Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Open source ESC and firmware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2021, 04:06 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Open source ESC and firmware

The firmware should work on any blheli32 esc that has a ST on the chip. the G-arm one probably wont work as easily.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #102

Hello!
I am newb in blheli esc and trying to figure out how to do it.
Could you please help me or redirect to description or video for beginners? Im going to try configure esc for crawler.

1) Hardware:
I have st-link, RacerStar Tattoo 30A (not delivered yet), 360kv outrunner, UBEC to power servos and receiver.
What additional hardware do i need? As i understand, i need Racerstar StarF4S or usb serial adapter to install the firmware. I suppose adapter is better for me as i am not going to deal with quad-copters.
What is usb serial adapter? How can i choose right one? Could you give a link to aliexpress, for example?
I found "TZT CH340 Module USB to Serial Port for arduino","USB to serial port module CP2102" 5 pins out (5v/3v3/txd/rxd/gnd). "Silabs blheli usb adapter" 3 pins out (s/ /gnd).
What does mean modified for one wire?
Also i found tutorials how to connect blheli esc using arduino Nano. Does it work with ESC_Config_Tool?

2) Steps:
a) Choose right bootloader and firmware or i will brick esc. https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...orted-Hardware found RacerStar Tatoo 8A, so i guess i need PA2 bootloader and SISKIN_1.65.bin
firmware.
b) Connect ST-Link and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.
c) Using STM32CubeProgrammer erase esc memory and install bootloader.
d) Connect StarF4S/usb serial adapter(???) and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.
e) Using ESC_Config_Tool_1_68 install fimware.
What did i miss?

UPD
I found scheme how to connect 5 pin usb adapter to blheli. So i guess 5-pin, 3-pin adapters and arduino nano all are useable

Last edited by Pagu; 05-19-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Pagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagu View Post
Hello!

I am newb in blheli esc and trying to figure out how to do it.

Could you please help me or redirect to description or video for beginners? Im going to try configure esc for crawler.

1) Hardware:

I have st-link, RacerStar Tattoo 30A (not delivered yet), 360kv outrunner, UBEC to power servos and receiver.

What additional hardware do i need? As i understand, i need Racerstar StarF4S or usb serial adapter to install the firmware. I suppose adapter is better for me as i am not going to deal with quad-copters.

What is usb serial adapter? How can i choose right one? Could you give a link to aliexpress, for example?

I found "TZT CH340 Module USB to Serial Port for arduino","USB to serial port module CP2102" 5 pins out (5v/3v3/txd/rxd/gnd). "Silabs blheli usb adapter" 3 pins out (s/ /gnd).

What does mean modified for one wire?

Also i found tutorials how to connect blheli esc using arduino Nano. Does it work with ESC_Config_Tool?

2) Steps:

a) Choose right bootloader and firmware or i will brick esc. https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...orted-Hardware found RacerStar Tatoo 8A, so i guess i need PA2 bootloader and SISKIN_1.65.bin

firmware.

b) Connect ST-Link and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.

c) Using STM32CubeProgrammer erase esc memory and install bootloader.

d) Connect StarF4S/usb serial adapter(???) and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.

e) Using ESC_Config_Tool_1_68 install fimware.

What did i miss?

UPD

I found scheme how to connect 5 pin usb adapter to blheli. So i guess 5-pin, 3-pin adapters and arduino nano all are useable

Your steps don't appear to skip anything. There are better instructions available in the am32 github wiki now. Sorry for a super late reply, hopefully you got it working already.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #104

I'm at a loss right now. Totally new to Cube Programmer and STlink but I'm pretty good at following directions and studying the pictures. I'm following the directions on Alka Motors Github but I cant get an esc to connect to Cube Programmer. 2 different escs, wires soldered to SWC and SWD, connected to STlink correctly (I even slid the aluminum case off and looked at the board directly to make sure I had the correct pins), battery connected and plugged in to the computer. It seems to recognize the STlink but will not connect when I hit the button.
Really dont want to give up on this, anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
Glamisguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:25 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamisguy99 View Post
I'm following the directions on Alka Motors Github but I cant get an esc to connect to Cube Programmer. 2 different escs, wires soldered to SWC and SWD, connected to STlink correctly (I even slid the aluminum case off and looked at the board directly to make sure I had the correct pins), battery connected and plugged in to the computer. It seems to recognize the STlink but will not connect when I hit the button.
Might be the stlink is a bust...it happens ..just try another one.
Join us un slack too https://am32.slack.com/ssb/redirect
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Might be the stlink is a bust...it happens ..just try another one.
Join us un slack too https://am32.slack.com/ssb/redirect
Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion, I'll have to get another one.
Never heard of slack, I'll have to check it out.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

The stlink serial should be a dozen digits. If the stlink software only shows 1-3 digits for the sn there is a driver/software issue, and you won't be able to connect. Also a stlink with a solid red light is often a dead stlink.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
The stlink serial should be a dozen digits. If the stlink software only shows 1-3 digits for the sn there is a driver/software issue, and you won't be able to connect. Also a stlink with a solid red light is often a dead stlink.

I have another stlink on order. My serial is only a captial R and the light is on solid red. Hopefully the next one works. Thanks Voodoobrew for the reply.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

I would try pluging the stlink into the usb port. Open device manager and find the stlink and uninstall the driver. Then Uninstal the stlink program. Unplug the USB and any unnecessary hardware before restarting an reinstalling the stlink program.

I never had this issue but it has been an issue talked about in the am32 chat a few times.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I would try pluging the stlink into the usb port. Open device manager and find the stlink and uninstall the driver. Then Uninstal the stlink program. Unplug the USB and any unnecessary hardware before restarting an reinstalling the stlink program.

I never had this issue but it has been an issue talked about in the am32 chat a few times.

Thank you Voodoobrew and sorry it took so long to report back. The new st link solved the issue and I was able to flash your wraith_crawler 1.74 dixie full.bin file and get one going. Got it soldered up and ready to go in a buddies rig. We'll try it out and I'll come back with how it went in a few days.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #111

Hi, Everyone

Hoping to get some help with my Wraith32 AM32 flashing setup. I have followed all github tutorials and the youtube video from House of Voodoo and have been successful with the STLink flashing of the ESC (from what I can tell). When transitioning to my Arduino setup to flash firmware with the Serial Port Programmer I cannot get it to connect to the ESC. I have verified that my Arduino is setup correctly with a different ESC and BLHeli32 so it does not appear to be the issue. I did use the "full" bin file when flashing the ESC on the STLink just like the House of Voodoo video but that seems to be the only variable that I can think of that would be causing this connection issue. I have also tried a second ESC to eliminate this variable but the same result. Am I way off or is there something that I am missing? I would be happy to share any info about the process that I used and please bear with me as I am fairly new to using the STLink and Arduino. Let me know what you think and thank you very much for your time.
TOEDORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

The esc already is drivable or the full bin did not install correctly. So if your not getting beeps when you power it on you may have used the wrong .bin or a corrupt .bin or uploaded it to the wrong address

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 02-06-2022 at 09:09 AM.

Open source ESC and firmware - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OEM Castle Esc reflash firmware Di_Spencer Electronics 9 12-06-2016 11:36 PM
Open source chassis Savagethrash Axial XR10 2 03-22-2015 06:12 AM
TorqueMaster ESC 1.08 firmware released JohnRobHolmes Electronics 13 03-04-2011 06:23 AM
Xcelorin ESC firmware download Del Monte Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 03-09-2010 12:07 PM
Open source or free sw to replace Autocad setecastronomy Tools, and Procedures 16 04-28-2009 06:24 AM