Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinking of Building a new MOA Comp Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Thinking of Building a new MOA Comp Rig

So with Bergs, Bullies, and XR's out I'm sort of lost on where to begin on axles. I have a heavy trigger finger and even with the significant price drop of the XR by the time you build it up to be near bullet proof you are already in the $1,500+ range.

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to MOA rigs...but this time around instead of building a super heavy shafty I want something lightweight and controllable yet have strong axles. This is why I'm leaning on the Berg. Planning to run 3s and 4s packs with 40C and up.

Running gear I plan on having dual ESC's probably Mamba Micro Pro's. Probably a decent Hitec 7950TH w/CC BEC @ 7.4V....along with Vanquish goodies here and there.

I should be looking at the Berg V2 axle set right? Looks like I missed the ball on TCSCrawlers...anyone else know where I can get a set?

Chassis I guess is all personal preference.

Since this is going to be a pretty expensive project I'm going at it phase by phase.

I would like to know the pros/cons of the XR/Bully/Berg axles. What I would need to replace right off the bat and so forth. Looking at a total of around $2,000 budget.

I already have a 4PL with their new micro rx ready for dual esc's and motors.

Please steer me in the right direction...

Thanks guys!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Re: Thinking of Building a new MOA Comp Rig

Why do you have to dump $1500 into an XR? To me that seems ludicrous.

I've got 2 XR's sitting here with box stock running gear with the exception of delrin bushings I made and some special gear grease I've been testing. I've not broke a single thing.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Pick you up some bully axles and don't look back.

Its easy to shave weight, expensive to bulletproof.

All three crawl great, all three can win.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Been looking around for some V2 bully axles...order from RC4wd?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Alex, if you get a berg, you want the V1 axles.

If it were me, I'd look in the for sale section here....you should be able to find a good deal. Hell, just PM Shelby, I'm sure he's got a spare rig he can sell you.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Alex, if you get a berg, you want the V1 axles.

If it were me, I'd look in the for sale section here....you should be able to find a good deal. Hell, just PM Shelby, I'm sure he's got a spare rig he can sell you.
Ya do that!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Jake's performance hobbies has berg parts.
Hey guys, if you don't mind please pass this info around ... he's parting out some Berg axles and have some new parts to sell. Click here to see what he's got. he has a lot to move, so please let the crawler world know!

Thanks you!! www.jphracing.com or call 1-707-586-3375 tell him Tim said to call.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Why do you have to dump $1500 into an XR? To me that seems ludicrous.
X2, not including electronics i only have around 400-450 in my xr10. kit, vp motor plates and cases, rc4wd gears, traxxas bushings and even when running stock gears i started with a set of brood 30t's on 3s and never broke a stock gear and i wasnt easy on it
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Bully - HEAVY but bullet proof, steering can be a problem.
Bergs - Great axles, great following, plan on lots of mods and if you can find the HIGHLY desireable Super 300 axles, you might be OK and not have much carnage.
XR Axles - Great axles, LOTS of parts available, I like to call them catalog axles. You can get just about any part, bolt it right on (with no EXPENSIVE machine work) and run the dog snot out of them.

Start looking in the classified sections.
Berg or XR10's with mods can be had for $500 and up, depending on what you are looking for on options.
Right now I have a Berg rig, with some pretty serious mods done to the axles, and a brand new UGC viper chassis. If someone handed me $850, she would be gone.
Don't be afraid to ask questions or make offers to the guys selling vehicles on the boards.

If you are really set on buying a "New" set of axles. I would get the XR10. Get the motor plates from vanquish for the bigger bearings, and some knuckles and Chubs.
Twin FXR's work GREAT, and you can get them with a 45t motor. Good combo, that won't destroy those stock gears. Buy some high clerance titanium links for the chassis, maybe a used set of wheels, and you would be comping for a very good price with a decent rig. If things break, or you start seeing somethin wear out, then you can buy them piece by piece, one at a time, so you don't take a big bite of your wallet all at once.

Hope this helps a little. I could go on for hours, because I did it the semi-hard way. Built a Shafty, and then another, and then another, and then went MOA. Many rigs later, I am VERY happy with what I have and won't be changing soon.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking of Building a new MOA Comp Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thinking about starting a new comp-rig..help team423 EnRoute Berg 21 11-04-2011 08:53 PM
building a 2.2 comp rig first time 4ruggy Newbie General 4 12-17-2008 08:06 AM
thinking of building a scale rig Mr.Cool Newbie General 7 12-15-2008 11:27 AM
Thinking about building a 2.2 rig - advice? Indy Minnesota 8 04-05-2008 11:40 AM