Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axial coming out with a MOA comp crawler anytime soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: axial coming out with a MOA comp crawler anytime soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
They didn't design the wheel. They licensed the technology to them for the weight system.
regardless of how deep it was, there was clearly some behind the scenes goin on between the 2, and really if vanquish could reverse engineer, develop and release their upgrade parts so quick, why couldn't axial? a company which at the time was, and probably still is, 1000x bigger and more financially backed than vanquish. Axial should have had their upgrade parts on the shelf before the truck was, IIRC they did not have alu upgrades for months after vanquish did.

I just think axial dug their own grave on this one, and now us, the consumer, is paying the price.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
regardless of how deep it was, there was clearly some behind the scenes goin on between the 2, and really if vanquish could reverse engineer, develop and release their upgrade parts so quick, why couldn't axial? a company which at the time was, and probably still is, 1000x bigger and more financially backed than vanquish. Axial should have had their upgrade parts on the shelf before the truck was, IIRC they did not have alu upgrades for months after vanquish did.

I just think axial dug their own grave on this one, and now us, the consumer, is paying the price.
Maybe because they're 1000x bigger...
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
Neither of these companies cares about the consumer anymore. Both are bigger than that now....they only care about the $$.

Both of these companies have now abandoned the comp crawling scene, yet both seem to be trying to force their own separate agenda back into the comp scene, without showing us any support.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #44

Was gonna get an xr10 to get into the comp scene but without a good kit, and no other moa's with good part support from my lhs i just got another scaler.

I think if it was brought back as a ready to crawl it would make moa's popular.
off road again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

It's my understanding Axial as a company was sold. I called technical supporta few months ago and was told they didn't know the answer to my question because "they" recently aquired the company and
weren't familiar with legacy models. I'm sure some of you guys know
more about that than i do.
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #46
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
It's my understanding Axial as a company was sold. I called technical supporta few months ago and was told they didn't know the answer to my question because "they" recently aquired the company and
weren't familiar with legacy models. I'm sure some of you guys know
more about that than i do.
Hobbico acquired Axial awhile back.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Hobbico acquired Axial awhile back.
Just out of curiosity, was this before or after they discontinued the XR and AX? I'm bumming that I missed out on the whole XR fad. I got out of the hobby for a couple of years, but never again! I've been to the depths of RCC and it looks like it was quite a ride to be involved in. Hope I didn't miss out on the last "good o'l days". I know your into the scale stuff, so no offence, but I'll wait till I'm old and go scale instead of model trains.
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeeper View Post
Just out of curiosity, was this before or after they discontinued the XR and AX? I'm bumming that I missed out on the whole XR fad. I got out of the hobby for a couple of years, but never again! I've been to the depths of RCC and it looks like it was quite a ride to be involved in. Hope I didn't miss out on the last "good o'l days". I know your into the scale stuff, so no offence, but I'll wait till I'm old and go scale instead of model trains.
acquisition took place january 2012, xr10 disco happened oct 2012 ax10 scorp disco happened around the same time
Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Yup but I doubt you need to stock up on XR10/AX10 axle parts. Not that the endless amount of aftermarket suppliers out there will stop to continue producing aluminum/steel/titanium/delrin/plastics for Axial's loyal fan base.

I just hope with their new acquisition by Hobbico that this leads to greater and better things instead of overpriced RTR "kits" which I am beginning to see with the release of the Poison Wraith and the SCX10 Rubicon.

But I guess this is a positive step business wise for Hobbico as it will bring more people and profit into their company. I just hope that the crawling side of the r/c hobby won't turn into a madhouse like Traxxas stuff lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Dunno if this was mentioned, but out of the xr10 kit, how much if it stayed stock, on average? The common thing I saw was axles. Guys swapped everything else out. So why bother buying a whole
kit for just the axles?

IMO, I think this was why the kit declined and discontinued.

It's unfortunately for the new moa guys like me as I was looking forward to building one, but can't get one now.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

The entire disco of the xr10 solely revolves around lack of sales. Axial can spend x amount of dollars building xr10 kits that have about a 10% chance of selling or spend the exact same amount to build a wraith kit that stands to sell 90% of the time. I myself am an xr owner and love my truck and wish it were still available, but the bottom line is Axial, like any other business, is in business to make money. When red figures every quarter after the first 1 or 2 quarters of release where continually showing up, Axial could no longer justify the cost of production for the kit and thus the plug was pulled. I myself dont understand why Traxxas and there hugh finacial backing doesnt take off with a rtr rock crawler since they built there entire empire on the rtr. I personally have a boat load of green in my xr to make it more dependable then anything else along with probably everyone else that comps xr's, but when I talk to new guys wanting to get into comping for the first time and they find out a decent, dependable, potentially winning xr can easily soar over 1500 bucks, they're like screw that. My idea to blow the comp scene back up would require Traxxas or axial to release a rtr crawler and start a new spec class like what happened with the slash. Basically, you comp the rtr totally stock and only allowed to tune shocks, links and foams. The biggest problem I see is guys know they have no chance of winning with a stock or stockish truck currently, but a spec class would cure that problem. Thats my 2 cents worth.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
The biggest problem I see is guys know they have no chance of winning with a stock or stockish truck currently...
Based on what information?

