Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #381

Default Re: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazee View Post
Did anyone running the hobbywing 1080 have issues calibrating it?I picked one up for my trx Ive done as the instructions say turn on remote press and hold set button while pushing the power button i leave it in the neutral position press set and that seems to be as far as i can calibrate it. When i turn it back off and on the led just flashes constantly
Follow the instructions to a T. If it doesn't work you might have to reverse your throttle channel and try again. It's all in the instructions.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #382
Quarry Creeper

Just wanted to give an update. I've been running the 1080 for almost a year now. It has been rock solid. I'm up to a total of around 9-10. I've converted all my rigs. I simply love this esc. To me, besides the reliability of it, what makes it a true crawler esc is being able to set the drag brake engagement rate and to enable the free wheeling(last option). I can be a little on the throttle, going down a steep hill and not have a runaway truck. It's also pushed servos that are almost 400 oz/in of torque with no brown outs.

Yes, I might be a 1080 fan boy. I would gladly pay more money for this esc. The reliability has proven to be up there with the best of them and the features and programming options just can't be beat.
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #383
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
Just wanted to give an update. I've been running the 1080 for almost a year now. It has been rock solid. I'm up to a total of around 9-10. I've converted all my rigs. I simply love this esc. To me, besides the reliability of it, what makes it a true crawler esc is being able to set the drag brake engagement rate and to enable the free wheeling(last option). I can be a little on the throttle, going down a steep hill and not have a runaway truck. It's also pushed servos that are almost 400 oz/in of torque with no brown outs.

Yes, I might be a 1080 fan boy. I would gladly pay more money for this esc. The reliability has proven to be up there with the best of them and the features and programming options just can't be beat.

What do you find is the sweet spot for drag brake?

I like that it's 3s ready - so I can run either battery profile. Some of our local events are 2s only, but 3s give so much more wheelspeed.

I touched my new 35T motor and gearbox setup to both batts just for a test and was surprised how much faster the higher voltage was.

Installed but not test run yet...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #384
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
]
Depending on the weight of the rig, I run it between 70-90%. I keep the engagement rate around setting 4 or 5.
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #385

Edit post: Nevermind, I found my answer.

Last edited by Bliss_RC; 12-24-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Bliss_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #386
RCC Addict

Got my chassis finished up (ascender) radio and esc installed and fired it up, binding, rates, all that jazz. HW is great, everything works well, I really like the steering servo travel adjust - now get full lock to lock steering. YAY!

I'm a little disappointed with wheel speed though - thought going to 3s would make a big difference - same 35t brushed - but it's barely any faster than my RTR version on 2s. Oh well, I guess I'll need to try a lower turn motor, maybe I'll put a 27T in there or gear up a bit, a little larger pinion?
Old 12-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #387
Rock Crawler

Torque/power/rpm all increase fairly linearly with voltage. Maybe there's an issue with the drivetrain binding because it should be considerably faster vs 2S. You can gear up but just make sure to watch the heat.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #388
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got my chassis finished up (ascender) radio and esc installed and fired it up, binding, rates, all that jazz. HW is great, everything works well, I really like the steering servo travel adjust - now get full lock to lock steering. YAY!

I'm a little disappointed with wheel speed though - thought going to 3s would make a big difference - same 35t brushed - but it's barely any faster than my RTR version on 2s. Oh well, I guess I'll need to try a lower turn motor, maybe I'll put a 27T in there or gear up a bit, a little larger pinion?
Motor might be shot... Check the brushes and the comm.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #389
RCC Addict

Quote:

I like that it's 3s ready - so I can run either battery profile. Some of our local events are 2s only, but 3s give so much more wheelspeed.

I touched my new 35T motor and gearbox setup to both batts just for a test and was surprised how much faster the higher voltage was.

Installed but not test run yet...

Very nice clean wiring job there. I find the default drag brake works perfect. You can adjust in the field with the included card though.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #390
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Have you calibrated the esc with the transmitter then readjusted the throttle end points yet ?

Santa brought me one of these and cannot wait to get the new Ascender F-100 to put it in.

Last edited by ScoJac; 12-26-2017 at 09:52 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #391
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Have you calibrated the esc with the transmitter then readjusted the throttle end points yet ?

