Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Need some advice on a budget FOFF build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need some advice on a budget FOFF build

So the local crawling scene here is starting to suck. Everybody is copying everybody and its hard to be original. I own a bit of land and we have a ton of giant hillls with no vegitation and lots of loose soil...so i thought it would be awesome to make a FOFF build.

I dont need a "comp ready rig" I just want to throw some roost and have a good time.

I already have an scx10 frame and skid, stock shocks, a new 4 pole VXL setup, a hitch 5646WP servo, and scx10 MIP driveshafts.

What im wondering is whats a good wheelbase to attempt to use? I plan on making my own links to keep costs low. Besides buying a body and link material hoping to have a 0 cost play rig.

Also whats the best axles to look out for? scx10 or wraith axles?
jtessmer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Need some advice on a budget FOFF build

Most of the guys I do hill climbing with are ar60 based. ours is more of a bouncer type with gnarly rooted and rocked banks, loose soil, just pretty nasty. One of the guys runs a 4000kv in a lowered ax10 and can squeeze in between more obstacles but its a trade off. In the process of building my dad a yeti for this right now
lawhorn_derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need some advice on a budget FOFF build

I've built 2 Foff's, one sxc10 and wraith axles. Both will do the job, the scx are a bit narrower but you could get some wheel widners. The Wraith, AR60, axles are more stable. Go with what you have to start and get slingin'
On the the wheel base. First you have to consider which body you'll be using, that will determine your link lengths. Both of my rigs were right at 13.5 ". If you have an Ace Hardware close by check them out. They should have 8/32" all thread in 12" lengths so get a few. Then looks for SS tubing that will slide over the all thread, the size escapes me at the moment.

Good luck.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some advice on a budget FOFF build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice requested planning a budget SCX10 jeep kit build theTman Axial SCX-10 41 11-21-2014 01:14 PM
Foff wheel advice dittohead Formula Offroad 8 12-16-2013 09:03 AM
Transmission Advice On a Budget!!! alexchen86 Axial Wraith 4 04-25-2013 03:41 PM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
Need ESC and Motor advice (on a budget) JACZOR Electronics 1 01-07-2011 05:06 AM