2011 nats was won with a stock-ish XR10. Bender showed up to the WCS comp a few months ago and was in the top 10.

Why people continue to think that running a stock chassis will hold you back is beyond me.....practice is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than an aftermarket chassis.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Based on what information?

2011 nats was won with a stock-ish XR10. Bender showed up to the WCS comp a few months ago and was in the top 10.

Why people continue to think that running a stock chassis will hold you back is beyond me.....practice is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than an aftermarket chassis.
yepp, practice and tuning are #1, all the purdy stuff is not necessary, but does help offset lack of the aforementioned
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #54
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc dreemer View Post
i am fairly new to the MOA scene (just finishing up a bully) due to prices of xr10's) but is the decline maybe because of the MOA "idea"? or is it the decline in use? i think i agree with the the previous post related to the sale figures (or lack of), but it seems that all MOA's have fallen off... just like my bully stuff & berg as mentioned. i first got in to the rc scene because of the scale world, so i too missed out on the whole xr10 craze (MOA scene). now i am intersted in the MOA's & just like my luck they are now not available. does any one think that the MOA scene will/could pickup if a "decent" product was available? i personnally think that the main reason was it was/is very expensive to have a MOA rc. ....

any thoughts???
MOA is not new, it's always been there. Before people figured out how to make a chassis to make a TLT competitive, 2.2 Clods were winning comps.
Quote:
You're fooling yourself if you think that scalers aren't going the exact same way as comp rigs did. If you read the rules, they are the exact same thing as comp rules. The main difference I see is that the comp rules dont have as many "well, I don't like the looks of that so let's not allow it" elitist attitudes of those writing the rules....
I truly belive that the everchanging comp setup and the complete loss of scale looks is what is causing the decline of comp crawling.

People build comp courses to challenge the "latest thing", 1 lb wheels, dig, low riders, high breakover rigs, ultra light rigs, etc, and make previous rigs obsolete. I've seen 'em all come and go over the years. Manufactureres don't want to spend money on a design that will be obsolete in the next couple years and people get tired of dumping money into a toy truck trying to feel competitive.

The lure for many coming into RC and for many who have been around is the scale appeal. When the "tuber" became obsolete in comp crawling I lost interest and many others have as well. You can pretend that scale looks don't matter all you want, and I will pretend that they do, but even if scale comps die out the scale rig never will.
That is why I will keep my "elitist attitude", learn from what I think hurt comp crawling, and do what I believe will benefit RC rockcrawling in the future.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
People build comp courses to challenge the "latest thing"
I dont see that at all. I have seen first hand what happens when you build the same courses over and over again....people lose interest. People build new styles of courses to make things different and challenging.

The same thing is happening in scale.....

Quote:
The lure for many coming into RC and for many who have been around is the scale appeal.
That might be the case for you, but it certainly isnt for everyone. People love competition. If they didnt, then there would be no comps with scalers......but there are.

Quote:
...people get tired of dumping money into a toy truck trying to feel competitive.
Why does this keep getting repeated? Why do people think that money or objects makes you a good driver? Practice is free. Blaming poor driving on money or not having some new mod is a terrible excuse.

Quote:
That is why I will keep my "elitist attitude", learn from what I think hurt comp crawling, and do what I believe will benefit RC rockcrawling in the future.
Then please convince your fellow rules makers to create black and white rules.....and get rid of the "well, I dont like the way that looks, so it's not legal" crap that is in there...

Last edited by JeremyH; 06-13-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #56
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I dont see that at all. I have seen first hand what happens when you build the same courses over and over again....people lose interest. People build new styles of courses to make things different and challenging.

The same thing is happening in scale.....
Courses change with the times and obsolete equipment. When we were building driveshaft dig it was considered an advantage on the course. After the dig trans became big courses got insane tight corners and you needed it just to finish a course clean.

With Berg axles came the increased belly clearance and courses always had obstacles that would keep a belly dragger from getting up clean, or at all.

With super light rigs comes the jumping obstacles.

Quote:
That might be the case for you, but it certainly isnt for everyone. People love competition. If they didnt, then there would be no comps with scalers......but there are.
If you were right the comp scene would be getting bigger because the only thing that wins comps is practice. So why do you think comp interest is down?
For most of my friends and guys I meet at events, a scale "comp" is simply an excuse to travel 12+ hours to hang out with other link-minded folks and drive cool trucks together.

Quote:
Why does this keep getting repeated? Why do people think that money or objects makes you a good driver? Practice is free. Blaming poor driving on money or not having some new mod is a terrible excuse.
Because a shafty with dig will not even get you in the top 50% at a major comp. I agree that practice is big; as a married family man I used to get jealous of the guys who constantly beat me and their 3 times per week practice schedule. But never underestimate the lure of better equipment, it's there.