Santa brought me one of these and cannot wait to get the new Ascender F-100 to put it in.
I did, but I might re-do it and re-bind.
Setting the steering endpoints made a huge difference. I tried changing the throttle endpoints but it did nothing so I gave up.

I just may go through the setup process again, although it seems to work correctly.

It could be that a scx10ii has a 550 can motor and different gearing, and a faster ground speed. [shrug]
Old 12-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #392
Rock Crawler

Just said "merry xmas and happy new year" to my trucks...

Old 12-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #393
Rock Crawler

FYI I can confirm the WP1080's program card DOES work with the Quickrun 8BL150 esc, it uses "V2 Car ESC" settings. It only has 12 items/settings instead of 15, and cycled from 12 back to 1. For item 2 it gave me 8 values for the 8BL150 whereas the WP1080 only goes up to 2. It only seemed to work on 3S, but then again it was just raw wire held in 5.5mm bullets by hand...

So now I saved $9 on a 2nd card, so it's more like a $33 esc. I just can't decide if I want to put on Deans or convert my two 3S to XT60's.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #394
RCC Addict

Put on a deans or use an adapter. I soldered on a deans - piece of cake.

The programmer card makes short work of setup - I could not make heads or tails with the beeps.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #395
Quarry Creeper

Hey up, I got one of these waiting to go on a rig - looks a great bit of kit.

Just wondering, has anyone used one with a HH Puller 400? Wondered if it would give it what it deserves and the right sort of smoothy slick control?..

Only dreaming about the 400 at this stage...
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #396
Quarry Creeper

Also, has anyone had one apart yet successfully? ( For all the weight weenies out there!).

Weighed the unit as it comes with the XT connector and on/off program switch on - came out at 57g which is pretty respectable tbh - bet you'd get another 20g off that with the casing gone... And i'd assume its the board that has been coated / waterproofed not the cover?..

Just food for thought...
Old 01-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #397
Rock Crawler

It looks more like it was potted, meaning the lower case is glued to the board. Removing the black case by pulling could remove part of the potting material. It's also just plastic so it's barely worth a few grams.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #398
RCC Addict

Okay, I got mine all dialed in and it works so well I ordered another one for my K10-RTR.
Drag brake is set to 80%, full soft engage (might have to move this up for rock crawling) the motor on full soft start, and reverse at 25%. This all makes it extremely smooth even with 3s and a 16 tooth drive pinion (84 stock spur) and the HH Trailmaster 540 35T.

I get all the speed I could want - enough to tip it over if you try to roll it, but still crawls as slowly as you wish. Control is very smooth with the ESC settings. Compared to the non-adjustable ESC that came in the Ascender - it's like night and day better.

Savox 0231 on the built in BEC, works fine.

Put about an hour and a half on the newly built rig yesterday...

Old 01-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #399
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
It looks more like it was potted, meaning the lower case is glued to the board. Removing the black case by pulling could remove part of the potting material. It's also just plastic so it's barely worth a few grams.
Cheers...
Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #400
RCC Addict

Quote:
Okay, I got mine all dialed in and it works so well I ordered another one for my K10-RTR.
Drag brake is set to 80%, full soft engage (might have to move this up for rock crawling) the motor on full soft start, and reverse at 25%. This all makes it extremely smooth even with 3s and a 16 tooth drive pinion (84 stock spur) and the HH Trailmaster 540 35T.

I get all the speed I could want - enough to tip it over if you try to roll it, but still crawls as slowly as you wish. Control is very smooth with the ESC settings. Compared to the non-adjustable ESC that came in the Ascender - it's like night and day better.

Savox 0231 on the built in BEC, works fine.

Put about an hour and a half on the newly built rig yesterday...

Can you share the setting numbers?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC? CoolRunning Electronics 143 04-28-2020 08:48 AM
QUICRUN WP 1080 brushed ESC (2-3S) With castle Bec Vwsb74 Electronics 14 04-07-2017 10:43 AM
Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Brushed Dual Motor ESC questions 4drmopar Electronics 4 02-13-2016 11:28 AM
Dynamite 60A Brushed ESC or Hobbywing Quicrun WP1060? MaX-D Electronics 1 09-12-2014 11:22 PM