Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New axial.... monster truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #81
Let me 3D Print that...

Default Re: New axial.... monster truck?

+ a 12T motor and 60A ESC + lower price of $300
RexRacer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Whats it cost to piece a SMT chassis together? Because that's really to only thing I'm interested in at this point.

I firmly believe AR60 axles will not survive with big tires and big power, to say nothing about big air. I was hoping for axles based on Yeti XL architecture.
i have used the same motor and esc on my yeti xl and my wraith and my little yeti the built ar60 axles hold up much better to the power than the upgraded yeti xl axles

i wish someone would come out with more upgrade parts for that axle but in the form axial sent them out in they suck and there isent alot of upgrades for them to make them any better

i have a few clods and with 35t motors and 12t pinion on 3s it will snap axle shafts on a reguler basis with stock tires or trying to crawl it in the rocks i also break alot of axle tubes and there not vary nice on the gears ether so if the clod is the base line for monstertrucks cause it seems everyonenes comparing the smt10 too it seems to me the smt10 durabulity is right up there on par with the clod only alot more scale
not that 8 need or want another monster truck it could be a vary c99l platform to build off of but just like all axial rigs be ready for a $1000 worth of upgrads but atleast they have parts to upgrade with

Last edited by ferp420; 12-20-2019 at 06:54 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #83
Pebble Pounder

I’ve only had a few issues with the AR60. Mind you my rig is 9lbs with no battery, 3800kv brushless and JConcept GoldYears. I bought some Vanquish v2 axles to lighten up the truck some, the Xtra Speed axles are about twice the weight.

I’ve bent two sets of rear axle shafts. All can be attributed to one wheel landings. Both Axial and Vanquish. Trying LockedUp next.

The inner bearing on the front knuckle is too small for the weight / load. I kept breaking these until I shimmed the front cvd’s.

Front knuckles also come loose pretty often despite using thread locker. This damaged the threads on the Vanquish scale claiming c-hubs ($$). Thankfully fixed with a helicoil kit.

Overall they have held up pretty well. After 50+ packs I finally changed the original ring and pinion due to wear.. this is the cheap cast part that came with the RTR. I shimmed everything right out of the box.

Front Axial CVD’s, no issues at all.

Surprisingly still on the stock plastic diff cup and original gears. I run grease in the front and 100k diff oil in the rear.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #84
RCC Addict

Are the shocks different? They don't look like the icons to me.

I like the idea of the raw kit, just disappointed that they didn't come up with some better axles. I think AR60s look stupid.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Are the shocks different? They don't look like the icons to me.

I like the idea of the raw kit, just disappointed that they didn't come up with some better axles. I think AR60s look stupid.
The shocks appear to be exactly the same.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

what a let down, guess ill just keep building my cheaper mini mt's..
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The shocks appear to be exactly the same.
Its been a while since I have looked at Axial's bigger trucks. I thought the shock caps looked different than I remembered. Disappointing that its the same old Axial stuff but at least the price is more reasonable.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post

I’ve bent two sets of rear axle shafts. All can be attributed to one wheel landings. Both Axial and Vanquish. Trying LockedUp next.

The inner bearing on the front knuckle is too small for the weight / load. I kept breaking these until I shimmed the front cvd’s.

Front knuckles also come loose pretty often despite using thread locker. This damaged the threads on the Vanquish scale claiming c-hubs ($$). Thankfully fixed with a helicoil kit.
i got tiered of paying high prices for rear shafts now i use the cheapest ones i can get the exspensive shafts bend just as fast as the cheap ones even titanium shafts bend ive had some luck straightening out the cheap ones but they tend to twist the ends off after there bent a few times

the ssd knuckles have bigger bearings to fix that problem and if your running aluminum chubs and some kind of metal axle housings you can locktight the chubs on to the axle shafts and it helps with the sloppy c hubs
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Its been a while since I have looked at Axial's bigger trucks. I thought the shock caps looked different than I remembered. Disappointing that its the same old Axial stuff but at least the price is more reasonable.
The link to the old truck is still up on Axial’s site so you can compare photos to the new version. It looks identical except for electronics.

Axial Racing - SMT10
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

New axial.... monster truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial bomber monster truck greazy1984 Newbie General 6 01-05-2017 06:26 PM
Axial Monster Truck? Szczerba Chit Chat 25 05-30-2016 05:30 PM
Axial Monster Truck Release? cmbscx10 General Crawlers 10 12-22-2015 10:27 PM