Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: WarTrader's 2011 V1 Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

just how did you bend all thread stainless and delrin?

tips on how to would be fantastic
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Let me start all this off by thanking "XIRTIC" the design of these links are all his. He has been making and selling this style of links for some time. Now xirtic guided me in how to make these links, the thing is we are not sure how they will hold up as he has never put such sharp bends in them. I'm going to be testing these and if they hold up he may be offering them up as a future option through him.

After a lot of looking around and weighing the different options I like these the best. Aluminum is stong, good wieght, and decent prices, but I cannot stand how after a little use they get sticky and don't like to slide. I like titanium for obvious reasons strength, weight, and bling. Titaniums big draw back for me is price $80.00 for links just isn't in this builds budget at the moment. These links are reasonably priced, have a reasonable weight, and slide well. IMO they are a great middle of the road! They aren't the "best" in every catagory but the drawbacks are more minimal than the others. The other type is the CNC'd flat links like amny people run the thing I like about these with being round the have a smaller contact patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
You drilled all the way through the delrin rod end to end? How the heck did you get a hole that straight for that much distance

I can't get a bit to go straight in the rod for 4mm much less 4"

And then you put allthread through the rod and bent it all together? Dude... you have the patience of Job.

Hats off for all that
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
just how did you bend all thread stainless and delrin?

tips on how to would be fantastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
They sell delrin tube so you don't have to drill. I've been thinking about trying titanium all thread sleeved in delrin. In my case stainless sleeved in delrin is just to heavy when compared to aluminum links. Love this built wartrader been liking the build. Hope we comp sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Holy Cow... all this time I've been trying to drill into that blasted rod .

Now to cover everybodys comments and questions.

If you just slide some delrin tube over any old allthread like you would with brake line, your not going to end up with the same strength as these.

I thought about using titanium allthread as well but remembering back to a painful titanium failure induced mountain bike incident in my youth, I'm not very confident that will hold up well. Titanium is crazy strong for its weight but has one big drawback. It likes to fail at a cut notch aka a thread. Now I know what your going to say and yes I know you can thread titanium but you have to do it in an area where the stress is from stretching and compression. If you bend titanium at that notch(thread) you are going to creat a point of failure. Yeah I know the lunsfords everybody seems to be using are holding up well, but if you notice nobody is bending the threaded ends!

Next I bent these using a tubing bender (no not the crappy harbor freight variety). These links bend very nicely, the problem comes in when you realize you have to make another one that matches exactly. It takes a lot of time measuring, and sweat equity.

I've thought about using some aluminum jacketed upper links to cut down on weight but I like how the upper links look LOL. yeah I know..

Mnster I was looking foreward to meeting you at The Collosal Fossil Challenge, and I'm quite sure we will bump into one another at a comp soon and I look foreward to it!

Soo to sum up my long winded rant if your looking for links like these going foreward Message xirtic I know he would love to make you up a set. He's a great guy and fantastic to deal with. If however your looking for a bendy set your gonna have to wait to see if these hold up.

Last edited by WarTrader; 11-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #43
MWRCA'er

Yeah a hear you on that it seems every way possible to make links in plaqued with one problem or another. Aluminum snags on rocks but is light, delrin is either flexy or sleeved over steel and heavy. Titanium costs way to much for me to consider and not cheap to replace. Best all around and most durable is probably what you are running. So affordable and nearly cost free to replace.

Yeah I've got my berg torn apart for repairs maybe I'll see you at one of the scrc comps later this year. Sucks about the fossil gorge I used to go there alot.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

im still a bit confused ...

so the all thread SS goes in the delrin tubes and then you bend them? .... with a torch to soften the delrin but wont the delrin get to soft and get deforemd by the bender when you torch it at the same time???

i got these things in transit and would really appreciate if you can hook me up

thanks
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
im still a bit confused ...

so the all thread SS goes in the delrin tubes and then you bend them? .... with a torch to soften the delrin but wont the delrin get to soft and get deforemd by the bender when you torch it at the same time???

i got these things in transit and would really appreciate if you can hook me up

thanks
Like I said before you just bend it. Now I hope you understand that the way I did these may not hold up these are a expirement. As far as bending goes you have to be very careful not to stress he link too much your bends must transition very smoothly. Make sure you are using the correct sized dies in you Bender. The quality of the Bender really makes or breaks creating something like these. Then the crazy hard part is you have to create a exact duplicate I'd not the suspension will not work correctly.

I to be honest wouldn't reccomend this for somebody that isn't comfy with creating bent links already. If xirtic goes ahead and makes these he has a custom machined set up he uses that will make it a repetative process and ensure the links are exaactly the same
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #46
RCC Addict

I would HIGHLY discourage using a torch for this. I have in a pinch used a mini-butane torch for some bending, but it is very easy to overheat the delrin. For my production links, I use a heat gun to soften the delrin at the bend point while it is in my link building jig. I do not heat delrin to the point that it is "dripping"....just until the dulled surface looks like it is wet.

Wartrader is correct in stating the importance of the links all matching in terms of length and geometry. With the compound bends, it is very important to create a repeatable process...as it is VERY difficult to duplicate a link otherwise. My jigs are what make my process repeatable, and the links identical. I also keep a chart handy of raw material lengths so that I can easily end with the correct eye-to-eye lengths for the finished product, or easily figure out "custom length" links for special builds. It is a very flexible process.

