Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: axial Ae-5's catching on fire often?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: axial Ae-5's catching on fire often?

I, for one, am not impressed with Axial's move to go with this ESC. I hope it becomes such a headache that they go back to the AE-2 and send one out to everyone that bought the AE-5.......

Axial, I am a HUGE fan but, dang - bad move!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #22
RCC Addict

I've had great experiences selling and owning ae-5's. Maybe there was a bad batch?
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Mines gone for a swim a couple times. The last run it was caked in mud. No issues to report.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
your obviously doing something wrong......

Never really heard of any of those just burning up, they are actually pretty good esc's.
oh what do you know, You're a hobbywing fanboy! LOL!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Mine just went up in smoke and flames today... No water ever touched it. 3s and castle bec. Wraith spawn about 3 weeks old and maybe a dozen runs with it. Was strange, about 5 minutes on a fresh pack and wraith just took off on its own and rolled on its lid then smoke and fire...
Hopefully my yeti coming Monday won't have any electrical issues...
bonedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

My sons melted after a month. The first call to Axial the guy said mail it in. He was very rude so I call back a few days later and asked for customer service and they seemed to be aware of issues and sent me another. However I have 3 of the ae5 esc in use. All have ccbec being used. The replacement sent to my son the bec dosnt work right even with stock servo,added ccbec and it's been OK.

Last edited by snapon boy; 05-30-2015 at 08:05 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

I'm tempted to call axial Monday, I've had many axials over the years and never thought I'd experience this. I'm actually getting more pi$$ed off the more I think about it. I might just refuse delivery on the yeti coming Monday and cancel the order. If I hadn't did a mod to remove the spawn body quicker/easier than the 4 screws that attach the body in stock form, I would have lost a lot of money. A big glob of plastic goo on the ground and all the VP goodies laying on the ground waiting for a new chassis.

I do hope axial reps read in these forums. Imagine someone new to this hobby running there axial with a AE-5 in the house and this happens. I've very recently been in a local hobby shop that sold a guy a wraith spawn and a 3s and charger. Not one word to the customer needing to install a bec.
Yes I know it's in the manual or common sense but MANY new to the hobby haven't a clue.
bonedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

The stock esc in my axial has never given my and type of problem except one time I hooked it up wrong but that was only for a small amount of time after that the only problem that I had was the esc had to be programed witch was easy. I am not running any bec and I run a 5000 to 5800 2s lipo. KillerBlackbird is write about the waterproof part that is why before my truck got even close to anything with moisture is was turn down and water proofed with plastidip really good stuff to use and some hot glue.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:34 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

http://www.esasafe.com/electricalpro...lls-and-alerts

Its fairly common to have electronics recalls, due to defects or manufacturing error. I would call axial regardless. This could be a batch issue from the manufacturer.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I had this issue in my wraith. I bought it 2 years ago, used it 3 times and she caught on fire. Axial went good for all parts lost in the blaze.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like the issue I had with my AE-2 several years ago. Prepped it for 3s and a BEC, but it just stopped and "let out the smoke" one day. No water, no high temps, and had been performing fine 'til then. Granted it was powering a 1/6 scale Willys, but it was geared very low and wasn't exactly being torture tested. Never had this problem with any of my Castle Sidewinders, like the AE-2 is based on.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #32
FxN

Thumbs up Re: axial Ae-5's catching on fire often?

My ae5 caught on fire today, i was using it on 3s (not for the 1st time obviously) and after 1 minute it decided to go up in smoke and flames. It killed the receiver and i was hurt quite bad to one finger when i was trying to disconnect the battery to prevent it to also catch on fire. It isn't even a cold day today, the temperature is around 1°C. I'm hangry about this happening and i blame axial for the crappy quality of this thing considering that this summer the servo was the first thing to catch on fire. Tomorrow i will call my hobby shop to know if the warranty can do something because that's near 100 eurors of damage.

07/02/18 Fortunately it was all under warranty and the hobby shop gave me a brand new radio and a brand new esc. I'm happy to see that they took care of this and replaced everything that was burned.

Last edited by FxN; 07-02-2018 at 12:34 PM.
FxN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

I have 2 of these on my trucks (moving to 1080's for other reasons) and sold a 3rd to my brother. All ran fine for 2 seasons. 2 are branded Axial/AE-5 and one is a Redcat version from an E-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
I remember something like that prior the MMM being in the trucks, apparently the suppliers of the electrical components had outright lied about what they could handle and if you got it to handle 4s-5s, you were lucky while 6s typically resulted in a big fire.
Unfortunately counterfeit mosfets are a big deal. When a company can have a 5A mosfet branded as a 30A mosfet right from the factory, that will cause serious issues. It won't always blow up because they know the EE's overbuild the systems normally.

Bad batches also happen to good companies. In the last decade there have been many instances of bad capacitors causing industry-wide issues & recalls.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

axial Ae-5's catching on fire often? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial UD gears - getting major gear catching flarezfx Axial SCX-10 8 05-01-2013 05:15 AM
2.2S is catching on! ManxCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 09-13-2012 03:20 AM
RC Adventures - Fire! Axial Honcho Under Attack RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 11 12-11-2010 06:41 AM
new 6 cell catching on fire ax10 Electronics 8 09-18-2009 08:25 AM
I think the rest of the RC world is catching on... Krod_Clod Tires and Wheels 10 12-24-2004 10:42 PM