Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Motor Clearance Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor Clearance Issues

Guys, I am looking at installing an RC4WD R2 transmission in my R1 and am worried about how I'm going to shoe-horn the dig-servo, tranny, and motor into the little beast. I'm looking to go with a 55T brushed motor. Clearly what I am looking for are recommendations for a 540 motor with the smallest physical dimensions, e.g., low profile end-bell, short can, etc. Or are all of these motors pretty much identical in size? What are your thoughts and suggestions?
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Motor Clearance Issues

Not going to use the R1 dig?

Check out the tips and tricks sticky, there's a link there for getting a wraith trans with DIG in there.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Doesn't look like the R1 dig is gonna make it. :( The R2 seemed like a good alternative. I did check out that thread before I posted. I was hoping for suggestions because most vendors and even manufacturer's websites don't offer much if anything at all in the way of specs and dimensions for their motors. At this point I may just scrap the R1 chassis and fab my own. It really sucks to pay so much for the kit and then scrap most of the parts straight out of the box.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

you on a deadline?

Go with the wraith trans /w dig, Parts are easy to get for it. and since you need to custom drill the holes for it in the bottom plate, you can move it around to clear whatever motor you have.

Look up bikerzee24's build thread. I believe he put in a R2 trans in, but his was a stealth chassis so it may not apply.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Not in a hurry at all. It's just that it has been almost a month and the R1 dig has not arrived so I'm thinking that it must have gotten lost in the mail.

I saw the R2 (with dig) for a good price and bought it. If it doesn't go in the Gmade, then I will use it in another project. You make a valid point regarding bikerzee24's build. I did think about that before buying the R2. The Stealth chassis is much more accomodating. But like I said, I got a good deal on the R2 and thought it would be good to have around regardless of whether or not it fits in the R1 chassis.

To be honest, I never really considered the Wraith transmission. I (perhaps foolishly) try to get away from using plastic parts whenever I have the option to do so. From what I've seen, there is a lot more plastic in/on the wraith transmission. Ironically, they also seem to be more expensive than the R2. But now that you've suggested it, I'll take a closer look.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

At this point the dig may not arrive until the new year as it is the holiday season. Let me know and we can work something out.

As for the wraith trans, you can always upgrade it to metal gears as there is better aftermarket support for it. You can probably go to a LHS and grab parts for it. The R2 may be harder as you'll have to order from rc4wd for replacement parts.

So far with my R1, only thing stock 'gmade' on it are the axles and chassis. The only real thing these guys are missing are replacement harden gears for both trans and axles.

Tags
dig unit, motor, rc4wd r2

Motor Clearance Issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body clearance issues... po' riggity Newbie General 2 03-07-2009 05:30 PM
Suspension clearance issues theslowguy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 12-28-2008 12:49 AM
Having clearance issues and other mishaps... tycodad Tamiya TLT Crawlers 7 10-29-2007 01:10 AM
clearance issues resolved joehein HPI Wheely King 7 10-28-2007 05:13 PM
Please help with Clearance issues !!!! ap714 General Crawlers 8 03-12-2006 06:50 PM