Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Got the R1 itch - Concerns ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Got the R1 itch - Concerns ...

Hey guys, currently have a Losi MRC (it is sweet) and a Wraith (my best rig) - BUT i've just gotta get an R1.

I have read all the threads here - seems 2 biggest issues are the portal output pins breaking and the leaky shocks.

However - my experience is that only people with problems post a thread - all others who have no problem dont post - cause there is no reason.

My questions are:
1. Are the portal output pins breaking off really that big of a problem?
2. Do the stock shocks really suck that much?

i wont be doing any comps - just some trails and light crawling.

All you guys R1 expert opinions would be appreciated.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Got the R1 itch - Concerns ...

Not sure on the portal pins. I had zero issues with them.
I had a crazy fast outrunner motor on 3S in the Buggy setup, didn't break any. Then I had some R1 axles on a 9lb JK rig with 4WS.

Only issues I ran into was keeping the bearings together on the portal gears. The small bearings. Traxxas makes some bushings the same size but I sold the JK before I tired them out. But that that was on the 9lb JK.

Szczerba's JK (Minus some doors)

Shane's GMade R1 Rock Buggy Build
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

i havent ran mine yet, waiting on a servo.. but it looks stout.. but im looking looking to do trails bashing and light crawling with it also.. i got a mad torque coming in the mail for a full time purpose crawler build....
mobbing50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Turn the stock shocks upside down. fixes the leaky problem
weeble163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Tighten the shocks with a better wrench instead of what comes in the kit an yes run them upside down,also the outer hub axle pins are brittle junk steel,i changed all mine to traxxas pins havent broke any again, other than that awsome trail/crawler,added the junfac lights in the front for nite time running,oh yeah watch those beadlock rings cheap plastic they will crack when you tighten the beadlock bolts down.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

SOunds pretty good so far guys. I'll ditch the wheels and tires. I love my motoworx wheels and rover tires. motorowrx wheels give a little wider stance, more steering, built in weight since they are alum and very strong - pluys they look cool.

I dont have a manual - but the pins are not "built into the stub"? If I can use traxxas - pins - I think Im sold. I can deal with the shocks, but dont wannt be breaking pins all the time and be outta commission.

So far doesnt seem like anyone is trying to talk me out of getting one !!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Iam talking about the outer axle stub that the 12mm hex goes onto then the axle nut goes onto to tighten your wheels too, that hex pin will break very easy when you put your wheels on an tighten that axle nut down, thats the pin i switched to traxxas pins ,, (from a slash 2wd truck) yes the inner portal shaft has a pin on it but i never broke that one its still in there holding up just fine.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Oh, OK crawler nut - I understand. I have read about alot of problems with the portal output shats - but now it seems like not that big a problem. Likely guys doing some crazy stuff - or caught in a bind.

But I am confused - in your Steering Upgrade thread - it looks like you broke both front portal pins ... and twisted dogbones in half...

Last edited by bbking9; 03-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
Hey guys, currently have a Losi MRC (it is sweet) and a Wraith (my best rig) - BUT i've just gotta get an R1.

I have read all the threads here - seems 2 biggest issues are the portal output pins breaking and the leaky shocks.

However - my experience is that only people with problems post a thread - all others who have no problem dont post - cause there is no reason.

My questions are:
1. Are the portal output pins breaking off really that big of a problem?
2. Do the stock shocks really suck that much?

i wont be doing any comps - just some trails and light crawling.

All you guys R1 expert opinions would be appreciated.
The R1 is sort of a cross between a comp TVP crawler and a rock racer KOH buggy...sort of like the Crawler King is a cross between a lifted monster truck and an entry level crawler (based on axles).

I wanted an R1 for a long time as one of our local guys has been tweaking his with almost every option part...plus he made a lot of his own mods as well so it performs very well for a shafty. Then the Wraith kit came out and I was sold...currently have a 16T CM on 3s.

He has reported no issues with it but then again he's a much better driver than me lol. It took me a while to learn how to drive my shafty w/o breaking anything.

I'd say just get it and repair as you go just like any other rig.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey Alex, thanks from the comments from a fellow Houstonian (born and raised in Houston living in Dallas now).