I hope that his initial testing of these links is successful. It would be great to be able to offer this strong/slick alternative. I am hoping for the best possible outcome.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Default Front Half!

This morning I started work on the front axle. I tore it down to throw in the SDS Custom 300M 3rd, the RCbro's light weight 4th, not to mention I did buy this rig used and really wanted to check everything out! Well most everything was in order sept I discovered when someboy clocked the axle they messed up on one of the holes soo I ony have two screws holding one tube in, and the drag link was delrin and was showin some serious signs of being over stressed, and the aluminum endlinks while cool were bound up. So I threw together a new link.

Here are some pics of the reassembeled gear box, I didn't drill the front gears as I'm positive I will have to add wieght to the front axle. I would rather keep the weight in the axle than in the wheels.

Since I've got some major changes comming up in the very near future soo I'm not worried about fixing the messed up clocking. While I had it apart I decided to throw in the new servo a Hitec HS-7950TH. When installing it I used RC Bros Flush Mount servo clamps. When I bought the rig it came with a RCinnovations OTA steering set up which for the time being will stay put.

While everything was apart I also decided to shave the front bolt on the gearbox, and rounded things off a little.

Well I'm still missing a few things to get this thing to roller status. I doubt I'll get this done today.. I've gotten a lazy Sunday afternoon planed (napping through a football game).

I'll probably get to the front links tomorrow after work. Soo Stay tuned I got a idea I wanna try, but it may have to wait till the front axle 100% Done

Last edited by WarTrader; 11-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Default Front Links

Well the Bears won and I couldn't sleep so I got out my drafting stuff and drew up some front links. I'm old school what can I say! I then threw these together.

Yes I know they look off but until the other links and shocks are bolted up nothing wil really line up and look right.

To be honest I'm reconsidering the upper links. I think I may redo the upper links in the future. Maybe from Aluminum just to drop some weight? I'm waiting to see if what my final weight is. I have a number in my head that I'm gunning for.

Last edited by WarTrader; 11-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #49

YEAH!!!!Da BEARS!!!!! I am a fan if you can't tell.

The rig is looking good. I just bought a bully roller for cheap, hoping to get it all ready for next years spring and summer crawls, again, looking forward to the Fossil challenge next year, looking to do better than this year.

Staying tuned to see what happens.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster Joe View Post
YEAH!!!!Da BEARS!!!!! I am a fan if you can't tell.

The rig is looking good. I just bought a bully roller for cheap, hoping to get it all ready for next years spring and summer crawls, again, looking forward to the Fossil challenge next year, looking to do better than this year.

Staying tuned to see what happens.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear your getting a new rig! You know as of right now there will be no more comps or crawling at fossil gorge! I guess the powers that be decided that it is for fossil gazers ONLY! The guys at IARock are working to get this changed but for now they are looking at some other locals. They got another sweet spot that looks more technical than the gorge and is close to the gorge. I'm hoping to get out there and hook up with them for a run there before the Snow flys but it's not looking good... I love running on real rock compared to rip rap, I just hate the feeling of it's not about clearing gates but more about not falling in that big bleeping hole over there, but you gotta work with what you have!

Either way I think they will have another fun comp this spring summer! Their club is growing, besides they area great bunch of guys each more fiendly than the last. Keep an eye out on IaRock.org !

Last edited by WarTrader; 11-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Hey, I thought I was the IaROCK Pimp We try our damndest.

I like the home built parts. This one is gettin good
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bart bender;2743477
Hey, I thought I was the IaROCK Pimp We try our damndest.

I like the home built parts. This one is gettin good
Thanks I'd love to do a lot more parts for my rigs but I never seem to have the time.

Well I had a blast at the challenge and im just speaking the truth. I look foreward to getting out that way again but the holidays are stupid busy at work .......
Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #53

Well, if they say we can't then we will do it anyway. We are fossil gazers, i looked at them as my rig drove over them, it is not like we are damaging them, people walk on them for god sakes. And you mean to tell me that there aren't some kids trying to remove some. Oh well, I am still looking forward to next year and trying to travel to comp some more.

I ranted, sorry, love the rig.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Good job, get to the electronics. Thats my favorite part of any build.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster Joe View Post
Well, if they say we can't then we will do it anyway. We are fossil gazers, i looked at them as my rig drove over them, it is not like we are damaging them, people walk on them for god sakes. And you mean to tell me that there aren't some kids trying to remove some. Oh well, I am still looking forward to next year and trying to travel to comp some more.

I ranted, sorry, love the rig.
It's best we just let it be and let mad dawg from IaRock work on getting permission that making them angry and get us fined! It really doesn't make me happy either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Good job, get to the electronics. Thats my favorite part of any build.
Thanks to both of you!

I'm waitng for some plugs and stuff to clean the wiring up. The wiring is all soldered and ready to go. If the plugs don't make it today-tomorrow I'm going to throw them in and take it for a spin.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Default It's a ROLLER

Last night I made the upper links. Today I finished bolting things together. It is together enough to run just to see if the links are working right which I might add they appear to be! I still have a good bit left to get sorted out and I would like to drive it before I gotta tear the front apart for all the stuff that is going to happen there.

Last edited by WarTrader; 11-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Hello,

those links are awesome

...make me thinking...

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frank View Post
Hello,

those links are awesome

...make me thinking...

Greetings Frank
Thanks, I'm hoping soon if these test to be reliable Xirtic will be offering them for sale!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

The lines in this pic are killer
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Those wheels do look really good. Was thinking about getting them.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote