Notices

Thread: Open source ESC and firmware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #41
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Default Re: Open source ESC and firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka View Post
Thanks, it can control two brushed motors at the same time too, there is a separate channel that can be used for the second input. Both motors share the same middle mosfets so the drawback is both have to be going the same direction at the same time ( but they don't have to be going the same speed). Maybe its useful for dual motor crawlers ? otherwise the second channel can control the drag brake strength.
Seriously nifty!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Subbing. Cool stuff...
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #43

Added selectable bi-polar/ uni-polar PWM for brushed modes and a crude adjustable PWM dithering.
With bi-polar pwm both channels are putting out 50 percent power all the time. For the motor to go forward the duty is increased on one channel and decreased on the other. For some hardware that requires a minimum on time this allows for more resolution at low throttle.
This also how two brushed motors can be run from one speed controller both with independent forward and back .. the only drawback is the get half the voltage each so if you use a 6s battery its just about right
PWM dithering is done on a 4khz frequency injected over the 24 khz motor drive frequency.. it simply varies the power plus or minus some value to help break friction.
This will be added in github ( link on first page ) tomorrow.
Work has start on a PC configurator too!

I went to order a holmes hobbies devolver.. but it was 26 US dollars to ship to Canada. I would still like to make this my test motor but i can't pay $80 Canadian for one motor and shipping! Arrgrh !!.. I am using an outrunner from an underwater rover for my testing right now in my crawler that bluerobotics sent out (m200) but its only 500kv so its very slow and it squeaks a lot (it is meant to be run under water).
Alka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-future View Post
Wow, this is super exciting. I always wonder why rc forums donít cater to this kind of thing. Someone at rccrawler seriously needs to make a section for open source projects like this and also mechanical design. Maybe experimental would be a good classification?
I love tuning and a printed body, but this is another level that we should all aspire to!
Definitely going to keep up with your projects!
Yes exactly. Dangerous words for me are "wouldn't it be cool if...." My crawling buddy just rolls his eyes now. But it gives me something mechanical to work on and think through.

Current thoughts include:

-moving a dig unit to the rear axle. My R1 dig really has to work the driveshaft length to engage and disengage. Moving a toothed collar into the end of a driveshaft on the axle end might be easier.

-somehow being able to adjust ground clearance on the fly or go between 2 suspension extremes
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Added selectable bi-polar/ uni-polar PWM for brushed modes and a crude adjustable PWM dithering.
With bi-polar pwm both channels are putting out 50 percent power all the time. For the motor to go forward the duty is increased on one channel and decreased on the other. For some hardware that requires a minimum on time this allows for more resolution at low throttle.
This also how two brushed motors can be run from one speed controller both with independent forward and back .. the only drawback is the get half the voltage each so if you use a 6s battery its just about right
PWM dithering is done on a 4khz frequency injected over the 24 khz motor drive frequency.. it simply varies the power plus or minus some value to help break friction.
This will be added in github ( link on first page ) tomorrow.
Work has start on a PC configurator too!

I went to order a holmes hobbies devolver.. but it was 26 US dollars to ship to Canada. I would still like to make this my test motor but i can't pay $80 Canadian for one motor and shipping! Arrgrh !!.. I am using an outrunner from an underwater rover for my testing right now in my crawler that bluerobotics sent out (m200) but its only 500kv so its very slow and it squeaks a lot (it is meant to be run under water).
Supposedly AMain has cheap shipping to Canada.

But I thought you and Holmes were going to work out a deal where you'd get a free Revolver?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Supposedly AMain has cheap shipping to Canada.

But I thought you and Holmes were going to work out a deal where you'd get a free Revolver?

John has to make a living too, I told him I would answer any questions.. no revolver necessary. I can copy and paste my code anywhere at no cost to me but John can't do the same with his revolvers! Just never knew about how much it would be to ship lol. I will check out Amain!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #47
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I'll still send you one for testing hardware and software!

I've been stuck in a loop studying software. Although I could throw this stuff on a board and watch it go with little understanding, im trying to understand it all on a deeper level. Wrote some code today though
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

I've been stuck in a loop studying software. Although I could throw this stuff on a board and watch it go with little understanding, im trying to understand it all on a deeper level. Wrote some code today though

That's awesome, a devolver is good enough for me! We will make a trade and I will send you some dev ESC's to play with that are easy to program and debug. (also to re-solder FETS when things go badly).
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
John has to make a living too, I told him I would answer any questions.. no revolver necessary. I can copy and paste my code anywhere at no cost to me but John can't do the same with his revolvers! Just never knew about how much it would be to ship lol. I will check out Amain!
I respect your stance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

I also respect this!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Open source ESC and firmware - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OEM Castle Esc reflash firmware Di_Spencer Electronics 9 12-06-2016 11:36 PM
Open source chassis Savagethrash Axial XR10 2 03-22-2015 06:12 AM
TorqueMaster ESC 1.08 firmware released JohnRobHolmes Electronics 13 03-04-2011 06:23 AM
Xcelorin ESC firmware download Del Monte Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 03-09-2010 12:07 PM
Open source or free sw to replace Autocad setecastronomy Tools, and Procedures 16 04-28-2009 06:24 AM