Notices

Thread: What's Axial up to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's Axial up to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Out of everything I said that’s all you took from it? In your own words you’re “knocking” on it. This has gone a bit further than a debate, for something you have no interest in you sure have a lot to say about it.
To be clear I’m not a “fan boy” I just get sick of reading some of this stuff. To each their own and it will be that way forever.
And in the words of Forest Gump.. well that’s all I have to say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an interest in scale, since it is licensed I guess I am knocking it in that respect. it is a discussion I am interested in. I really like the body, if there was a appropriate sized I could be interested in the body. I am tired of every other C1 body a Toyota.

Would you prefer to read only "feel good" stories about things?

If know body expresses their opinion then we will never be heard.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 02:28 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #162
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
You're confusing usefulness and rules, two different things. Also, this only applies to SORCCA rules, other groups, especially locally do things differently.

Most local clubs do their own thing, regardless of SORCCA just like most local race clubs could care less about ROAR. Same for a lot of the drag groups who ignore the national rules, especially rc drag clubs which existed long before the whole no prep craze.

In the end, most people don't even compete, they're just in it for fun. This is what drives the RC hobby more than anything and why Traxxas has been so successful.
Exactly.

If you are talking completion rules dictate not usefulness, if we are talking trail that is different. I mentioned classes to make it clear I was not talking about trail.

Even if it isn't SORRCA there are still classes and dig and 4 wheel steer will probably be in a class allowing more modification.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #163
RCC Addict

The comp talk in this thread makes me chuckle.
If you want a comp rig build a Berg or XR.
This is a trail rig, period.
I don’t think Axial gives two shits about the comp scene any more…
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:43 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Class 1, 2 or 3 scale comp, this rig is a decent starter rig for class 2 or maybe 3 with enough cutting.

For COMP comp axial axles and a bunch of aftermarket bits for shafty or straight up dlux berg is all that's worth buying.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 07-29-2021 at 09:46 PM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You don't get out much, do you?
Old 07-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #166
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
You don't get out much, do you?
Sorry, I don’t get your point.
Axial has been focusing on the “trail” experience for a few years now.
I attended the last few West Coast Championships sponsored by Axial,
as well as the first few Axialfest events. Did you?
Are they sponsoring any competitions that I am unaware of?
Old 07-31-2021, 12:16 AM   #167
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Comp nowadays is short from competition, compete etc. So any build you use to compete somewhere is your comp build. Competition trail rig, monstertruck, nitro buggy, racing drone etc are all comp builds. Used to mean something more specific but not anymore.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:31 AM   #168
Quarry Creeper

As Axial ever been in comp trucks since the end of the XR10 anyway ?
Is there many Axial based comp trucks that are not more aftermarket catalogues of Axial parts than using real Axial parts ?

Axial makes scale trail trucks ... some are more capable than others, but they are still trail trucks.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:39 AM   #169
Quarry Creeper

-- sorry double-post --
Old 07-31-2021, 07:12 AM   #170
I wanna be Dave

axial has made several non trail trucks
the exo wasent a trail truck
the wraith was sold as a rock racer even though its model3d after a trail truck that was converted to a rock racer
the bomber a almos5 exsact copy of the randy slawsons king of the hammers winning rig
and the yeti a purpose built rock racer and its bigger brother the xl
and the new rift not even close to a.trail truck
the capra a straight up moon buggy scale comp crawler
and then the xr also far from a trail.truck

only the scx line of rigs are sold as scale trail trucks but all there rigs are.scale.to a point and are based off of a real rig except maybe the
ax line i still dont know what they were all about
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 AM   #171
Rock Crawler

Quote:
When it comes to scale comp Axial is very popular. Even people run their RTRs but mostly Axial parts. As far as scalers unless you are running more specialized stuff from smaller companies Axial is popular. They are more popular than Traxxas and Element.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-31-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #172
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
When it comes to scale comp Axial is very popular. Even people run their RTRs but mostly Axial parts. As far as scalers unless you are running more specialized stuff from smaller companies Axial is popular. They are more popular than Traxxas and Element.
Understood and agreed, but Axial does not pay attention or promote the “comp” scene, whether it is scale or not.
I think you missed my original tongue in cheek comment that was making fun of “comp scalers”.
All good man, I am not here to argue or swing dicks.
They are just toy cars, and I have a whole room full of them. A lot are Axial based. None are Traxxas.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #173
Rock Crawler

