Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New axial.... monster truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New axial.... monster truck?

I have been meaning to get an SMT chassis for my AR60 monster truck, the kit version isn't much more than just the parts for a complete chassis plus you get the unobtainium interior with it.

Last edited by svt923; 12-19-2019 at 07:21 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
Not sure if OCP is the same material as before or not on the axles.

The RTR gets a 12T 550 motor and 60A ESC, which is a nice upgrade. Seems like a 15T would have made more sense so it could be Sport Mod legal. But this one shouldn't be slow at least.
The verbiage for the description of the plastics on the axles, wheels, etc is the same as what's on the Axial site for the old SMT10. Everything, to me, is indicating it's the exact same truck except for the metal gears in the transmission which is a "womp, womp" let down. I don't care about the RTR electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The RTR is $100 less expensive and comes with metal gears. If it's got the better plastics, to me it sounds like a home run, but not the grand slam that some of us were hoping for.

$200 for the kit also sounds promising. It puts it right in the wheel house that I was hoping for. *IF* the truck has the better plastics, I'll be ordering the kit.

I would have liked to have seen the kit come with a bit more metal, but since it's only $200, that leaves enough room for aftermarket links.
It is good to see the RTR came down to $300. It was never worth $400 - not even close. But to be fair I got my first or second batch OG SMT10 for $339.99. This was at Tower Hobbies with a coupon before Axial put the stop to using coupons on their vehicles. I honestly feel the truck was a rip off even at that price. So, for people like me, it only came down $40, but they did add metal gears and, hopefully, better electronics. For the suckers that paid $400 it did come down $100.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Some other things of note;

The original black chassis had a gloss / shiny finish. This looks to be more a matte like the Capra chassis. Part number is the same for the chassis halves, it would be great if Axial could clarify for us. I would buy the chassis parts to upgrade my current SMT10 if they are a different material.

Updated wild boar driveshaft with a larger center pin. The only issue i had with the wild boars was the center spline twisting.

Still no front sway bay. Costs about $50 to add one with the stock axial parts.

Still has dog bones in the front. I think the stock Axial universals (Which are actually really good) are $40-45.

Still comes with the cast ring and pinion. Axial HD gears are $25/ea.

At $200 for the kit, i would have to check and see what the cost of piecing together the chassis, 1 sway bar, rear axles, metal gears trans gears and differentials would cost. Those are really the only original parts i would keep.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Also would like to add i'm not really complaining; i would love to see solid axle monster truck racing become more popular!
Old 12-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
For the suckers that paid $400 it did come down $100.
Or for even bigger suckers, you can buy the original SMT10 Grave Digger NIB on ebay right now for the low, low price of $725.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #66
RCC Addict

It's a kit @199 ill take one please

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/axial-rac...-builders-kit/

Last edited by Frank211; 12-19-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Up until six months ago I was head over heels into monster trucks, then literally overnight I was not into them anymore. Got back into Crawlers. I honestly got tired of fixing stuff on my monster trucks. Four out of five times I was breaking something and having to fix it.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Well, I was one of the 'suckers' that bought a Grave Digger SMT10 before it was discontinued. It was a Christmas present for my dad. While I was disappointed in the slow speed, it was a good speed for him to keep control. So far, I haven't had to rebuild/repair anything on it

I'm glad to see the GD body return, as I wanted to get a replacement as the stock one was getting scratched up.

Now, seeing the kit coming out, I'd like to build one and put a different body on it, with some JConcepts tires and wheels. So, what other bodies are out there that fit the SMT10 fairly easily?
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

JConcepts, anything with a 12.5-13” wheel base. Anything else will look a bit off due to how long the stock wheelbase is. The only tough part is cutting out the rear cab / bed to fit around the cage.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Or for even bigger suckers, you can buy the original SMT10 Grave Digger NIB on ebay right now for the low, low price of $725.
Funny thing is the new kits are still out there. People just had to broaden their searches...
Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

I'm not complaing about getting a SMT10 RBK. I'm happy there is one. BUT....

It looks like Horizon's MO when it comes to the newer kits. It's basically the RTR disassembled without electronics (or tires). In the past the Axial kits used to have some minor small upgraded parts. That looks to be going away with the 2 most recent kits.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

It looks like Horizon's MO when it comes to the newer kits. It's basically the RTR disassembled without electronics (or tires). In the past the Axial kits used to have some minor small upgraded parts. That looks to be going away with the 2 most recent kits.
If you look at Horizon's history of kits compared to their RTRs there are very few differences other than electronics. That definitely is Horizon's MO.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

To be fair, the history of Axial including hopup parts in the kits has been pretty lackluster. Outside of the HD gears and universals from the Yeti and Bomber kits, nothing considered an "upgrade" wouldn't end up replaced as quickly as the RTR part anyway.

With that said, would it have killed them to throw in a front swaybar with the kit version?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
Not sure if OCP is the same material as before or not on the axles.

The RTR gets a 12T 550 motor and 60A ESC, which is a nice upgrade. Seems like a 15T would have made more sense so it could be Sport Mod legal. But this one shouldn't be slow at least.

i thought OCP just meant Off Center Pumpkin
turboturro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #75
Let me 3D Print that...

Could be. I'm no AR60 nerd by any means.
RexRacer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Ill buy one of those builders kit, and build me a new mega truck, god i miss my old one, so much fun.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Whats it cost to piece a SMT chassis together? Because that's really to only thing I'm interested in at this point.

I firmly believe AR60 axles will not survive with big tires and big power, to say nothing about big air. I was hoping for axles based on Yeti XL architecture.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Whats it cost to piece a SMT chassis together? Because that's really to only thing I'm interested in at this point.

I firmly believe AR60 axles will not survive with big tires and big power, to say nothing about big air. I was hoping for axles based on Yeti XL architecture.
Piecing it together used to cost around $120. You could find take-off chassis, complete, on eBay for less than that. I'm sure somebody will soon part these out so you'll be able to get it either way.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is this "new release" the same as the last version minus potentially new plastics and the inclusion of the RBK?
I guess using Spektrum electronics is new.

The description doesn't seem to mention anything new and the name hasn't changed. I'm just curious.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-19-2019 at 06:56 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is this "new release" the same as the last version minus potentially new plastics and the inclusion of the RBK?
I guess using Spektrum electronics is new.

The description doesn't seem to mention anything new and the name hasn't changed. I'm just curious.

The only other difference i saw from the OG SMT10 is metal gears for the transmission.

New axial.... monster truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial bomber monster truck greazy1984 Newbie General 6 01-05-2017 06:26 PM
Axial Monster Truck? Szczerba Chit Chat 25 05-30-2016 05:30 PM
Axial Monster Truck Release? cmbscx10 General Crawlers 10 12-22-2015 10:27 PM