Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: WarTrader's 2011 V1 Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

The axles look incredible! I'm curious to see the xr t1e on a berg

Last edited by DickyT; 12-21-2010 at 04:39 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
The axles look incredible! I'm curious to see the xr t1e on a berg
Thanks Bryan at Clover Custom Designs does some amazing work. The Tubes he designs are just over the top! They are exactly what I wanted for this build. The design is simple, for the sake of reliability I wanted to avoid having a bunch of bolt together parts, while being light weight, and not having to make any strength tradeoff's. My ultimate goal is a rig that I can just grab and drive with minimal wrench time when preparing for a comp! The steering job he did for me is fantastic. I just cannot say that enough!

I'm going to make a battery tray, and mount it to the rear of the front axle. The thing here is I like to use bent lower links on the front, the new T1E chassis come with a higher clearance lower front link. With the higher clearance of the front of the T1E chassis will ensure I won't have any clearance/binding issues with my upper front links! I know others are running traditional moonbuggy chassis's with this set up but I like to be different LOL... If we all did the same thing we'd all still be driving ax10's!

Last edited by WarTrader; 12-21-2010 at 05:23 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

I am glad you like the axle tubes. I have some other goodies coming very soon. I have the same chassis and it works great and looks awesome. If I can help you in anyway please feel free to let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan
66bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Amazing axle's My son has a BJv4/berg we are building. Its a great chassis.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bronco View Post
I am glad you like the axle tubes. I have some other goodies coming very soon. I have the same chassis and it works great and looks awesome. If I can help you in anyway please feel free to let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan
Bro I love the tubes I had been searching for a few months to find the right fit for my build! They are fantastic... The work you did on the steering was over the top as well thanks again!

I know you do damn you LOL.... Just PM the cost for a gear Jig, a pair of upper links and two "Paper Weights" when you get the prices nailed down! I'll try and work a little extra OT to get my PayPal all filled up LOL.

Now you know me and my questions, soo sorry in advance. Gimmie the particularson the gearboxes err umm "paperweights".. Will the motor be lower? Will the come drilled to allow for clocking? Yeah I know me and my fanaticism with clocking. Reason why I'm intrested is if they are drilled front and rear say 20* that would flatten out the mounting of the links and shocks front and rear. On the front with the axial C's that would allow you to be clocked and then play with caster while keeping the mounting for the links/shocks relitively flat! Last question is the upper link mounts, got any better pics yet ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Amazing axle's My son has a BJv4/berg we are building. Its a great chassis.
The V4 is a great chassis and I'm going to be remaking some links and I want to spend a little time getting it dialed in! I'm also going to be hanging my axles on the T1E's for comparison. I want to give both some driving time and will go with the one I like best before my clubs summer comp series gets started in the spring!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Well with my front axle back I got working a little today. I disassembled both axles drilled the gears in the front axle. I've got some more work to do on the front gear case anyway.

I have a pair of Vanquish DH ProComp II's that came in on Friday. Those will probably end up on My V2 Berg. Besides I want a set of black .7 V4 SLW's for the rear soo I'm going to shelve those for a short while. Besides the BAD wheels I have on there now I'm in love with and are going to look and Work sick with the next thing I'm waiting for!

I'm hoping that next weekend I can get a lot done and get this thing up and running again but I have a boat load of work to do before I get there!
Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Well with my front axle back I got working a little today. I disassembled both axles drilled the gears in the front axle. I've got some more work to do on the front gear case anyway.
Did you get a jig from Bryan for the gears???

Neil
nsg1rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Nope... Did them without.. they aren't as perfect as I'd like, but as my wife puts it, what I'm unhappy with 95%, of people feel is flawless LOL..

They are identical to these as I used the first set of gears I did as a template!

Before.

After

I have a extra set sitting here incase something doesn't work out but I doubt that will be the case! I would still like to get a jig to do this so I could ensure that the balance is better!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Finally work is calming down for a couple weeks and I can get some work done!
After Bryan at Clover Custom Designs got my front axle back to me I decided to get them set up the way I wanted! (Well till he gets his next round of Clover Custom Design goodness ready) I was really tired of looking at the half anno'd gear cases and upper link mounts. I broke down both axles and used some easy off to strip them down. I did a little more rounding off nothing to extreme. Once that was all done I decided to give them a quick hit with a polishing wheel nothing too indepth here either I'm not sure how long these boxes are going to be around. considering I've already drilled gears I decided to turn my attention to the upper link mounts! I didn't go quite as nuts with the front since Bryan removed a nice chunck for servo clearance when he set up the axle.

Well now I'll get to the fun part the pics enjoy.

I started this morning looking like this!

I forgot to take pics of my work before I assembled the axles soo sorry if the angles aren't the best.

Gear boxes minus the ugly gray!

Here is what I did with the upper link mounts.

Front:

Rear:

Tomorrow I'm moving on to doing some mod work on my new T1E Chassis, getting my shocks ready, and hopefully getting the links set up.

Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

It'll never work....way to organized

j/k I like the housing work. Just got doing some that looks similar. SHINY

TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
It'll never work....way to organized

j/k I like the housing work. Just got doing some that looks similar. SHINY

My wife tells me my organization is a skickness LOL! In all honesty I have soo little room in my workshop I gotta stay orginized... at least that is what I tell myself ..

I got my shocks done today. I'm switching to BigBores, using mini springs and Dr. Frank spring cups.