Been out of the game for a while again. Love the bronco look. It's one of my favorites of all times. But I'm not super big fan of the price. Especially for a rtr version. I have the stock spectrum stuff in my gladiator and not impressed with the other of it. I could maybe feel like I could justify the price if it was a brushless system. So either I'll be waiting for a kit or just be stupid and get the rtr one day.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:35 AM   #174
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
axial has made several non trail trucks
the exo wasent a trail truck
the wraith was sold as a rock racer even though its model3d after a trail truck that was converted to a rock racer
the bomber a almos5 exsact copy of the randy slawsons king of the hammers winning rig
and the yeti a purpose built rock racer and its bigger brother the xl
and the new rift not even close to a.trail truck
the capra a straight up moon buggy scale comp crawler
and then the xr also far from a trail.truck

only the scx line of rigs are sold as scale trail trucks but all there rigs are.scale.to a point and are based off of a real rig except maybe the
ax line i still dont know what they were all about
Wraith, Bomber, Yeti, Capra, Rift and Exo are not comp trucks either ... they are scale rock crawlers/rock bouncers/desert go-fast ... scale look comes first, performance follows ... they are all trail trucks, just some are more "hardcore" than "grandpa" trail ...

AX and XR were comp truck as we expect them to be ... dedicated performance oriented chassis and drivetrain with no interest in scale driving nor look.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #175
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Wraith, Bomber, Yeti, Capra, Rift and Exo are not comp trucks either ... they are scale rock crawlers/rock bouncers/desert go-fast ... scale look comes first, performance follows ... they are all trail trucks, just some are more "hardcore" than "grandpa" trail ...

AX and XR were comp truck as we expect them to be ... dedicated performance oriented chassis and drivetrain with no interest in scale driving nor look.
Depends on the rules you are following. WRCCA, SORCCA, local.

Depends on what you consider scale. Wraith, Bomber, Yeti, Capra, Rift and Exo to me are not scale, they do not look like a production vehicle.

If you are comping C1 SORRCA your AX and XR would not be a comp truck, it wouldn't fit the rule set.

If you aren't comping and don't care about rules than it is all up to what ever you want.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-03-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #176
Rock Crawler

‘Too each his own’ I guess.

However, I like it as a semi scale toy car that actually works, with the kindof ‘looks’ I go for. “Comps” or RC competitions in general had me burnt-out years ago. Too many ego’s, too much RC-peen waving. Too much ‘He who spends the most wins easier’ . No thanks. I like my toycars like this Bronco. Good looking, nice size with opportunities to put all kinds of fun model-building stuff in- and on it., -and, knowing all iterations of the SCX personally- Nice to putt-put around with adequate off-road ability, reasonably sturdy hardware and electronics that can survive most abuse short of over-powering it with ridiculous voltages and high-torque 5-slot 550 monster motors that twist axles like pretzels.

Been there. Done that. Had no fun.

All in all, especially if there is a builders’ kit coming ( I hope so) I’ll get one. After the disappointment that was the RYFT to me, I’d like a really good looking, not too fast rig to just bomb around for a bit in stock form, without breaking stuff, just fun. No pressure of ‘purists’ that get completely hung-up on a cm of wheelbase- or width difference. No snide comments that this- and this motor there CAN’t be any good and why I didn’t get the €-many costing ‘brand H’. Nope. Just driving around for a long time ( 35-turns on a 5000 amp will last forever) having fun on a bit of rough terrain, enjoying the tech, seeing the suspension doing its thing, enjoying the working 2-speed, etc. Same kind of enjoyment I get from the Tamiya Bruiser.

BUt, that’s just me. I’m too old to get the energy up for the fanatics in the comp-scene. ( Funny thing, though: Now I’m a lot older, and financially in a very good position to buy about every fancy aluminium part I can get my hands on.. I completely lost intrest in that.. odd. As a young lad I drèamt of buying the expensive aluminium and carbon stuff the ‘pro’s had in the competitions.. and now? Seriously ‘mêh..’ )

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-02-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
‘Too each his own’ I guess.

However, I like it as a semi scale toy car that actually works, with the kindof ‘looks’ I go for. “Comps” or RC competitions in general had me burnt-out years ago. Too many ego’s, too much RC-peen waving. Too much ‘He who spends the most wins easier’ . No thanks. I like my toycars like this Bronco. Good looking, nice size with opportunities to put all kinds of fun model-building stuff in- and on it., -and, knowing all iterations of the SCX personally- Nice to putt-put around with adequate off-road ability, reasonably sturdy hardware and electronics that can survive most abuse short of over-powering it with ridiculous voltages and high-torque 5-slot 550 monster motors that twist axles like pretzels.

Been there. Done that. Had no fun.

All in all, especially if there is a builders’ kit coming ( I hope so) I’ll get one. After the disappointment that was the RYFT to me, I’d like a really good looking, not too fast rig to just bomb around for a bit in stock form, without breaking stuff, just fun. No pressure of ‘purists’ that get completely hung-up on a cm of wheelbase- or width difference. No snide comments that this- and this motor there CAN’t be any good and why I didn’t get the €-many costing ‘brand H’. Nope. Just driving around for a long time ( 35-turns on a 5000 amp will last forever) having fun on a bit of rough terrain, enjoying the tech, seeing the suspension doing its thing, enjoying the working 2-speed, etc. Same kind of enjoyment I get from the Tamiya Bruiser.

BUt, that’s just me. I’m too old to get the energy up for the fanatics in the comp-scene. ( Funny thing, though: Now I’m a lot older, and financially in a very good position to buy about every fancy aluminium part I can get my hands on.. I completely lost intrest in that.. odd. As a young lad I drèamt of buying the expensive aluminium and carbon stuff the ‘pro’s had in the competitions.. and now? Seriously ‘mêh..’ )
This X2 for me, plus what House said too!

I typed some other stuff, but you summed it all up well.

As for costs, it's dollar for dollar less now to get scale realism with great performance than in the past. I had quite a bit of cash in my original SCX10 at the point it was on par with modern RTR and Builders kits at more money into it than what these kits cost.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:01 AM   #178
Rock Crawler

@TexasSP.

Wholly agree with Your ‘dollar for dollar’ ( or Euro for Euro, in my case) remark. If I think what an actual ‘scale’ vehicle like the Tamiya Bruiser, or Mountaineer cost in ‘the days of yore’ brrr. Corrected for inflation, we’re talking 1000 euro’s, or more, withòut TX and battery. Other companies also made ‘scale’ trucks and such, like Robbe, Wedico and some other brands I forgot about, in Germany, and they were even more expensive once they were ready to take out and weren’t even clóse to ‘RTR’ out of the box. And a simple transmitter with enough channels to use extra functions like shifting? You could buy a reasonably well maintained 2nd hand réal car for that money in those days.

We’re spoilt for choice nowadays, as they say.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-03-2021 at 05:07 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Default Re: What's Axial up to? (Axial SCX10III Bronco)

Well for those of you worried about the price, all of Axial’s kit and RTR prices went up today. $30-40+ depending. I mean we all expected it but a little notice would have been nice. Or maybe I’m being naive and out notice was the price released with the Bronco

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:51 AM   #180
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's Axial up to? (Axial SCX10III Bronco)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Well for those of you worried about the price, all of Axial’s kit and RTR prices went up today. $30-40+ depending. I mean we all expected it but a little notice would have been nice. Or maybe I’m being naive and out notice was the price released with the Bronco

I am sure if they are doing it the other already have or will follow.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-04-2021 at 06:08 AM.

What's Axial up to? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM