Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: My Berg Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Berg Rebuild

The claws work great! I did have to add some weight to them to get my bias where I like it. Total weight of a Boss Claw with the 5.25" Soft/closed cell combo and a Mayhem 1" wheel is 7.5oz. I'm running the 5.25" set up with medium outers in the rear. I've also gone back to the previous "center" bias setup. The forward way worked well but I didn't have the patience to adjust to it mid-season. I ran it for 1 comp and that was it.

Last edited by helhedded; 06-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #142
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Glad you are liking the Boss Claws with the new 5.25" CC DD Foams. Rig looks good to Ashton. I'm excited to see you at ECC.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Boss Claws?!?!?

Blasphemy....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Glad you are liking the Boss Claws with the new 5.25" CC DD Foams. Rig looks good to Ashton. I'm excited to see you at ECC.
It will be good to see yas again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Boss Claws?!?!?

Blasphemy....
and red! OMG
Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Did you add the weight in the wheels or do you have Knuckle weights that you added to?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Did you add the weight in the wheels or do you have Knuckle weights that you added to?

I added about 1.5 oz to each closed cell inner. I used lead weights that are in 1/2 oz increments. These are the normal kind that come in strips. The shape is way to tall to fit in a inner without poking out so I squeezed them into a short and square shape with my table vise. Next I drilled a hole that was smaller than the weight which allows for them to be popped in without getting knocked out.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Also keep in mind that I run weight in my front Khaos tires too. So the added weight to the foam for the Claw wasn't just because the tires are lighter, it's because I have a predetermined value at what a front wheel on my rig should weigh with the SS. (which is 9-10oz)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

So I'm trying something that's kinda new? eh? I give credit to my team mate/nemesis Szczerba for fueling the fire that motivated this.

Moonbuggy + Rockshow SS = SS Hybrid

My reason for using the Moonbuggy was that the sideplates were drilled differently than the SS leaving more room and better alignment for upper link holes. I hope you've guess it by now, yes this rig is losing weight.

Last edited by helhedded; 06-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #149
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Nice work
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Cool idea. Why not drill the ss chassis? Is that just in case you want to go back? Generally...that stance is how my ss xr ended up.

Nice work.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Nice work
Thanks

Quote:
Cool idea. Why not drill the ss chassis? Is that just in case you want to go back? Generally...that stance is how my ss xr ended up.

Nice work.
Thanks

If I want to go back for whatever reason I could but that's not why I went with the moonbuggy sideplate. If you look at the holes on the SS (pictured left) and try to draw more going straight down you can't do it without getting dangerously close to the edge or relocating the holes more to the center. You can do this with the moonbuggy plates (pictured right). I didn't want to change the length of my uppers to try this out so I figured that it would be best to do it this way.

Last edited by helhedded; 06-04-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #152
Rock Crawler

Looks Good!
We are on the same page Well kind of mine is on xr10 axles but added some more adjustment also.

Last edited by Vertec; 06-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Cool! I figured as T1E guys went lighter they would start drilling for lower upper link holes.

I hate to say it but it does look like it might be shorter than 3.75" tall. Have you checked it?
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Looks Good!
We are on the same page Well kind of mine is on xr10 axles but added some more adjustment also.
Nice! have you ran it yet? I'm not done yet, I still need to trim the front section of the cab like I did the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Cool! I figured as T1E guys went lighter they would start drilling for lower upper link holes.

I hate to say it but it does look like it might be shorter than 3.75" tall. Have you checked it?
Yup, it's legal. You had me worried for a second so I had to go grab the calipers and get precise with it

Last edited by helhedded; 06-04-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

I like the flat rear uppers Are the front uppers lower at the chassis than at the axle? Hard to tell if they are or if its just the bend.

Did your ground clearance change any? Definitely looking forward to your impressions.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #156
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Nice! have you ran it yet? I'm not done yet, I still need to trim the front section of the cab like I did the rear.
Got a few packs in today and it made feel like i was alot better driver than i really im. Got to do some shock limiting and things but ive never been able to drive it before like i did today.

Quote:
Yup, it's legal. You had me worried for a second so I had to go grab the calipers and get precise with it
Mine was to far off ended up having to making a new cab.
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. I told you it would work. Well as far as cutting up the moonbuggy and making it work with the SS cab.

But does it crawl?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

That looks really good. I like the look
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like the flat rear uppers Are the front uppers lower at the chassis than at the axle? Hard to tell if they are or if its just the bend.

Did your ground clearance change any? Definitely looking forward to your impressions.
The front looks to be pretty even but the bend does mess with your eyes. Ground clearance dimensions didn't change at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Got a few packs in today and it made feel like i was alot better driver than i really im. Got to do some shock limiting and things but ive never been able to drive it before like i did today.
The suspension is more forgiving now it seems. I ran all sunday morning down at the lake and I was very happy about how it performed. The weight that I was running at was 4.8lbs so combine that with some Holmes Crawlmaster 16ts and it was like a completely different rig. The wheel speed was amazing and I was able to jump some pretty nice gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Looks good. I told you it would work. Well as far as cutting up the moonbuggy and making it work with the SS cab.

But does it crawl?
You agreed that it would work after I told you it would work

Yes. It crawls. Right now the axles are in pieces, though. I'm a little obsessive about opening them up and checking shat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
That looks really good. I like the look
Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Right now the axles are in pieces, though. I'm a little obsessive about opening them up and checking shat out.
More people should be It's only removing the wheel (don't really have to) and then 3-4 screws and you've got the case apart...the XR guys wish they could say the same thing
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote