Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Building “Class 1” Yota & need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Building “Class 1” Yota & need advice

Back in 2016 I built a Sawback and changed the front to four link but never drove it... Recently I dusted it off and put the unused front leaf setup back on. Goal = Class 1 Yota build (same WB 287mm or 11.3”)

So I put shorter shocks and canted rears forward (shocks in droop setup) and removed a leaf spring on all four. Ride height is spot on but WB is too long now. As seen below:

I understand that as the suspension compresses the rear axle will swing backwards due to the spring hanger location being in front of the rear axle (reason for longer WB).

So Is this something that a “shackle reversal” will fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Building “Class 1” Yota & need advice

Apologies... Used the wrong pic up top and can’t edit on This app?

This is how it currently sits:

Old 02-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

A shackle reversal will change the direction the springs travel when compressed, but it won't make your static wheelbase any shorter. I'd never run front mounted shackles on the rear suspension, but a front shackle reversal might still help your cause To get the tires out of the front of the front fender on compression. I used Tamiya Bruiser spring hangers and shackles (but not shackle hangers) to perform a front shackle reversal on my Sawback, minimal pictures here: Sawback time!

If the goal is to move the rear axle forward, have you considered drilling new holes in the chassis and sliding the existing spring/shackle hangers forward? Depending on how far it needs to move (because this will only buy you a few mm's), you may be able to remove the alignment pin from your spring plates, drill a new offset hole in the plate and spring perch, and just bolt through them.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
If the goal is to move the rear axle forward, have you considered drilling new holes in the chassis and sliding the existing spring/shackle hangers forward?.

Dude, I was just reading your thread before posting my question... weird!

I didn’t realize shackle reversal swapped hangers and shackles respectively. I thought it was a trick to put more “arch” in the springs... thanks for clearing that up. Definitely counter intuitive doing that to the rears.

Regarding what you mentioned above, would you need to use a different hanger on the Sawback frame since the frames dimensions change immediately in front of their original mounting location?

Old 02-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Have you measured exactly how far you want to move the rear axle forward? I was thinking you could scoot the front hanger forward until its rearmost hole lines up with where the front hole currently is. You may need to put some twist into that hanger with a couple pairs of pliers, or try a combination of thick/thin shims on each side of the frame to try to compensate for the bend in the frame, depending on how bad the hanger gets into the outwards contour of the frame. The shackle hanger could then be flipped in its current location so that it points forward instead of backwards.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Have you measured exactly how far you want to move the rear axle forward? I was thinking you could scoot the front hanger forward until its rearmost hole lines up with where the front hole currently is. You may need to put some twist into that hanger with a couple pairs of pliers, or try a combination of thick/thin shims on each side of the frame to try to compensate for the bend in the frame, depending on how bad the hanger gets into the outwards contour of the frame. The shackle hanger could then be flipped in its current location so that it points forward instead of backwards.
That might just work, I keep forgetting theres spacers on the outside of the frame... Thank you, ill have to give it a try.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default Building “Class 1” Yota & need advice

Sort of followed TheLetterJ’s advice, except I always thought the moto was “Read once, DRILL HACK JAM DRILL, then read again...”

What I did to fix the rear was scoot the leading hole on front hanger to the next available hole on the frame (~ 10mm) instead of just moving the hanger over 1 hole on ITSELF. Oh well....

WB is JUST too short. In any case the rear swings backwards and fills the arch nicely.

Measurements and hanger relocation:

(Rough draft for now) To compensate for the angle of the hangers I “chino” mod the springs. I’ll mod the hanger if needed later...

Also I flipped the rear hangers and gonna see if that’s ok. So far the suspension actually feels like suspension. It’s an improvement over how the Sawback felt when it was stock??? (As a roller)

[edit: the Sawback axles are too wide for class 1 I think, so can we change a thread title to something more appropriate?]

Last edited by VR6 BeelzeDub; 02-19-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 BeelzeDub View Post
Sort of followed TheLetterJ’s advice, except I always thought the moto was “Read once, DRILL HACK JAM DRILL, then read again...”

What I did to fix the rear was scoot the leading hole on front hanger to the next available hole on the frame (~ 10mm) instead of just moving the hanger over 1 hole on ITSELF. Oh well....
run 3
WB is JUST too short. In any case the rear swings backwards and fills the arch nicely.

Measurements and hanger relocation:

(Rough draft for now) To compensate for the angle of the hangers I “chino” mod the springs. I’ll mod the hanger if needed later...

Also I flipped the rear hangers and gonna see if that’s ok. So far the suspension actually feels like suspension. It’s an improvement over how the Sawback felt when it was stock??? (As a roller)

[edit: the Sawback axles are too wide for class 1 I think, so can we change a thread title to something more appropriate?]

That looks great!

Last edited by cathyarnold; 05-20-2020 at 03:37 AM.
cathyarnold is offline   Reply With Quote

Building “Class 1” Yota & need advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building my first rc. Need electronic advice. chrisbrittian Newbie General 10 11-19-2015 06:18 PM
Need advice on building a bouncer. johncraddock445 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 11-13-2015 12:57 PM
Building new PC-advice.. crash Chit Chat 18 02-04-2014 05:09 PM
Advice on building an Xr-10 Mazdarx Axial XR10 13 06-22-2011 12:48 PM
Axle Building Advice jlsandkes Axial XR10 13 01-04-2011 08:26 AM