Quote:
Then please convince your fellow rules makers to create black and white rules.....and get rid of the "well, I dont like the way that looks, so it's not legal" crap that is in there...
Not possible. Scale is about looks, and looks is subjective to the individual perception. However a standard must be maintained or someone will try and pass off their Delrin sporty chassis as scale.
Scale comps are a small part of scale anyway, most scale lovers build and drive their rigs for nothing more than their own personal enjoyment. In that case, anything they feel is scale.......is.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So why do you think comp interest is down?
I think people get frustrated that they dont win at their first comp and they arent willing to put in the practice it takes to win. My club has realized that and we have adjusted our course setup to help give people confidence when they are new to comp crawling.

Quote:
Because a shafty with dig will not even get you in the top 50% at a major comp.
You sure about that? I seem to recall Jake doing pretty damn well with his LCC.....

Quote:
For most of my friends and guys I meet at events, a scale "comp" is simply an excuse to travel 12+ hours to hang out with other link-minded folks and drive cool trucks together.
Funny, same here.

Quote:
...looks is subjective to the individual perception.
Agreed. One person's perception is going to be different from another's.....especially in different parts of the country. You see any southern buggies in CO? Doubt it. You think we see any PNW looking rigs (SWB and big mud flaps) in Texas? Hell no. Do you think Mud Flaps "look scale" to me?

Every day in the scale rules section I see one guy telling another guy that something doesn't look scale and he shouldn't get points for that....

At least in the comp rules, you know how your rig is gonna be teched when you set it down on the table.

Quote:
Scale comps are a small part of scale anyway, most scale lovers build and drive their rigs for nothing more than their own personal enjoyment. In that case, anything they feel is scale.......is.
I completely agree. I like scalers. Hell, I love RCs in general. I build (or buy) my scale trucks so that they make me happy. When I show up to a comp, I ask them what class my scaler belongs in, then I drive it.

Last edited by JeremyH; 06-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #58
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I think people get frustrated that they dont win at their first comp and they arent willing to put in the practice it takes to win. My club has realized that and we have adjusted our course setup to help give people confidence when they are new to comp crawling.
I think for most people it's not even about winning. It's about feeling like you are competitive. I remember when I started placing 15th at comps. I was never one to win many comps, heck I think I only ever won 1 or 2, but I finished in the top 5 alot; I (and others) felt I was a threat to win at any comp. Once you don't feel like you are competitive and can't finish courses, you get tired of playing.

It's great to help new people and I am glad to hear that you guys do.
Quote:
You sure about that? I seem to recall Jake doing pretty damn well with his LCC.....
I knew I should have put in my disclaimer about being one of the best drivers in the country in case you pulled out something like that. I'm talking about the "also-rans" on the signup sheet, not 2 or 3 guys in the country.

Quote:
Funny, same here.

Quote:
Agreed. One person's perception is going to be different from another's.....especially in different parts of the country. You see any southern buggies in CO? Doubt it. You think we see any PNW looking rigs (SWB and big mud flaps) in Texas? Hell no. Do you think Mud Flaps "look scale" to me?

Every day in the scale rules section I see one guy telling another guy that something doesn't look scale and he shouldn't get points for that....

At least in the comp rules, you know how your rig is gonna be teched when you set it down on the table.
That's because a USRCCA tech table is all about whether or not you will be able to run. At a scale comp tech table it's more about how many handicap points you end up with, you might get denied a few points but you will be able to run.
People push rules to gain a technical advantage to perform better at comps and that's not what scale comps are supposed to be about, that's what USRCCA comps are for. Certain things like a tube bed get points, but since it's not spelled out exactly what a tube bed is people will ask if their rollbar kickers running down to the frame counts as a tube bed. You can't have rules and leave some room for creativity without some grey areas.

Quote:
I completely agree. I like scalers. Hell, I love RCs in general. I build (or buy) my scale trucks so that they make me happy. When I show up to a comp, I ask them what class my scaler belongs in, then I drive it.
And that's the way it should be.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytogen View Post
Dunno if this was mentioned, but out of the xr10 kit, how much if it stayed stock, on average? The common thing I saw was axles. Guys swapped everything else out. So why bother buying a whole
kit for just the axles?

IMO, I think this was why the kit declined and discontinued.

It's unfortunately for the new moa guys like me as I was looking forward to building one, but can't get one now.
i agree with this!!! my thought is that axial could sell the axles and the stock "chassis" for around what the whole kit cost ($150-$185) & i think they would be back in the black on sales side of it..... but my question on that (on here awhile ago) kinda didn't go too far. but i am still a newbie & don't know the who who's & what what's on here....
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
..... My idea to blow the comp scene back up would require Traxxas or axial to release a rtr crawler and start a new spec class like what happened with the slash. Basically, you comp the rtr totally stock and only allowed to tune shocks, links and foams. The biggest problem I see is guys know they have no chance of winning with a stock or stockish truck currently, but a spec class would cure that problem. Thats my 2 cents worth.
now to a newbie like me i think this sounds like it would be great idea!!!!! ....
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote

axial coming out with a MOA comp crawler anytime soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bully moa comp crawler mesooners RC4WD Bully 6 04-05-2012 04:36 PM
Is an RTR version Comp Crawler coming? tfrahm Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 07-27-2009 02:18 PM