change to 4 point (from dingo to honcho). So that was causing also overheat.

In addition my differentials are almos completely filled with grease do avoid damage with by water, adding some resistance to the whole drive train.

Ill let you know,

Thanks again

Last edited by jcacosta; 07-04-2013 at 01:29 PM.
jcacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcacosta View Post
thanks a lot,

Is not that big of trouble, its only 12 dollars the heatsink.

Correct me if im wrong, but the only problem with overgearing is temperature right? So, if I can keep it cool with a heatsink with a fan, dont see the problem of keeping the overgear.

Anyway, I will buy the low T pinions to avoid overgearing, check temperature with different pinions to see witch one are acceptable. And for curiosity, see if the heatsink will help a bit.

As a side note, I found out that the 3 point link stock suspension is touching the transmission link. (Due to the the increased length gearbox (because of the axial DIG)) . I will have to change to 4 point (from dingo to honcho). So that was causing also overheat.

In addition my differentials are almos completely filled with grease do avoid damage with by water, adding some resistance to the whole drive train.

Ill let you know,

Thanks again
The heat sink might keep the magnets a couple of degrees cooler but you are still going to smoke the comm if you are over geared.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Those heatsinks and fans are designed to cool the magnets maybe a couple of degrees at most. They only cover part of the motor in the first place, nor do they have the best contact surface. The colder you can keep a motor, the more efficient and powerful it will be. Boats use full blown water cooling, but even they still have to gear the boat properly(through either gears or propeller size).

Without getting into a huge techno brief, the armature is what you need to keep cold to prevent it from blowing up from overgearing. That heatsink will do NOTHING in helping keep the armature cool. It's basically the same as giving a whale a tic tac for bad breath.

You can continue to argue about it, but you are wrong. What you are attempting to do WON'T work........gear your truck properly and your motor will last.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #24

Now thats an excellent explanation from both of you, (Im a bit stubborn sorry), I am fully convinced. thank you thank you

I wont buy then the heatsink, just the infrared temperature sensor (only 3.8 dollars on amazon) and pinions from 14T to 18T for trial an error keeping motor under 160 degrees C. When using the sensor, I should point then to the comm inside instead of the can to check the temperature, because thats where the temps problem is.

now Im deciding weather to buy a tekin motor again (maybe handwounded, expensive tough) or a torquemaster 35T (trailmaster not safe for fxr)

I think Ill try to sell the fxr and buy the HH esc for 3s with the trailmaster 27T.

Thanks again
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

The FXR can handle the trailmaster 27t no problem....the FXR is a very capable ESC. I use them in all my trucks without issue.

Later EddieO
Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
The FXR can handle the trailmaster 27t no problem....the FXR is a very capable ESC. I use them in all my trucks without issue.

Later EddieO
Does that hold true on 3 cell, mine would thermal out after about 2 minutes?
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #27

I have the same question of Ickabob adding that I have a BEC from CC and so, internal bec of fxr will not be used, reducing temp.

on top of that, my fxr is waterproofed with plastidip.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Oh, missed the 3s part. Techincally they rate it 35t+ or higher on 3s. I have seen people use it with less....kinda like the castle micros people use well out of spec. If it was thermaling though, may be pushing the limits. I had dual 30t motors in my MOA with dual fxrs and they didn't have an issue, but thats a lot less speed than a scaler will see.

Later EddieO
Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Replace armature of a Tekin motor

Heat sinks are great for short duration, most crawler courses yield a longer runtime (especially scale courses or G6's).

Get a suitable gearing for this....or.....buy a lot of motors and be adept at changing them......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #30

Thanks again,

Ok, FXR sold ,

Im buying the HH esc, Its the esc I wanted when I bought the fxr but it was not in stock. Ill also buy several pinions but still dont know about motors. Plan to buy a "cheap" trailmaster sport (for mud and water) and another motor for a bit less speed and more torque like the tekin 35T. But since Im buying from HH why not a HH motor.

Since torque from tekin 35t motor on super overgeared 20T/80T was fine for me, do you think that the trailmaster PRO 27T will give me similar torque if not better with a 14-16T/87T gear ratio? on 3 cells.

