Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Belly Dragger Sawback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Belly Dragger Sawback

I had a spare Sawback kit sitting here (I bought a Sports kit for the body and spare parts) and inspired by Chief's build, I decided to build this one up as a spring under "belly dragger." Definitely building this one on the cheap...but I don't think it'll take much to make it a good trail rig.

EDIT - thanks for nothing photobucket. Updated pics on page 2

Last edited by OSRC; 07-16-2018 at 07:46 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Belly Dragger Sawback

Looks like a good thread to watch. I've done about everything possible to my Sawback and am looking for ideas for a rebuild. Might copy some of what you've got going on.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Got a bit more work done.

Cut down some Axial shocks and used some Tamiya 35mm shafts to get a 70mm shock. Perfect size, cheap, and works great. Oddly though, I only have 3 SCX10 shocks...somewhere I lost one so I had to order some parts.

cleaned up the chassis and got the electronics mounted. Pretty clean layout...I was hoping to get the ESC on the chassis somewhere but it was just a hair too tall. On the skid for now, though might end up moving it later.

Mounted up some tires and got a flex shot...running all three springs. Might take one off, not sure. Don't want a ton of flex as I don't have a lot of clearance.

Holy COG! Best part of building a belly dragger....Everything is super low weight-wise.

Waiting on some parts before I can go any further so started some bodywork. Al least got some color on it. Going to have to do something about that hole behind the front wheel.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

foot rests... screw it I said it
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Mounted up some tires and got a flex shot...running all three springs. Might take one off, not sure. Don't want a ton of flex as I don't have a lot of clearance.

Best part of building a belly dragger....Everything is super low weight-wise.

Waiting on some parts before I can go any further so started some bodywork. Al least got some color on it. Going to have to do something about that hole behind the front wheel.
Very nice, always enjoy your builds! Front inner fenders and that's a....see below...footrest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 BeelzeDub View Post
foot rests... screw it I said it
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thank you Natedog for the kind words! Having a lot of fun with this one.

Some parts are finally rolling in...CVD's and brass tubes - but I ordered the wrong set. These are for the R1 axles (which I thankfully have a set and will gladly install!) ....but doesn't help here. I ordered the correct ones and they are on the way.

Think I like the look of the stock gmade tires the best...I tried out a bunch and these seem to have the best stance, as well as won't rub everywhere. Performance on the other hand...well, we'll see. Wheels are still up for debate. Got a lot more body work done as well. Not sold on the Rubicon decals....There's an old willy's around here that has them on as a goof, but it pulls it off much better than I do here. .

The body wouldn't sit flush with the wires routed where the ESC was initially...drives me crazy. So I made a little bracket and mounted the ESC up under the hood. Much better!

Front bumper on, and winch mounted. A belly dragger needs a winch for sure! At least on the rocky-ass trails we have around here. Got the roll bar mounted here too..really changes the look of the body.

Posing with big brother...

Shocks for the front and a driver should be here tomorrow. Still need a rear bumper of sorts yet and a bit more body work, but it's getting there!

Last edited by OSRC; 02-16-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

How much flex did you get
PorkChop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Flex pic above says it all. I'm sure the springs will free up a bit after a run or two.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

that sits real nice, and looks like it would be awesome to drive in real life.
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Definitely a different kind of truck from what I'm used to.

Front shock built and installed. Rear bumper fabbed up..I wanted to use delrin, but I didn't have a long enough piece. Some 3mm 7075 will have to do.

I solved the problem of hat to do with the hole in the body by cutting it off and just boatsiding it up a little further. Took some creative bending, but it got it pretty well lined up. Really happy with it overall.

Ended up with about 1.5" clearance.

Test run time! Not sure what's with the gears, but it sounds like a ball bearing in a blender. Hopefully that calms down with time...did great otherwise. Tires did really well on my rocks, I was very surprised.

And Boom! Test run over....sharp eyes will see why.

Well, that's why you test I guess. No biggie, have a few others to try out. Driver showed up, though he's way too small. Still searching for another.

Last edited by OSRC; 02-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Really digging this build. Great work!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yeh Im liking it alot too. Think maybe this gmade will be my next build although in the LS option as I've got two leaf rigs already. I couldn't see what ended your test run?
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hard to see with the light angle, but popped the front driveshaft.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

yeah, my stock drive shafts were about as strong as wet noodles. I love this build, I have another set of sawback axles and I thought about doing a build like this with 2.2 tires but I'll probably just keep the axles as spares.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Take a look at Chiefs Sawback thread, he has 2.2's and a spring under setup. Looks badass.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks great with the side body trim and bend up nerf/skids. Maybe some Pitbull Rockbeast tires and white spoke wheels? Retro wheels and street/trail looking tires that work well.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Finally all my parts came in! New front driveshaft installed, brass axle inserts and CVD's installed as well.

Driver came in...Hunter Dan is absolutely perfect for this truck size-wise...though he kinda looks perpetually stoned. Found this guy in a lot in Ebay with a bunch of clothes and what not. Got rid of the camo (gave it all to the kids - I don'y play with dolls, I swear!) and he dropped right in.

Hmm...white Jeep, 8" action figures, anyone know where I can get a Golden Eagle Dixie decal? Bo and Luke want to play too! A nice theme to keep in mind at rebuild time....

Have a few more scale details and some inner fenders to add, but it's basically done. Jeep came out at a lightweight 2900g (6.4lbs) with a 59/41 weight split front/rear. Little nose heavy, but with it sitting so low, I don't think it'll be a problem. I only put every other screw in the beadlocks so I can swap around foams easier...I suspect after a run or two the RC$WD stock foams I stuffed in the tires will collapse, though they feel ok now.

Now for a real test run!

Last edited by OSRC; 02-23-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

First run in the wild. Did pretty good! Really, really have to watch the terrain...but it's super low and stable. I was way off in the gearing, got some changes to make for sure. Needs foams too...but all in all, a good shakedown run.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Did you make the changes after this shake out run? What did you change and how's it now?

Edit: some old syle slot mag wheels would look pretty good on here too.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-04-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

No sir, haven't touched it. Been busy working on some other rigs.. it will get some love eventually.

Belly Dragger Sawback - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project SOCOM:Belly Dragger TJ CRF450R 1.9 Scale Rigs 97 08-31-2012 11:15 AM
The Belly Dragger cornsnake Videos! 3 10-02-2009 09:45 PM
My Fatdog belly dragger Testykalz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 07-19-2008 08:14 PM
belly dragger kurt Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 03-25-2008 05:10 PM
Belly Dragger Getting Closer!!!! DirkDigler General Crawlers 26 07-29-2004 07:42 PM