Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PLS issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 4PLS issues

Just recently switched from a Spektrum DX3R to a used 4PLS with a R204GFE receiver and initially the setup worked great in my truggy. The TX was bound to the RX when I received it so it was plug and play, this was the Model 2 slot on the TX. I also binded my Bomber to the TX in the Model 1 slot with another brand new R204GFE and it worked fine initially. Last weekend I had a problem where the TX wasn't registering any forward/reverse at all on the Bomber. I had servo control but no ESC control, the lights on the ESC would light up as if it were operating like normal but it wouldn't drive, only steer. During this time, I noticed reverse wasn't registering on the bars on the tx screen. I had to reverse the throttle channel to make the bar go the other direction; still wasn't able to drive, just steer. I thought I would try and calibrate the TX to the ESC again to see if that was the issue, ran through the whole sequence on the Mamba Max Pro and still no change. After this fiasco, I busted out the truggy to see if it still worked. Switched to Model 2 and was able to drive it around until I noticed reverse wasn't working like it should be. Again, the throttle bar on the TX wasn't registering reverse, the truggy would drive forward but wouldn't go backwards. WTF is going on?? Reverse would work when I set the brake trim to 100, which didn't seem right. After reading through the 4PLS manual, I thought I'd adjust the set screw on the tx that changes where the forward/reverse ends, now reverse started working again in the truggy. Woohoo!

After going back to the Bomber to diagnose it, I unintentionally left it in the Model 2 settings for the truggy. This got the forward and reverse to work again but it wouldn't work when I switched back over to Model 1 on the TX. Finally said **** it and gave up.

One thing I noticed after digging through the manual is the TX was set to SFH HIGH and apparently the RXs I got only work on SFH NORM. Now I have some questions:

Is this bound to mess something up?

Does the TX need to be sent back to be updated?

Running a Castle BEC and HV servos in both trucks, I've disconnected the red wire from the ESC to the RX since thats how the DX3R worked well. Is that necessary for Futaba as well?

Really kind of bummed it hasn't been plug and play and almost seems buggier than Spektrum but maybe its something simple I'm overlooking. Bomber has a Mamba Max Pro and the truggy has an RX8 Gen 2, if it helps.

Last edited by generalee7; 08-31-2016 at 08:19 AM.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4PLS issues

I had similar but not the same issues with my 4PLS. I found turning the throttle trim almost all the way fixed my FWD/RVS issues. I'd just crank the trim up until the truck started to drive itself forward with no throttle input, then back the trim down slowly until the ESC hit neutral. That was after calibrating the ESC a million times and still having serious issues. Had the same thing with Axial AE-2, Castle Mamba Micro X, and Holmes BLE Pro ESCs.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That's a tough one to wrap my head around. I've been running a 4PLS for years now and its linked to 8 of my rigs. The only issue I've ever run into was remembering to put the transmitter in reverse when calibrating to any of my Castle ESC's. Once that process was complete, everything was good to go. I don't remember if you said or not, but what are your BEC settings at? For calibration they should be set to forward (if I'm not mistaken). Also, you may already know this but make sure you completely power down the ESC and transmitter after you bind them. I noticed when I forgot to do this in the past, the transmitter and receiver would not stay bound and I'd have to repeat the process. Kind of a pain in the a** to some degree but, I used to run Spektrum for years also until I bought the 4PLS. I also use a 4PX for my 1/5 scales now.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I had similar but not the same issues with my 4PLS. I found turning the throttle trim almost all the way fixed my FWD/RVS issues. I'd just crank the trim up until the truck started to drive itself forward with no throttle input, then back the trim down slowly until the ESC hit neutral. That was after calibrating the ESC a million times and still having serious issues. Had the same thing with Axial AE-2, Castle Mamba Micro X, and Holmes BLE Pro ESCs.
Yeah I also found turning throttle trim almost all the way up fixed the problem but it seems like it should operate fine without having to do that I'll start from scratch and see where I get with it. I feel everything would have been fine if I never bound the Bomber to the new radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
That's a tough one to wrap my head around. I've been running a 4PLS for years now and its linked to 8 of my rigs. The only issue I've ever run into was remembering to put the transmitter in reverse when calibrating to any of my Castle ESC's. Once that process was complete, everything was good to go. I don't remember if you said or not, but what are your BEC settings at? For calibration they should be set to forward (if I'm not mistaken). Also, you may already know this but make sure you completely power down the ESC and transmitter after you bind them. I noticed when I forgot to do this in the past, the transmitter and receiver would not stay bound and I'd have to repeat the process. Kind of a pain in the a** to some degree but, I used to run Spektrum for years also until I bought the 4PLS. I also use a 4PX for my 1/5 scales now.
Yes I found the TX has to be reversed for Castle ESCs and this all worked great initially. What do you mean by completely power down the ESC and TX after binding? Just turn both off? Whats odd to me is while I thought I lost bind between the Bomber and TX, the servo continued operating so I don't think its a bind issue. I also thought the ESC and TX lost calibration so I went through that process and no change. It's probably a simple setting on the transmitter that I'm missing so I'll start from scratch. Whats the best way to reset everything and re-bind?

Also, what would happen if the TX hasn't been updated? Is there a way to check which update mine has? Maybe it needs to be sent in for a software upgrade.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Call Futaba customer service. They are knowledgable and helpful. You can get their number on the Futaba website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Messing with this again, now the Bomber is working fine and the Tekno isn't. The RX and TX are bound (green light on the RX and servo works) but when I go to calibrate the RX8 to the RX, the ESC sees no throttle input at all. I can move the throttle trigger and see the bars not move at all, this doesn't seem right to me. I'll be calling Futaba this week to get this sorted, hoping there isn't an issue with the radio, really frustrating
Old 09-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Seems the throttle potentiometer might be bad on the transmitter. Now nothing is working on the Bomber unless I turn ATL all the way to brake then the ESC will recognize the receiver. Once the ESC is recognized and calibrates itself, I can move the trims back to 0 and it'll start driving but I get nothing when I pull the throttle trigger. Definitely calling Futaba tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Is there an email for Futaba technical support?? Tried emailing support@futabarc.com and it got sent back as if that email doesn't work. Also can't seem to get through on their phone line.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Just to update, I pulled the transmitter apart to find the throttle potentiometer. Decided to spray it out with MAF cleaner (electronics parts cleaner for 1:1 cars) and it cured ALL of the problems I was having. Back to having a good working radio

4PLS issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new Futaba 4PLS dual esc programming issues morpheus_tn Electronics 3 03-06-2014 09:28 PM
Y 4pls over mt-4 crazy nick Electronics 4 01-31-2014 05:52 AM
4PLS help 1ULOST2 Electronics 3 10-07-2013 12:55 PM
Issues linking 4PLS to receiver 12vctd Electronics 3 08-17-2013 03:26 PM