I also started making a new skidplate for the chassis. I'm not using the stock skidplate/battery mount. I'm going to make a front axle mounted battery tray. I'm trying to move the crawlers exhisting weight as smart as possible. I've used the T1E's battery tray in the past and love it. It is a fantastic design but, I'm trying to minimize weight soo and using the exhisting weight as smart as possible. Moving the battery up on the front axle while keeping it down low is a bonus in my eyes. I'm really hoping to minimize the wheel weights to help increase reliability.

I'm probably going to get a lot of greif at times in this build as I'm going to experiment. I know a lot of what I have planned has been tried by others with mixed results. Time is going to tell.

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-01-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Are you planning to mount a battery tray onto the gearbox? If you are what battery are you running? Looked at doing something like this, but the 1300mah batteries are too big in my view. know a few are running 850s or something like that
Cheers
Darren
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka child View Post
Are you planning to mount a battery tray onto the gearbox? If you are what battery are you running? Looked at doing something like this, but the 1300mah batteries are too big in my view. know a few are running 850s or something like that
Cheers
Darren
the 850's fit perfectly. The cheapbatterypacks.com fit just a bit better IMO than the ThunderPower.
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

I had some more free time today. I started by making a new skidplate for the the T1E chassis. I then got my electronics mounted up and ready for install My goal is I want to be able to take out two screws and drop the electronics out without having to pull body panels or linkage.

I got the shocks all set up yesterday using shock cups from Dr. Frank. I'm using associate mini springs at the moment. I have to tune the shocks I thought they felt too stiff but once they were mounted up the fell just about right time will tell.

The rear axle slid right in with not problems. I'm really loving this chassis. It seems very adjustable. I'm going to stick with the T1E lower links and and the upper links I made. I'm pretty sure the front links will all be replaced.

The front went in equally smooth but it is just mocked up. I'm looking at what kinda space I'm going to have for a gearbox mounted battery tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka child View Post
Cheers
Darren
Quote:
Originally Posted by khwilliams View Post
the 850's fit perfectly. The cheapbatterypacks.com fit just a bit better IMO than the ThunderPower.
I am going to mount the battery tray on the gearbox. I know exactly what you mean about it being a tight fit for anything but smaller batteries especially if your front axle is clocked! This is why I wanted to move the the XR10 Moonbuggy chassis. The front of the chassis is designed to allow more upper link clearance for the XR10 axles. I'm going to use this space to custom make some bent upper links that will allow me enough room to mount batteries bigger than 850Mah. I comp with 850Mah batteries ThunderPower 45C's fron www.cheapbatterypacks.com but the run time leave me a little wanting for practice and just general bashing. I'm also wanting to set this up this way to allow me to use battery weight as a tuning tool. I'm hoping if this works it will allow me to qucking adjust for a course by simply changing the size of the battery I'm putting in...

Now I also opened a box I've been waiting for hehe.. Check this out...

I had been checking Vanquish's site morning noon and night and pulled the trigger soon as I saw them available. I'm really really blown away by these. Now I just have to figure out what shoes they are going to get! I'm thinking I may just wrap them in a set of boss claws or haters ..

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-02-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Holy crap man. Have you even scratched the other bling? They look NICE
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
Holy crap man. Have you even scratched the other bling? They look NICE
The answer to that is no... Now I'm just waiting for the matching SLW's been watching and waiting for those too.

Well I guess I should mention this....

I err seem to have a addiction to shiny, annodized aluminum, especially where wheels are concerned. I've been fighiting this addiction for some time and as you can see LOOSING....

In all honesty I'm really blown away by how much adjustability are built into these! I also like how they drilled airholes in the wheel that are plugged with set screws soo you can adjust how much air is moving without unmounting the tire! But the BAD wheels are just soo soo freaking sexy! LOL

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-02-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Talking

Well after a few days of hairpulling I finally got things mostly the way I want. I went back to running the Y-Town V4 Chassis, because the geometry worked out slightly better for me. It has a lot to do with the width of the chassis.

I really struggled with the front links. I just couldn't seem to figure out why I couldn't gain enough clearance to mount my battery on the back of the gearbox. I would like to thank Mad Dawg and Bart Bender for some insight that allowed me to see the problem.

Running the Clover Custom Design Tubes clocked it pushed up my link mounts. Well I made a set of lower links to solve that little problem. Then I moved on to the upper links. I spent at least two hours getting these things where I wanted them for the battery mount.

The battery mount is temporary. I've ordered some thinner delrin to make another tray that will flex just a little. Right now the only time this is an issue is under full compression. I think that will be solved once I get the shock mounted where they work best for me??

The rear lower links I made previously bent at the lower portion of the S bend. I think I know how to make another set that will hold up. I have to say it will be a little while for that I'm pretty tired of making links. I have a pile of links on my bench right now that I made trying to get the front of this thing the way I wanted. I'm gonna run the good ole stand by for a little bit T1E's.

I did find one great way of picking up some gorund clearance. I had Novas Ark make me some 6" Sedona's. Sedona's have been my favorite tire since I mounted my first set. I would really like to thank Nova's Ark for his work. I really wish I could master that skill all I seem to be able to make regularly is expensive rubber bits..

The V4 being narrow really helps with steering! Even with 6" tires.

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #98
RCC Addict

that rig looks terrible! send it to me. lol jk looks great man. hope to see you and it in action soon.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Did you have to turn down your steering to keep those 6"ers from grabbing your links and shocks?

It looks good!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

It will NEVER work!!

I think you should send it to me and I will send you stock V1 axles and a brand new V4 chassis so you can start over.

just kidding...It is great inspiration for me to build mine. Now if I could just find my motivation......I know it's around here somewhere.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote