Gold Star Baby!

Default New axial.... monster truck?

SMT10.2 maybe?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Jyoknp...=1jgumg53lkv3t

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New axial.... monster truck?

They definitely look like monster truck tire tracks.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Oh, wow.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Dammit. I'm trying to slow my spending.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Sure look like it may be!

Axial has been listening lately!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I hope they get it right this time

Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

I missed the boat on the first SMT10 being relatively new to the hobby. What are y’all hoping they improve/come out with for a v2?
Old 12-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks like the same tire.....

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I missed the boat on the first SMT10 being relatively new to the hobby. What are y’all hoping they improve/come out with for a v2?
It's almost certainly an SMT10. Axial has been talking about bringing the SMT10 back for a while. Rumor is that they got the Monster Jam license back, but I'm hoping it's a kit.

The AR60 axles suck for a monster truck. They can't handle power and/or 2.6 tires until you lock the diffs. Even then you have to put Beef Tubes in the axle housings so they don't snap.

The original SMT10 was typical Axial - plastic everywhere.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Please.... bring back the SMT10, with better transmission, better axles, better plastic.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post

I have an absurd amount of money into my SMT10, i think more than any of my other rigs. I think the only original parts on it are the chassis and the rear sway bars. With that said, its my favorite!

I would absolutely love to see the SMT10 chassis made of the same plastics as the Capra chassis.

Here are the issues with how it came;

-AX10 transmission with plastic gears!
-AE-5 ESC with a 27t motor... it was mega slow out of the box. And the lowest you can turn the drag break down is 50%!
-Leaky shocks, no surprises here.
-Wheels and tires, too small for a 1/10 scale MT
-Dog bones for the front axles, $45 for the universals!

One thing i would really like to see are better axles. Running Clodbuster size wheels and tires on an AR60 is probably well beyond the stress level Axial had in mind when they developed them.

-Axle shafts are not strong enough, ive bent both the Axial and Vanquish. Trying LockedUp next... I jump this rig a lot, but nothing crazy. It really only takes a landing focused on 1 wheel to bend one.
-Tiny differential gears for the power and wheel size
-Vanquish clamping rear lockouts are a requirement
-Vanquish scale clamping front chubs ($$) are almost a requirement
-Aluminum knuckles...required
-Inner bearing for the knuckle is too small

I also don't recommend locking the diffs. Steering angle is already limited by using Clod size tires, they rub the trailing arms at full lock. The locked diffs make the turning radius worse. I also think you will grenade the diff gears jumping with a locked diff. With the open diff, when you land on the rear wheels it sends the momentum to the unloaded wheel rather than trying to force the drive train to keep moving the wheels forward. I run a Castle Mamba X and a 3800kv green can now. I think the aftermarket fixes everything with the exception of the axles.

No regrets with the time and money i have in mine, its a very entertaining rig to watch because everything it does is very dramatic.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 12-16-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I think it is not what i hoped it would be ( something with narrower capra axles )
So i am in no way titillated
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #13

I really wanted an SMT10, but I never jumped in because I didn't want another $1000 money pit. I also didn't want a Grave Digger or Max Destruction truck. Hopefully this time they have a vastly more reliable platform, and a kit would be ideal.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The AR60 axles suck for a monster truck. They can't handle power and/or 2.6 tires until you lock the diffs. Even then you have to put Beef Tubes in the axle housings so they don't snap.
While I fully expect something that is like 90% the same SMT10, it would be cool if they developed a new axle for the V2 with a open diff that stands up to monster truck power.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
While I fully expect something that is like 90% the same SMT10, it would be cool if they developed a new axle for the V2 with a open diff that stands up to monster truck power.
If the axles are the 10% difference, that's all the truck will need. Use the better plastics, and use the 10.2 trans with metal gears, and the truck will be fine.

My concern is that I find it unlikely that they'll redesign axles for just one platform. Unless they're planning to update the Bomber and the Wraith, I don't see the axles changing significantly.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
If the axles are the 10% difference, that's all the truck will need. Use the better plastics, and use the 10.2 trans with metal gears, and the truck will be fine.

My concern is that I find it unlikely that they'll redesign axles for just one platform. Unless they're planning to update the Bomber and the Wraith, I don't see the axles changing significantly.
It's a monster truck so it should have open diffs IMO.

It probably won't get new axles unless, this truck is the jumping point for a brand new axle design. Doubtful, but we can hope.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I tried a STRC chassis monster truck with Wraith AR60 axles. Didnt go so well.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I think the only thing it really needs is a redesign of the axles and of course better plastic. The AX10 trans holds up fine once you get an aluminum case and metal gears . The AX10 is good also because it has a pretty small footprint, the SMT10 skid is quite small. Agreed that its unlikely they will put a lot of R&D into new or updated axles just for one platform, but maybe a sign of things to come in the future. A new axle could be used on a v2 Yeti, Wraith or Bomber... i think we are long overdue for a updated Yeti!
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
I think the only thing it really needs is a redesign of the axles and of course better plastic. The AX10 trans holds up fine once you get an aluminum case and metal gears . The AX10 is good also because it has a pretty small footprint, the SMT10 skid is quite small. Agreed that its unlikely they will put a lot of R&D into new or updated axles just for one platform, but maybe a sign of things to come in the future. A new axle could be used on a v2 Yeti, Wraith or Bomber... i think we are long overdue for a updated Yeti!
Yeah the 3-gear transmission is perfect for the SMT10. It is small so it fits right where it has to be. It also allows for the tiny skid plate as you mentioned. The problem is that it's junk plastic filled with junk plastic gears.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

I wonder if they’ll use the capra transmission (sans dig) since it’s already made of the newer materials.

Open diffs seem like a must for a quality truck but like some of you have said that would be a redesign. They did break that trend by designing all new axles for the Capra, maybe we’ll get lucky with this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
I have an absurd amount of money into my SMT10, i think more than any of my other rigs. I think the only original parts on it are the chassis and the rear sway bars. With that said, its my favorite!

I would absolutely love to see the SMT10 chassis made of the same plastics as the Capra chassis.

Here are the issues with how it came;

-AX10 transmission with plastic gears!
-AE-5 ESC with a 27t motor... it was mega slow out of the box. And the lowest you can turn the drag break down is 50%!
-Leaky shocks, no surprises here.
-Wheels and tires, too small for a 1/10 scale MT
-Dog bones for the front axles, $45 for the universals!

One thing i would really like to see are better axles. Running Clodbuster size wheels and tires on an AR60 is probably well beyond the stress level Axial had in mind when they developed them.

-Axle shafts are not strong enough, ive bent both the Axial and Vanquish. Trying LockedUp next... I jump this rig a lot, but nothing crazy. It really only takes a landing focused on 1 wheel to bend one.
-Tiny differential gears for the power and wheel size
-Vanquish clamping rear lockouts are a requirement
-Vanquish scale clamping front chubs ($$) are almost a requirement
-Aluminum knuckles...required
-Inner bearing for the knuckle is too small

I also don't recommend locking the diffs. Steering angle is already limited by using Clod size tires, they rub the trailing arms at full lock. The locked diffs make the turning radius worse. I also think you will grenade the diff gears jumping with a locked diff. With the open diff, when you land on the rear wheels it sends the momentum to the unloaded wheel rather than trying to force the drive train to keep moving the wheels forward. I run a Castle Mamba X and a 3800kv green can now. I think the aftermarket fixes everything with the exception of the axles.

No regrets with the time and money i have in mine, its a very entertaining rig to watch because everything it does is very dramatic.

That does look like fun!

New axial.... monster truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial bomber monster truck greazy1984 Newbie General 6 01-05-2017 06:26 PM
Axial Monster Truck? Szczerba Chit Chat 25 05-30-2016 05:30 PM
Axial Monster Truck Release? cmbscx10 General Crawlers 10 12-22-2015 10:27 PM