If thats the case, will buy both trailmaster pro and sport. If not, the trailmaster sport and a crawlermaster 16t or torquemaster 35T. Those last 2 look too pro for me, quite confused with the 5 slot vs 3 slot and all the customising options

What do you think? Its basically for trail and occasional crawling
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks again,

Ok, FXR sold ,

Im buying the HH esc, Its the esc I wanted when I bought the fxr but it was not in stock. Ill also buy several pinions but still dont know about motors. Plan to buy a "cheap" trailmaster sport (for mud and water) and another motor for a bit less speed and more torque like the tekin 35T. But since Im buying from HH why not a HH motor.

Since torque from tekin 35t motor on super overgeared 20T/80T was fine for me, do you think that the trailmaster PRO 27T will give me similar torque if not better with a 14-16T/87T gear ratio? on 3 cells.

If thats the case, will buy both trailmaster pro and sport. If not, the trailmaster sport and a crawlermaster 16t or torquemaster 35T. Those last 2 look too pro for me, quite confused with the 5 slot vs 3 slot and all the customising options

I've used all those motors as well as some of the guys around here, I've had bad luck with the ones from Holmes, I'm not saying there bad motors I'm saying I can't keep them running more then a day on 3 cell. On the other hand my tekins seen to run forever and the guys who run them on 2 cells have yet to burn one up. I love the 3cell power and remember I crawl on all these so I never over geared them. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #32

Actually my tekin lasted 13 month, of those 13 monthe, being on 3 cell super overgeared for 2 month, plus a lot of mud and water! So no bad at all. I have no complains about the tekin 35T

Just tough I could make a step forward with HH. Never heard of HH motor being bad
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I ran 18/87 with my Honcho with a Tekin 35 turn Pro on 3s no problem at all and my average run time with a 4000 mAh pack was about 3 to 3.5 hours. I just picked up one of the Tekin ROC 412 3100kv motors as I could keep up to the rest of the guys in my group now running the new Tekin sensored brushless motors.
Needboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Actually my tekin lasted 13 month, of those 13 monthe, being on 3 cell super overgeared for 2 month, plus a lot of mud and water! So no bad at all. I have no complains about the tekin 35T

Just tough I could make a step forward with HH. Never heard of HH motor being bad
Same here, and I'm not saying there bad at all just bad luck for me. Others love them and get good results with them. Tekins service is tops as well. I turn my own motors and replace the brushes when needed to keep them fresh. Good luck on your choice.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks again,

Ok, FXR sold ,

The CrawlMaster has a 5 slot armature which produces really smooth low end crawling. It seems a little more sluggish when accelerating than the TorqueMaster Expert. I have CrawlMaster 13T in my Wraith and have had no issues running it with 3s. I also run a Torque Master Pro 35T in my SCX10 and it works great.

If you are going to do mostly trails then I would go with the TorqueMaster Pro 35T or 27T. If you think you are going to get a lot of dirt in it then go with the TrailMaster Pro.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #36

wow thanks again,

What do you mean dirt? like rallying with a a lot of slip and drifting in dirt? I do trail quite slow normally (some donuts from time to time lol, but dangerous cause of tilt) , I like the 3s punch in case of big step.

So now, with you r answer im more in a 12 bucks trailmaster sport, and a torquemaster 35/27T.

You know how to contact HH? their web page contact form has an error, and he doesnt answer here.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Pm EddieO, he will respond to you.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Gearing is key, I was ignorant on this and ended up blowing the windings out on about 3 motors w a brxl and 3s. I don't know on how much but weight and tire size I think also plays part in gearing choices.
jcsaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
wow thanks again,

What do you mean dirt? like rallying with a a lot of slip and drifting in dirt? I do trail quite slow normally (some donuts from time to time lol, but dangerous cause of tilt) , I like the 3s punch in case of big step.

So now, with you r answer im more in a 12 bucks trailmaster sport, and a torquemaster 35/27T.

You know how to contact HH? their web page contact form has an error, and he doesnt answer here.
I thought you were going to be buying a cheap motor for the mud and another for the trail running so i was just explaining the differences in the motors.

It is probably your web browser that is the problem with the form. If you can't get the form to work try ...edited email... .

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-08-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: was getting spam
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #40

Thanks for the reply

Replace armature of a tekin motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushed motor to replace stock unit for more speed/tourque? strap624 Axial Wraith 2 09-15-2011 08:58 AM
Burnt Up Steering Motor, Think I Can Replace It... RANOVRU General Crawlers 6 01-11-2006 11:38 PM