Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dlux Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #1361
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dlux Berg Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Thanks for the video. I think I need to study sidehills more. I dont get it. I dont understand how your car would do that. My best guess would say that the up hill axles are pulling into the chassis but the video sure does say otherwise. Gotta be 8*?
If I'm remembering correctly that is an effect of getting your roll center above the sprung COG. The down side to this is that there is very little feedback before your rig decides it wants to play dead and flop over

Of course this comes from the 1:1 world...so it may not apply.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #1362
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I could see roll center playing a part but I would guess that a low roll center (not high) would be key? Looks like Harvo is back to being super triangulated and even more than I on his lowers since he runs a skinnier skid.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #1363
TSK
Shelf queen

I'm really enjoying hearing all these thought and ideas on the geo and forces they act/react upon.

In Harvo's video, I also find it interesting that it looks like the rear inside tire is also lifting quite a bit initially (could just be my eyes playing tricks on me) Being that I have a belief that the diagonally opposing tire (and it's suspension geo/actions/reactions) have the greatest impact on what said tire is doing. So when I see that video, to me it is a combination of the right front corners desire to squat/dive (through geo) and/or applied force (the left rear corners desire for anti squat)

I could be just talking out of my ass though

Last edited by TSK; 04-24-2014 at 02:04 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #1364
I wanna be Dave

The uphill rear tire does get very light... and that is what I am in the process of trying to tune out. I haven't figured out how yet though.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #1365
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
The uphill rear tire does get very light... and that is what I am in the process of trying to tune out. I haven't figured out how yet though.
Is it really an issue on actual rock where the traction is less than that carpet?
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #1366
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Is it really an issue on actual rock where the traction is less than that carpet?
Yeah, at ECC the rear uphill tire lifted off the rock on gate 2 of the finals course. Luckily I was able to jam the front tires into the opposing climb before it went far enough to flip the truck. Otherwise it would have tumbled into the boundary. I didn't see any other truck do that, so it is a problem I need to work out.

The carpet just makes it happen when I need it to and exaggerates it a little more so I can try to tell why.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #1367
I wanna be Dave

ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #1368
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, at ECC the rear uphill tire lifted off the rock on gate 2 of the finals course. Luckily I was able to jam the front tires into the opposing climb before it went far enough to flip the truck.
I actually seen it when this happened. 'Twas right on the verge.

Edit:was this gate here Harvey is referring to. (Pic via Sven) as you drove further towards the transition it gets a lot steeper than where winnerones truck is here by several degrees.

Last edited by TEDROCKZ; 04-24-2014 at 08:18 PM.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #1369
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Steve for posting that here. It was just past that dark spot on the rock where the side hill got really crazy.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #1370
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
In Harvo's video, I also find it interesting that it looks like the rear inside tire is also lifting quite a bit initially (could just be my eyes playing tricks on me) Being that I have a belief that the diagonally opposing tire (and it's suspension geo/actions/reactions) have the greatest impact on what said tire is doing. So when I see that video, to me it is a combination of the right front corners desire to squat/dive (through geo) and/or applied force (the left rear corners desire for anti squat)
Quote:
I think thats a pretty good take on it TSK. The video really looks like its the body flexing uphill but I just dont understand it. I would guess that its more like the up hill tires want to tuck into the chassis, reducing the forces on the shocks/springs and that just makes the body tilt, kinda like the front wanting to tuck into the chassis on a climb. It sure does look better but when your front wants to tuck that hard, all its really doing is pulling weight off the rock while it pulls the chassis down. IMO, the concern should be the tires coming off the rock, not the chassis separating from the axles on the up hill side.

Harvo, since your starting somewhat fresh, why dont we really fix that sidehill stuff with some non 8* chubs?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #1371
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Harvo, since your starting somewhat fresh, why dont we really fix that sidehill stuff with some non 8* chubs?
I just change the holes I use in the knuckles right? Who makes non 8* chubs in the diameter that I need for my tubes?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #1372
Rock Crawler

That Winnerone is a sexy sonofabitch. Just putting that out there. You freak.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #1373
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
I just change the holes I use in the knuckles right? Who makes non 8* chubs in the diameter that I need for my tubes?
I think all non 8* chubs will be of a smaller ID. Perhaps a local machinist could just bore them out for you. I know it's a super small difference, so maybe even a dremel with a sanding drum could knock enough off without making it too wonky.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #1374
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You use AX10 C's. That is what Erik sells on his site and sold to me with my axles. Then you can switch back and forth at will
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #1375
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_session_please View Post
You use AX10 C's. That is what Erik sells on his site and sold to me with my axles. Then you can switch back and forth at will
The AX and XR chubs have a different tube ID.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #1376
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
The AX and XR chubs have a different tube ID.
Then I guess he needs to get new front tubes and then use the AX10 C's. Two tubes by them selves should be fairly inexpensive. But being Erik's tester I am sure he could get a good deal!

Last edited by Session; 04-28-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #1377
I've got a STUBBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_session_please View Post
Then I guess he needs to get new front tubes and then use the AX10 C's. Two tubes by them selves should be fairly inexpensive. But being Erik's tester I am sure he could get a good deal!
Harvos build thread shows 8* scx chubs! the axial non 8* will slide straight onto his tubes if this is still how he is running.

Josh
Joshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #1378
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Joshie knows!

This is why I have always suggested the AX10 diameter tubes. That way you can freely swap back and forth from 8 to non.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #1379
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

It was great to finally get my hands on your rig this weekend and see all of your bitchin' tunes. I love the weights that are in and out of the wheel/tire at the same time. Way cool. I had a blast free crawling for a couple hours after the pro courses Sat. Looking forward to June.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #1380
Wanna get? Gotta want.

It was a great time running with you and Jake! Fun crawling was icing on the cake. Its crazy how you can have 3 totally different cars doing the same lines equally as well. Not sure that makes sense to me.

I am looking forward to putting your name on some of these bounty lines over here.