Thats what Im thinking. I run my Wraith hard and have not broken anything.

Think I'll just bite the bullet.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yep broke both front portal dog bone ends twice,one twisted the end right off then the other side broke the pin that goes thru the dogbone, I run the proline swampers ,trying to climb up a ledge it was hopping up an down i was getting in the throttle at the same time ,snap, it has done this twice, thats why i went with the wk cvds an knuckle mod, end of problems plus gained some extra steering.I think i just run mine harder than i should?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

crawlernut - I might guess by your name here - you might go a little crazy every now and then...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

bbking9,

If you look in my JK thread post #15 and post #48 . There are some steering improvements. All can be bought from RCP Crawlers. Post #48 covers the rear steering but shows all the parts to do it laid out.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
bbking9,

If you look in my JK thread post #15 and post #48 . There are some steering improvements. All can be bought from RCP Crawlers. Post #48 covers the rear steering but shows all the parts to do it laid out.

Thanks Szczerba (can I buy a vowel please) - I'll check it out. Never had rear steer Kinda like the idea.

Thanks for all the help on here guys.

Just checked your build. NICE. Looks like you may be using a shorter standoff for the upper shock mount as well??

Last edited by bbking9; 03-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I did the crawlernut mod and no more issues with broke outers. Also replaced all the bearings as the ones from Gmade are sub standard IMO. Highly recommend Ripper77777 delrin skid plate to move bent lower links inboard. Wheels and tires need to be upgraded sounds like you have that handled. Waiting on 4ws kit to arrive. I live in DFW lmk if you want to do rock crawling as I know of a couple of good spots. Enjoy!
Flash Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

OK - slightly confused - the more I read...

Too fix the portal shaft problem and maybe get a little more steering, i have 2 options (is this correct)??"

1. TLT CVDs - require some mods of course to the CVD and the stock knuckle - correct?

2. WK universals (or Integy universals for the WK) and WK steering knuckles??

are the WK knuckles a drop in replacement for stock knuckles??

I also would like to use lock nuts on the wheels - not screws - so I guess this eliminates the TLT CVD mod??

Help - before my little pea brain explodes.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

WK aluminum knuckles are a direct fit (drop in) remember if you use the wk cvds you gotta cut them down to length an file a new flat on them ( the key part that fits the inner portal gear) all your stock bearings are the same for the wk knuckle, i went ahead an still dremelled alittle on the tierod knuckle arm this gained alittle more for tighter turning( just a option) actually pretty easy mod to do,mine is holding up just fine! havent broke anything in the steering since doing this,
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks crawlernut - That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Yea - I know i will have to cut down the universals and file a flat spot - no problem.

Last question - sort of - with this mod - I can run some weight in the stock front wheels - or just install some heavier alum beadlocks. Stock wheels are OK - but not a fan of plastic wheels.

I guess I was reading that without this mod some people did not add weight since adding weight just put more pressure on the stock portal shafts.

Last edited by bbking9; 03-29-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Not to horn in on your thread, bbking9, but I'm also considering an R1. Have always liked the looks of it and the axle design should offer more clearance.

Are you planning on making it mostly a crawler? With your research, how does an R1 compare with an AX10 with similar electronics? AX10 parts are plentiful (well, when Axial gets back into supply mode), but R1 parts aren't handled by many. Is this a concern?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

BBKING, iam not running any weight in my tires or on my axles anywhere, i built mine to be light as possible,its fun to jump, slid sideways, an still be able to do some rock crawling .

Got the R1 itch - Concerns ... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCC QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS...help!!! Bu1seabee Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 03-03-2010 05:00 PM
Concerns about CC MM - need a little help please. O.C.D. Electronics 16 03-23-2008 01:29 AM
Classified Section Concerns JIA's Dad Comments, Suggestions, and Help 30 03-10-2007 01:28 PM
Mamba Max concerns?!?! kerrywittig Electronics 7 12-14-2006 12:35 PM
Mamba 25 concerns mrwonderful Electronics 4 10-31-2006 09:52 AM